The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
May 8, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #3,601 of 3,612
You guys talking about the Aegis here has been really helpful - on the dedicated threads it's more praise and less insight into the sound signature. When folks like @Monsterzero say that if he could pull a Marty McFly he'd just go with an Aegis, it piques my interest but I am also chasing the tubiest of tube sounds. I have what I consider 3 end-game, TOTL tube amps and I sometimes sit (bask?) in front of them and admit I have way too many. But I can't imagine who I'd vote off the island between the Glenn OTL, HA-300B, or DNA Stratus. When I see @Wes S leave his HA-300B for the Aegis, I notice. Plus, I have great tubes already on hand for it, so now as I bask in my amps, I wonder who should go to make room (the fact that the ZMF version allows 5U4Gs is really appealing to me, particularly).

I heard the Aegis at Canjam last year and the word that stuck in my head was "diffuse". Massive sound stage, but without the thump of the HA-300b or the mid-range clarity/focus/elevation of the Stratus, but those were show conditions and I discounted them. Let alone the magic of the Glenn, the layering is holographic and three dimensional and the impact is near 300b level with my current tubes.

The recent descriptions above remind me of the SW-51, but with massive stage. Dryer, more solid state, fast, less reverb or decay. For those recent posters, is that how you hear it, or have you experienced the SW-51 to compare it, in terms of soundstage. The only SS amp I have is a Piety and that's more tubey than the SW-51 was, and in my tube chase the latest effort is a custom-built PCM63 tube DAC with 6SN7 and EZ80 tubes... tubes upon tubes. I don't own any planars and don't plan to (I prefer electrostats to planars, particularly classic, easy to drive estats).

So to those who have spent extensive time with the Aegis, in non-show conditions, can I stop being obsessed with the Aegis if I'm chasing that warm, wet sound on dynamic cans?
If you already have 3, what’s one more?
(This also seems to apply to cats. Ask me how I know?)

Rather than spending time considering which amp to lose, you could be looking at shelving solutions that will fit 5 or 6 big amps. (Always plan ahead for future growth.)

May 8, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #3,602 of 3,612
You guys talking about the Aegis here has been really helpful - on the dedicated threads it's more praise and less insight into the sound signature. When folks like @Monsterzero say that if he could pull a Marty McFly he'd just go with an Aegis, it piques my interest but I am also chasing the tubiest of tube sounds. I have what I consider 3 end-game, TOTL tube amps and I sometimes sit (bask?) in front of them and admit I have way too many. But I can't imagine who I'd vote off the island between the Glenn OTL, HA-300B, or DNA Stratus. When I see @Wes S leave his HA-300B for the Aegis, I notice. Plus, I have great tubes already on hand for it, so now as I bask in my amps, I wonder who should go to make room (the fact that the ZMF version allows 5U4Gs is really appealing to me, particularly).

I heard the Aegis at Canjam last year and the word that stuck in my head was "diffuse". Massive sound stage, but without the thump of the HA-300b or the mid-range clarity/focus/elevation of the Stratus, but those were show conditions and I discounted them. Let alone the magic of the Glenn, the layering is holographic and three dimensional and the impact is near 300b level with my current tubes.

The recent descriptions above remind me of the SW-51, but with massive stage. Dryer, more solid state, fast, less reverb or decay. For those recent posters, is that how you hear it, or have you experienced the SW-51 to compare it, in terms of soundstage. The only SS amp I have is a Piety and that's more tubey than the SW-51 was, and in my tube chase the latest effort is a custom-built PCM63 tube DAC with 6SN7 and EZ80 tubes... tubes upon tubes. I don't own any planars and don't plan to (I prefer electrostats to planars, particularly classic, easy to drive estats).

So to those who have spent extensive time with the Aegis, in non-show conditions, can I stop being obsessed with the Aegis if I'm chasing that warm, wet sound on dynamic cans?

I haven't heard the SW-51 sorry..

yes and no. The Aegis is has precise and fast sound, but it's delicate and expansive. It's not SS like. It simply sounds like there is less that interferes with the signal path, pristine and beautiful presentation. But not dry. It's very engaging. There are stereotypes for SS and tubes amps; to use them for the purpose of conveying a feeling, think of the best of both - the speed and resolution of SS, coupled withe euphoric and holographic presentation of a tube amp.

I concur with Wes' description below. Never owned the HA300mk2 but heard it few times at shows and it has a distinct emphasis in mid bass/low mids that is thick sounding. The Aegis isn't similarly colored and sounds more open.

As an avid fan of the HA300MK2 and now planning on going straight Aegis, the Aegis truly offers everything the HA300MK2 does and actually a bit more as well.

I had the same reaction hearing one at CanJam Dallas as you did, and honestly I was not expecting to ditch my HA300MK2 at all. However, once I heard the Aegis in my own home, it was clear (pun intended) to me that it is playing on a different level. The HA300MK2 is thick and slams, and the Aegis is not as thick in the lower mids, but can most definitely slam just as hard. The HA300MK2 sounds a bit veiled after hearing the Aegis, and honestly I never thought that before the Aegis entered into my life. The Aegis has just as expansive staging if not more as well, of which is something the HA300MK2 does extremely well. The decay and reverb with the Aegis is also just as good or better. I feel the Aegis has better balance from top to bottom, and is tighter sounding overall. Lastly, the Aegis is dead silent with all my ZMF's, and the HA300MK2 is not. I personally think the Aegis pairs better with all ZMF's, however if I owned some brighter headphones from other manufacturers, I could see the HA300MK2's lower mids warmth a plus.

The Aegis has it all without any weaknesses, and is truly something special. I personally think it's the perfect amp, and especially for ZMF headphones.

So with all that said, I would keep being obsessed and get you one. :wink: With the Aegis you still get all the tubey goodness and euphony, it's just super tight and balanced as well, with a TOTL level of clarity.

May 8, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #3,603 of 3,612
I haven't heard the SW-51 sorry..

yes and no. The Aegis is has precise and fast sound, but it's delicate and expansive. It's not SS like. It simply sounds like there is less that interferes with the signal path, pristine and beautiful presentation. But not dry. It's very engaging. There are stereotypes for SS and tubes amps; to use them for the purpose of conveying a feeling, think of the best of both - the speed and resolution of SS, coupled withe euphoric and holographic presentation of a tube amp.

I concur with Wes' description below. Never owned the HA300mk2 but heard it few times at shows and it has a distinct emphasis in mid bass/low mids that is thick sounding. The Aegis isn't similarly colored and sounds more open
How would you say it compares to the ZMF OTL/Taboo combo? I've been tube rolling on the MK IV I found about a month ago and I'm just about settled on what I like (will put up a "journey" post soon). I had the opportunity to listen to the Aegis as well in Dallas last year and was VERY impressed. I should've listened to it longer, but I was way too busy trying out the Atrium and my VC on the ZMF OTL and Taboo MK III Zach had there. I'll be in Dallas again in November trying it out again though. I was curious to get your thoughts on the comparison as you have the same Decware combo.

May 8, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #3,604 of 3,612
How would you say it compares to the ZMF OTL/Taboo combo? I've been tube rolling on the MK IV I found about a month ago and I'm just about settled on what I like (will put up a "journey" post soon). I had the opportunity to listen to the Aegis as well in Dallas last year and was VERY impressed. I should've listened to it longer, but I was way too busy trying out the Atrium and my VC on the ZMF OTL and Taboo MK III Zach had there. I'll be in Dallas again in November trying it out again though. I was curious to get your thoughts on the comparison as you have the same Decware combo.

that's just an esoteric and specific combo, not sure how many others will ever get their hands on it. But this is getting 2 amps instead of one, and I do prefer the Decware/ZMF OTL for my ZMF dynamic amps and the decware combo for my Caldera. It's a very committed combo in both amp purchases (with total cost of around double the Aegis) and tube rolling (again double tubes). For me, the OTL is the ultimate driver for high impedance dynamics. I wrote a whole review so don't want to repeat too much, but it's just incredibly lush and immersive. The Decware combo is extremely holographic and makes the Caldera sing in a unique way.

if I looked for one amp that would be best to play both dynamics and planars, I'd choose the Aegis. For example, I can't drive the Tungsten off the above combo, but the Aegis is one of the best amps I've ever heard with it. Similarly, I can't drive low impedance dynamic headphones with the OTL in most cases, but the Aegis can do that very well. The Aegis can even drive IEMs with a totally dark noise floor (incredible when considering it's range of power).

That is why I have both. And why there are never simple answers in our hobby.. only trade offs in the context of your goals. Hope this helps you pursue your goals..

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #3,605 of 3,612
I appreciate the insight from you all here. As a non-planar owner, the jack-of-all trades aspect doesn't apply to me @goldwerger, but I take your point. And the appeal of the lower-mid thickness of the HA-300b was why I got it in the first place, and why it offers such a different experience to my other amps (also I just bought the thing! I hate now planning my exit... with the WE300Bs not even close to being burnt in), but @Wes S your explanation here makes a lot of sense and gives me the best sound triangulation yet.

@cats4cans your ridiculous point is well taken - that I have 3 (5 if you count both a modded Stax amp and the Piety) is why I bought this bad boy recently. I live on A/B testing, I could never live with a single amp - the delta tells the story, for me. Comparisons (food, beer, scent, sound, etc) are my favorite experiences - but reality sometimes intrudes and adding a $4k amp requires some effort and justification! The racks are not the issue, I just added some because the HA-300b and incoming Abbas DAC.

In any case, I'll do what I do - keep my eye on the classifieds, visit Canjam, read impressions, hit up my DIY friends - and expect an Aegis to be on one of those shelves someday. If any SoCal Aegis owner in wants to rotate in one of mine, I'd love to live with an Aegis in my setup for a couple weeks.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #3,607 of 3,612
Speaking of the Aegis. . . :grin:

1000005406.jpg

May 8, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #3,608 of 3,612
I appreciate the insight from you all here. As a non-planar owner, the jack-of-all trades aspect doesn't apply to me @goldwerger, but I take your point. And the appeal of the lower-mid thickness of the HA-300b was why I got it in the first place, and why it offers such a different experience to my other amps (also I just bought the thing! I hate now planning my exit... with the WE300Bs not even close to being burnt in), but @Wes S your explanation here makes a lot of sense and gives me the best sound triangulation yet.

@cats4cans your ridiculous point is well taken - that I have 3 (5 if you count both a modded Stax amp and the Piety) is why I bought this bad boy recently. I live on A/B testing, I could never live with a single amp - the delta tells the story, for me. Comparisons (food, beer, scent, sound, etc) are my favorite experiences - but reality sometimes intrudes and adding a $4k amp requires some effort and justification! The racks are not the issue, I just added some because the HA-300b and incoming Abbas DAC.

In any case, I'll do what I do - keep my eye on the classifieds, visit Canjam, read impressions, hit up my DIY friends - and expect an Aegis to be on one of those shelves someday. If any SoCal Aegis owner in wants to rotate in one of mine, I'd love to live with an Aegis in my setup for a couple weeks.

I like where you're heading... :wink:

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

May 8, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #3,609 of 3,612
@bigjako I think you are well covered with your amps and other amp will just be side grade for you unless you go ultra-high end. I would suggest getting some preamp to compliment the amps you already have.

May 8, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #3,610 of 3,612
I could never live with a single amp - the delta tells the story, for me.

Isn't it funny / how ascetic are the Objectivists who say there's no difference, let alone an audible one.
@kumar402 you're right, but a sidegrade is not a bad thing, especially at this level. Sidegrade me sideways!

But I hear you, and that's really my point. I've heard the Airmid (tbh, it is the best amp I've ever heard - sadly I cannot own one), I respect the #^%@# out of @L0rdGwyn - so is this the right sidegrade for me or do I respect it and leave it to others (as I treat the Susvara)?

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #3,611 of 3,612
(deleted duplicate)

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #3,612 of 3,612

Attachments

• 1715220757907.png
    1715220757907.png
    218.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back