Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
May 1, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #1,996 of 2,004
So if I use a sub and listen in "headphone only" mode does the sub get the lower frequencies instead of the headphones?
No, there is no internal crossover.

May 2, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #1,997 of 2,004
So if I use a sub and listen in "headphone only" mode does the sub get the lower frequencies instead of the headphones?
The idea there is that the HD600 has a very famously rolled off bass, and anybody hardcore enough to do this kind of thing would have a subwoofer with an LPF on it. Set the LPF and subwoofer volume to taste.

May 2, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #1,998 of 2,004
Well maybe this amp just isn't for someone like me. Would be nice to have a "one and done" solution for both speakers and headphones. But I'll just have to keep those two separate.

May 2, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #1,999 of 2,004
Well maybe this amp just isn't for someone like me. Would be nice to have a "one and done" solution for both speakers and headphones. But I'll just have to keep those two separate.
With this between the amp and sub:
https://www.schiit.com/products/sys

You have a one and done solution.

If this is somehow more of a pain in the ass than two solutions, I will be shocked.

However, as always, the choice is yours.

May 2, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #2,000 of 2,004
It's a great dual purpose amp, just not for your specific needs - unless @thefitz got the right answer for you.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 1:08 AM Post #2,001 of 2,004
So I snagged the just an amp and have had it about a week now. I have a Bifrost 2/64 and Triangle Comete 40th speakers. First of all I love the volume precision of this amp. The last few amps I’ve had and have seem to go quiet to loud quickly, build is great as well. I think I’m having a hard time adjusting though to the transparency perhaps. I feel vocals have really taken over compared to my quad vena 2 amp. I can’t believe I’m saying this but I feel a bit of magic is gone from some songs I really like. One of my favorite bands the war on drugs I’m having a hard time detecting the synth in the background was the first thing I noticed on the song under the pressure. I’m gonna keep going with it for a few more days as it’s a major hit to send it back when I paid in Canadian.

May 3, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #2,002 of 2,004
So I snagged the just an amp and have had it about a week now. I have a Bifrost 2/64 and Triangle Comete 40th speakers. First of all I love the volume precision of this amp. The last few amps I’ve had and have seem to go quiet to loud quickly, build is great as well. I think I’m having a hard time adjusting though to the transparency perhaps. I feel vocals have really taken over compared to my quad vena 2 amp. I can’t believe I’m saying this but I feel a bit of magic is gone from some songs I really like. One of my favorite bands the war on drugs I’m having a hard time detecting the synth in the background was the first thing I noticed on the song under the pressure. I’m gonna keep going with it for a few more days as it’s a major hit to send it back when I paid in Canadian.
This is w speakers only? If comparing headphones, please if possible use the XLR output vs the SE output, it specs and sounds well better - esp on power hungry planars.

I bought my Rag 1 in 2016 after a long face off with my then Pass X-150 amp. The Rag 1 had a slightly narrower stage, and slightly less impact in the bass, and a whitish/washed bit around 6k - but these were all minor. The Rag 2 has more power, better bass impact, and a more coherent treble than the Rag 1. Between '16 and '23 I used my Rag 1 with Triangle Celius 202's (w/ ribbon tweet I installed along with lowering treble output) - and it was very nice.

Quad has been known to make some very excellent amps - not to mention speakers - I have a friend looking for a small high quality Integrated and this Vera 2 seems like a good choice to look into.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #2,003 of 2,004
This is w speakers only? If comparing headphones, please if possible use the XLR output vs the SE output, it specs and sounds well better - esp on power hungry planars.

I bought my Rag 1 in 2016 after a long face off with my then Pass X-150 amp. The Rag 1 had a slightly narrower stage, and slightly less impact in the bass, and a whitish/washed bit around 6k - but these were all minor. The Rag 2 has more power, better bass impact, and a more coherent treble than the Rag 1. Between '16 and '23 I used my Rag 1 with Triangle Celius 202's (w/ ribbon tweet I installed along with lowering treble output) - and it was very nice.

Quad has been known to make some very excellent amps - not to mention speakers - I have a friend looking for a small high quality Integrated and this Vera 2 seems like a good choice to look into.
I have pretty basic HP with the drop 58x. I didn’t have any real complaints with them but I rarely use them. I don’t even think there is a real issue other then I think the amp is just maybe not quite the match with my speakers which lack bass somewhat. The quad (and the little SMsL ao200 I had) both seemed just to help out more. The vocals sounds great. I’m gonna try out my other speakers with the amp later.
Thanks for your insights. I do like the quad amp, my only real complaint is it will suffer from interference when my phone is around. Whenever I get texts, messages or emails phone calls it will buzz annoyingly so I had moved it to a vinyl setup.

May 3, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #2,004 of 2,004
I have pretty basic HP with the drop 58x. I didn’t have any real complaints with them but I rarely use them. I don’t even think there is a real issue other then I think the amp is just maybe not quite the match with my speakers which lack bass somewhat. The quad (and the little SMsL ao200 I had) both seemed just to help out more. The vocals sounds great. I’m gonna try out my other speakers with the amp later.
Thanks for your insights. I do like the quad amp, my only real complaint is it will suffer from interference when my phone is around. Whenever I get texts, messages or emails phone calls it will buzz annoyingly so I had moved it to a vinyl setup.
Yes, very interested in what you report going forward - I'm a fan, but, reasonable and well considered opinions always welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back