Sennheiser HD820
May 4, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #4,366 of 4,370
The Phonitor XE is a low impedance output (0.36 ohms) - the original Phonitor 2730 had a 9 ohm output impedance and was too noisy with low impedance headphones, but absolutely loved high impedance headphones.

May 4, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #4,367 of 4,370
IMO i'd skip the aftermarket cables and look for an OTL tube amp for the 820. That 300ohm driver really responds to changes in amplifier output impedance, which OTLs specialize in generally. Most solid state amps put out less than one ohm output impedance. OTLs are all over the place but tend to be much much higher, as much as 100ish OI. That creates a more optimal dampening factor for the driver. 300ohm dynamic drivers in general really thrive on tube amplification for this reason. I have an 820 and run mine at work with an old Woo WA3, and the difference between it and a solid state amp is quite noticeable. Everything sounds more spread out and separated, while also having slightly longer decay and an overall more natural sound. Just food for thought.
I am moving to Europe so wanted to hold off on anything tube. I assume it is similar to guitar amps and I would have to put on a transformer. Has anyone used the Woo Mini Tube amp with the HD820?

May 4, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #4,369 of 4,370
IMO i'd skip the aftermarket cables and look for an OTL tube amp for the 820. That 300ohm driver really responds to changes in amplifier output impedance, which OTLs specialize in generally. Most solid state amps put out less than one ohm output impedance. OTLs are all over the place but tend to be much much higher, as much as 100ish OI. That creates a more optimal dampening factor for the driver. 300ohm dynamic drivers in general really thrive on tube amplification for this reason. I have an 820 and run mine at work with an old Woo WA3, and the difference between it and a solid state amp is quite noticeable. Everything sounds more spread out and separated, while also having slightly longer decay and an overall more natural sound. Just food for thought.

Even with the A16? So I should go source -> A16 -> Valhalla 2 -> Hd 820 -> me ?

May 4, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #4,370 of 4,370
The soundstage is noticeably bigger but the difference isn't huge. Maybe like 20-30% bigger? The overall listening experience for content that does not need a large soundstage is only marginally better on the HD 820 and I might actually prefer the more cozy feel of the T5p 3rd gen for audiobooks and some types of music. Imaging is much better on the HD 820 though and its easy to listen at unsafe volumes caus every time I increase the volume I hear something new in the audio. For what I was looking for (large soundstage) I got what I wanted so I wont be returning it. Though I do wonder if I should have just skipped it and put that money towards the A16.
I replaced the cable with a shorter one from Hart (the stock one is unwieldy). Comfort is better than the T5p (which is already a very comfortable headphone). I use the Dakoni fenestrated sheepskin on both, I havent really tried the stock ones. I'd say I can wear the T5p for about a movie's length without any comfort issues and the 820 for about twice as long. Its really big on my head though so it looks silly on video calls. I also own the AKG K702 and at least it doesn't give you the martian silhouette that the K702 does which is honestly peak clownish. The silhoeutte of the T5p is fine
They also included a usb drive. I dont have a sacrificial device handy where I can plug in random usb drives so I dont know whats in it. Apparently they've decided to unload some extra stress on their customers
Apologies I cant be more technical in my descriptions. I only bought these so I can watch movies more immersively so I cant speak to the shape of the sound curves and other hifi stuff that other people talk about :)
Overall if I had to do it over I'd think very carefully about whether I care about anything as much as I care about soundstage but for me I know the answer is no so I would make the same decision I think
USB drive just contains test results specific to the pair you purchased, along with the manual.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back