Tubular Bells SACD...does it exist?
Dec 21, 2001 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Beagle

His body's not a canvas, and he wasn't raised by apes.
I see it on HMV website. Yet I ask at HMV stores and they do not have it on their database. Same with the other music stores I tried. Anybody ever see it or own it? Is it available in Canada?

Dec 21, 2001 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
I see it on HMV website. Yet I ask at HMV stores and they do not have it on their database. Same with the other music stores I tried. Anybody ever see it or own it? Is it available in Canada?

I have seen it, and owned it shortly thereafter. Dunno about Canada, but I suspect so.

Dec 24, 2001 at 1:28 PM Post #4 of 6
Dec 24, 2001 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 6
Well, not sure what you are saying, but there are two mixes on the same SACD: both the two-channel (stereo) and four-channel (surround) mixes. I didn't think the stereo mix was a downmix of the quad mix, though. It's just that it's the first surround SACD ever.

Dec 30, 2001 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 6
I have the 2000 HDCD re-release of Tubular Bells. This Mike Oldfield's classic was the first record ever released under the Virgin label. Not bad...

Sound quality isn't bad, but not impressive either. It sounds 1973ish. A little white noise and a little low-frequency rumble. I can live with it. I love the stereo panning of all the instruments at the end of the first song. Each instruments starts from the left and slowly moves to the right. Then it all layers up and it's just awesome
biggrin.gif
It COULD be really impressive on 4 channels. Otherwise, I don't see the point of a SACD stereo version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back