Tidal vs Spotify
May 1, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #376 of 382
Tidal still has a lot of MQA tracks.

On suggested mixes I would guesstimate that something around 1/3 to 1/2 would still be MQA.

Frankly, while they have improved the transparency around FLAC files I don’t see any indication that they intend to ditch MQA altogether.

May 1, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #377 of 382
FLAC files I don’t see any indication that they intend to ditch MQA altogether.
tho their statement seemed clear that they wanna get rid of it completely, but we will see, it might be possible that there is much paperwork around this in terms of licensing and what not

May 1, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #378 of 382
I don’t believe I have seen a single song in my own playlists that has gone from MQA to FLAC.

I understand what they said they were doing but I haven’t seen any sign of a move to mass replacement of MWA to FLAC.

As you say we will see in time.

May 1, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #379 of 382
Isn’t MQA out of business? If so, as soon as the contract is up, they’ll all go poof.

May 1, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #380 of 382
Isn’t MQA out of business? If so, as soon as the contract is up, they’ll all go poof.

I think it has been bought out by another company.

I assume that Tidal can keep using what they already have regardless, not sure, contract obligations might impact that as you said.

I don't have any particular objection to MQA despite that it is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist but mixing MQA and FLAC in playlists semes to give Tidal app developers problems with connected USB DACs. The current version of the Android app for example will ask to have control over a USB DAC and if you OK that the app will play MQA but when a FLAC file starts there is no sound. It will happily play all MQA or all FLAC but the mixing seems to trip them up for some reason.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 4:12 AM Post #381 of 382
No, my method measures the voltage difference between different ground points, so essentially the potential difference between them!
It doesn’t matter what aspect of power you’re measuring, please provide the measurement of the effect it has, as you claimed!

G

May 2, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #382 of 382
It doesn’t matter what aspect of power you’re measuring, please provide the measurement of the effect it has, as you claimed!
To actually proof the fact that this kind of "leakage" does something, someone would probably need to build a contraption where he can actually influence the leakage directly to a larger degree, maybe then things become "obvious", also a proper measurement device probably helps here...

beside that, i have active speakers and a usb powered interface currently, so measuring this in any form is pretty much impossible with my current setup, unless i do it the multimeter way

I just measured the Ifi Power X 5V power supply.... if its turned right around i measure 0,02V leakage .... on the other (wrong) position i measure 0,25V .... thats a factor of 12.5

Also measuring on a 5V power supply in relationship to the actual ground 0,25V leakage seems actually quite high

If these things are not enough to show you there is a actual difference i dont know what will, but i guess you wanna see some dac output measurements
well for me, i just turn the friggin plugs the right way for free and stop wondering about this crap since measurements line up with audible preference here... (but i know, this is the wrong sentence in this forum....)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back