SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 29, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #15,556 of 15,563
The appeal of walkman for me are its dsp processing.
I always exclusively use either vinyl setting, dc phase or a combination of both.
To buy this and not use it is like getting an amazing house with a pool, and never go swimming in it.

Sony dsp allows me to listen at low volumes as it has the ability to change bass characteristics that allows for lower volume listening.

Knowing what I know now using 1AM2, I wish I bought ZM2.
Absolutely, the Sony features are to be used. We are happy to have the DSP/EQ options, as they expand the options of what the DAP can do.
It is also normal, and not surprising, if the extra processing uses more battery.
Like having a supercharged car, that will use more gas when you turn it on. Sure it uses more gas, but so what? It gives you the adrenaline rush that you want.
And would you turn on the SuperCharger to get your kicks, and then complain about the fuel economy? That would be silly.
(If you cared mainly about fuel economy, you would not have installed the supercharger.)

It's good to have options to choose from.

The user has control, and decides what they want.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #15,557 of 15,563
I used to leave my WM1Z on all the time for months/years. Now with the WM1AM2, I do the same thing, unless I am going to use another DAP for awhile. Then I will shut off the one I am not using. There is no problem with leaving it on all the time, so it is up to you which you choose.
Either way is fine, but if you are using it regularly, and don't like the longish boot time, then just leave it on.
Or just adapt your habits, start the boot, and do something else. Don't sit there watching it boot, unless you enjoy it. It is easy enough to work this into your routine. It can either be a non-issue which you don't notice, or a deal breaker that you can't stand, and will not put up with. Your choice.
You could also focus on the things that it does right, like playing music in a way that you enjoy, and weigh/decide what you value the most in a DAP.

And if you must watch it the whole time while it is booting, and it gets you riled up every time, then get another DAP.
I actually enjoyed watching my Sony WM1ZM2 to bootup, usually my mood would be good that I have the intention of listening to some good music to chill.

Apr 29, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #15,558 of 15,563
I actually enjoyed watching my Sony WM1ZM2 to bootup, usually my mood would be good that I have the intention of listening to some good music to chill.
After a long day, a man cannot wait to plug-in and "switch off" during the commute back home. God bless Sony. 🍺

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #15,559 of 15,563
Just found out my WM1AM2 has a microphone. And an accelerometer.
Like, why? Is this because Sony used some components from their Android phones? Didn't they build these DAPs from the ground up?
Has anyone else found a use for these as they pertain to the Walkman?

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #15,560 of 15,563
Just found out my WM1AM2 has a microphone. And an accelerometer.
Like, why? Is this because Sony used some components from their Android phones? Didn't they build these DAPs from the ground up?
Has anyone else found a use for these as they pertain to the Walkman?
Perhaps these are official requirements set upon by Google for their Android certification. Google is known to place a lot of special requirements upon Device manufacturers in order for these OEMs to use Google’s offiical Playstore version of Android.

You can disable these sensors using developer option. It has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread and M2 Walkman optimization guide.

Some of us here have noticed some sound quality improvements by using Sensors Off as well.

Apr 29, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #15,561 of 15,563
+1 considering selling 1ZM2 as well... either scopping first gen 1Z in time or 1AM2 again... ZX300 with MrWalkman FW satisfies my DAP tastes for travel + home evening in bed listening. Also love the straight forward Sony Linux opereating system. I do zero streaming on 1ZM2-exclusively music app. I wish Sony would release a straight in house OS Dap again...

Past few months been using IEMs on the desktop DAC+AMP combo which surprisingly works well without any hiss.
6year old ZX300 for falling to sleep and 1AM2 for Portable use here.
Just can't bring myself to sell the ZX300.

Apr 29, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #15,563 of 15,563
6year old ZX300 for falling to sleep and 1AM2 for Portable use here.
Just can't bring myself to sell the ZX300.
ZX300 is such a classic, a lifetime keeper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back