Ultimate Ears & M-Audio Partner to Bring Professional Reference Earphones to Music St
Sep 21, 2006 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7
Hi all – Mike here from Ultimate Ears. I want to share some major industry news with you but first I would like to take a minute to thank all of you who have helped make Ultimate Ears the company that it is today. When we first launched our super.fi products a year and a half ago, our very first shipment was sent to Guitar Center retail stores. They flew off the shelves like hot cakes but not because musicians were scrambling to get them into their ears. Nope. They moved so quickly because head-fi members were blowing up the boards talking about UE releasing a universal fit headphone. And once the word got out that Guitar Center had the product, everyone who had been patiently waiting and who was ready to take a gamble on us ran out and made a purchase. To all of those EARLY adopters --- a huge GIANT THANK YOU. And to everyone who took those early recommendations here on head-fi and in turn, went out and purchased your own set of super.fi’s, giant Thank Yous as well. We as a company are truly a sum of all of you! We hope that we have made listening to music a little bit more fun. And we hope that we continue to innovate and push the audio experience.

And now to bring my story full circle – super.fi’s will no longer be sold at Guitar Center. But this is a GOOD thing. Ultimate Ears has chosen M-Audio to be our exclusive technology provider in the music industry channels. This partnership will allow even more people to hear music as it was meant to be heard. We can not think of a better partner. So if you were planning on getting a super.fi for a loved one as a gift, please help support our new partner by once again making that trip over to Guitar Center to pick up a new IE-Professional Reference Earphone.

OK – Printed below is our official press release but before you get to it – let me explain how this works. M-Audio will distribute product that is powered by UE technology. Here is the breakdown.

Super.fi 3 Studio = M-Audio’s IE-10

Super.fi 5 EB = M-Audio’s IE-20 XB

Super.fi 5 Pro = M-Audio’s IE-30

And here is the link to the official M-Audio page: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...D=Earphones%20

And don’t forget to visit www.ultimateears.com for a little bit more info ( and to see our cool new home page designs)

Lastly – I would love to personally hear from any of you who purchased your super.fi’s from Guitar Center back in the early days. Please drop me a line and if you are so inclined – please tell me your story on how and why you ended up with Ultimate Ears. Photos would be greatly appreciated. Funny photos. I really can use some laughter. Getting this deal ready (along with nearly-releasing a few new products) has slightly dampened my mood
wink.gif
It is easier to mail me at mdias@ultimateears.com than to PM me.

THANK YOU and ENJOY!

Ultimate Ears & M-Audio Partner to Bring Professional Reference Earphones to Music Stores

M-Audio to become exclusive provider of Ultimate Ears technology in M.I. channel

LOS ANGELES, CA and IRVINE, CA (September 21, 2006) --- M-Audio and Ultimate Ears today announced a strategic partnership that brings Ultimate Ears technology to the M-Audio brand. As part of the agreement, M-Audio will be the exclusive provider of Ultimate Ears Super.fi universal fit technology in the music industry channel beginning October 1.

M-Audio, a part of Avid Technology Inc., manufactures a wide array of creative tools for computer-centric musicians ranging from microphones and studio monitors to mobile recording gear. The relationship with Ultimate Ears adds earphones to M-Audio’s product portfolio, providing an important complement to the company’s popular reference monitors.

Ultimate Ears has been the leading supplier of custom-molded reference earphones for professional musicians since 1995. The partnership with M-Audio increases Ultimate Ears’ penetration in the retail music market by leveraging M-Audio’s established brand and dealer network.

The first phase of the relationship involves M-Audio’s new IE series of professional reference earphones, scheduled to ship this fall. The IE series leverages Ultimate Ears technology to deliver exceptional audio fidelity in diverse environments. Applications include onstage monitoring of performances, click tracks and backing tracks; mobile recording with devices such as M-Audio’s MicroTrack 24/96; and personal earphones in the studio. M-Audio IE reference earphones also can be used to upgrade the sound delivered by Apple iPods and other portable music players.

All three IE models have a unique shape and snug fit designed for comfort as well as superior noise isolation. Each model comes with a universal fit kit containing an assortment of ear tips in different sizes and materials enabling personalized adjustment for individual users. The IE series also features a new look, distinctive packaging and included travel cases.

“Partnering with M-Audio gives us a massive global retail footprint for the technology we developed for our universal fit earphones,” said Mindy Harvey, president of Ultimate Ears. “This aligns us with one of the most respected brands in the industry, and ensures that we are fully represented in the retail music channel. M-Audio will bring our Super.fi technology to the largest possible pool of musicians and audiophiles.”

“Given our position as a leader in reference monitors, we thought it made sense to give our customers a top-quality solution for professional reference earphones as well,” said Tim Ryan, general manager of M-Audio. “Ultimate Ears is the industry standard in the professional market. This partnership enables us to rapidly deliver a line of premium products, and provides the potential for collaborating on more products over the longer term.”

Sep 22, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #2 of 7
I'm not a big fan of Guitar Center. Only place where buying and returning merchandise with cash is more of a PITA than buying with a credit card.

Good to hear you guys are growing even more.

Quote:

Super.fi 3 Studio = M-Audio’s IE-10

Super.fi 5 EB = M-Audio’s IE-20 XB

Super.fi 5 Pro = M-Audio’s IE-30

Honestly, the M-Audio naming convention is confusing. It does not relate to the UE counterparts at all. Unless that is exactly what M-Audio wanted.

-Ed

Sep 22, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 7
Yeah -- funny how difficult it is to name something. I know. I know. All IEM's should just be called super.duper.fi's

If I ever have kids - I think I am going to opt for the standard alpha-numeric format. MD-01 MD-02 ect... and then if I ever knock up another girl, then that can be a new family line. (How can I work in a triple joke here????)

Ed - come on -- I know you want an EW-01

Thanks guys for the shout outs!

Sep 22, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 7
Hi Mike,

Congrats!

I've been a big fan of my 5Pros and would buy another once these crap-out. I've noticed that the MSRP for the "IE-30" is now $299. Any idea if that will results in higher street-prices? Also, are the differences purely cosmetic, or were there some design tweaks?

Thanks,
GTP

Oct 6, 2006 at 8:03 AM Post #7 of 7
Got a peek at the M-Audio packaging, I really like it. Particulary the "3-D"ness of the front photo.

I like the windowed "book style" boxes you guys have coming up. As I always say, anything that costs over $100 should not be in a blister pack.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back