Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
May 7, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #2,821 of 2,835
I got my LiM morphed into a MiB before the MJ3 arrived, so did not get to listen to the LiM / MJ3 combo. However, I can say the MiB / MJ3 stack sounds really nice, similar to the LiM, just more detailed but retaining the inky black background and musicality of the LiM. There is zero grainy or strident treble with my stack at all. The LiM has a slight dark tilt, but the MJ3 might well pair OK with it. All genres I have heard on my stack have been incredible to my ears. YMMV as usual...
I know many have praised the treble quality of the MIB version, so I imagine it’s a great pairing with the MJ3. I certainly have no complaints with my A2 either.

It all comes down to synergy and personal preferences in the end though, so there’s no wrong answer. For some, the LIM may very well be the best fit.

May 8, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #2,822 of 2,835
I got my LiM morphed into a MiB before the MJ3 arrived, so did not get to listen to the LiM / MJ3 combo. However, I can say the MiB / MJ3 stack sounds really nice, similar to the LiM, just more detailed but retaining the inky black background and musicality of the LiM. There is zero grainy or strident treble with my stack at all. The LiM has a slight dark tilt, but the MJ3 might well pair OK with it. All genres I have heard on my stack have been incredible to my ears. YMMV as usual...
Going from a BF2, I’m pretty pleased with the LIM- It’s the best sounding DAC I’ve heard and I now get why Yggys have such a dedicated fanbase. I’m not too worried about any tradeoffs compared to the OG or MIB, they’re all going to sound better than the BF2, which is no slouch of a DAC itself. It doesn’t sound dark compared to the BF2, but I’ve also heard the BF2 described as slightly tilted dark too. Given my age I may just be able to hear it.

There’s a tendency in our hobby to always want the very best. I’m that way too but at the moment I’m pretty happy with really good.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #2,823 of 2,835
After two days of using the Mjolnir 3 (about 20 hours) the sound is still closed and devoid of detail.
Until now I have not perceived details, soundstage and all the qualities that have been said.
I wanted to ask you guys how long it takes to burn in and be able to fully appreciate Mjolnir 3.
I use a Pontus II Dac, a Hermes DDC and Meze Elite headphones.
Been listening to my MJ3 for a couple of months now and I didn't notice the lack of SQ you are describing. If anything
it has one of the best sound stages I've heard. A lot of MJ3 owners have noticed the MJ3 can be very picky concerning the DAC's that are used with it, so, just maybe that is worth experimenting with. I didn't believe all this DAC talk at first having heard little difference with DAC's on other HPA's. I was using an SMSL M400 at first and just recently changed it for an old PS Audio NU Wave DAC I've had for some years, a DAC I thought was okay but nothing special. After I plugged it into the MJ3 I knew I had been completely wrong. This DAC is way better than I thought, with depth, base and accuracy that just plain brings out the music performance. It put the SMSL M400 clearly in the shade. Why or how this should be so, I don't know, maybe it's the large toroid inside the PS Audio, it is very heavy. Others have claimed the Yiggy works well too, but it is way above a price I'm willing to pay where I live. Anyway changing the DAC is worth a try. It also worth going balanced, I found the sound becomes somewhat more open.

May 8, 2024 at 2:29 AM Post #2,824 of 2,835
After two days of using the Mjolnir 3 (about 20 hours) the sound is still closed and devoid of detail.
Until now I have not perceived details, soundstage and all the qualities that have been said.
I wanted to ask you guys how long it takes to burn in and be able to fully appreciate Mjolnir 3.
I use a Pontus II Dac, a Hermes DDC and Meze Elite headphones.
Give it around 80 hours. After that point I haven't noticed much improvements. The way you perceive openness and detail retrieval also depends on what amplifiers you are coming from. The MJ3 is very good in that regard, but not top of the line. (Warm up time is also important with the MJ3. I also found that it sounds best after roughly 2 hours.)
Although betula's impressions and feedback are great, i feel like the MJ3 may have been the only amp of the 3 that really scales (which im sure he knows as well), so while his comparison's seem spot on, i have take his actual ratings with a grain of salt as the eversolo and cyan dacs wont bring the MJ3 to its top tier performance. The MJ3 is said to be alot more dac picky than either of the other 2 amps. I wish he was able to do his testing with an yggdrasil or better, but regardless of the dac used it was a fantastic write up and very much appreciated. again, well done my friend.
I do not use the Eversolo as a DAC, it is only on streamer duty. The DAC in there is pretty mediocre. I also wish I had the Yggy around, but IMO the Cyan 2 is an absolutely fantastic DAC that punches way above its price range.
Is Cyan the new Holo DAC ?
Yepp.
It is, but its there lower end model, i havent heard it personally but i would assume that its maybe Bifrost 2/64 level. i say this because passion for sound felt like the yggdrasil is better than the spring but not better than the may, where as the cyan sits beneath both. so id compare it to bifrost. also, i run a bifrost with my mj3 and i know its my weak link, the mj3 let me know it pretty easily.
While I haven't heard the Yggy, the Cyan 2 absolutely smashes the Bifrost in all regard. Some owners sold their Spring DAC as they didn't find the improvements worth it over the Cyan. MJ3 could be a better combo with the Yggy (after all they are the same Schiit), but the Cyan 2 is definitely not on Bifrost level. It is a serious class above.
I love Passion For Sound and our taste in headphones is very similar, but with his DAC assessments I often disagree. He loves Chord sound and he is not too keen on R2R DACs. I am the opposite.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #2,825 of 2,835
While I haven't heard the Yggy, the Cyan 2 absolutely smashes the Bifrost in all regard. Some owners sold their Spring DAC as they didn't find the improvements worth it over the Cyan. MJ3 could be a better combo with the Yggy (after all they are the same Schiit), but the Cyan 2 is definitely not on Bifrost level. It is a serious class above.
I love Passion For Sound and our taste in headphones are very similar, but with his DAC assessments I often disagree. He loves Chord sound and he is not too keen on R2R DACs. I am the opposite.
Did anyone compare Bifrost and Cyan to the Denafrips Ares 12th? From what I noticed, the Denafrips is rather lush, doesn't deliver a very detailed sound and lacks some texture in the low end. However, it sounds rather large in terms of soundstage and makes vocals sound good with an overall "natural" timbre. So with what I like and dislike, what can be expected when switching to the Cyan or Bifrost?

May 8, 2024 at 3:19 AM Post #2,826 of 2,835
Did anyone compare Bifrost and Cyan to the Denafrips Ares 12th? From what I noticed, the Denafrips is rather lush, doesn't deliver a very detailed sound and lacks some texture in the low end. However, it sounds rather large in terms of soundstage and makes vocals sound good with an overall "natural" timbre. So with what I like and dislike, what can be expected when switching to the Cyan or Bifrost?
IMO the Cyan 2 is a class above the other two DACs. The Ares has large images and nice R2R tone, but compared to the Cyan 2 it sounds diffuse and too smooth, unrefined. The Cyan 2 dials up clarity, dynamics and focus to next level. It also improves on soundstage depth and overall separation/clarity. All of this with the same natural R2R sound. It is an immediately obvious improvement which promptly made me sell my Pegasus.

May 8, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #2,828 of 2,835
I'm using balanced input and output
I would give the MJ3 more playing time and see if it opens up and improve. We have similar gear so I would expect you should hear a nice spacious soundstage with plenty of detail like I do.

What head amp are you coming from, as that would affect how you perceive the MJ3. I came from a Jot2 and it was a major improvement for me with the MJ3 in those areas that you are seeking.

May 8, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #2,829 of 2,835
I would give the MJ3 more playing time and see if it opens up and improve. We have similar gear so I would expect you should hear a nice spacious soundstage with plenty of detail like I do.

What head amp are you coming from, as that would affect how you perceive the MJ3. I came from a Jot2 and it was a major improvement for me with the MJ3 in those areas that you are seeking.
I didn't use any preamp.
I'm coming from a tube amp.
I wanted an alternative to the tube sound.

May 8, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #2,830 of 2,835
.... A lot of MJ3 owners have noticed the MJ3 can be very picky concerning the DAC's ... I didn't believe all this DAC talk at first having heard little difference with DAC's on other ... just recently changed it for ... DAC I've had for some years, a DAC I thought was okay but nothing special. After I plugged it into the MJ3 I knew I had been completely wrong. ... Anyway changing the DAC is worth a try. It also worth going balanced, I found the sound becomes somewhat more open.
I had a very similar experience. When I compared a 2 DACs I had, which I thought sounded the same with speakers, one was very clearly superior to the other through Mjolnir 3. Both had pleasing tonality (timbre?) -- one was a bit more clear/precise/etc.

I've been in the camp that amps make more difference than DACs for speakers and headphones. After the above, I don't know what to think anymore :triportsad:

In sum, I wouldn't say that MJ3 is picky so much as transparent to source.

May 8, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #2,831 of 2,835
So I’ve been A/Bing the MJ3 and the Mentor and I thought I’d drop in some thoughts. I make no pretence to being able to properly review equipment, this is all my opinions and reactions. I won’t be saying anything anyone else hasn’t said. My interest is I generally prefer class A, and these are both similarly price, highly reviewed units that really go all out.

My chain is PC/ CD > MScaler and Dave > MJ3/Mentor > Meze Elite

The soundstage on the Mentor is incredible. So wide, so much separation between instruments, just the biggest I’ve heard. The MJ3s soundstage is good, but not this good. However, I do find vocals on the Mentor are further away than I’d like, and the MJ3 puts things closer and where I like them.

The Mentor’s detail is precise, clear and crisp. Neutral and excellent. At no point unpleasant. The MJ3 has detail, but there’s a definite house sound. Same with timbre and tone. The Mentor is clean, but the MJ3 has a richness that attracting and comfortable.

I feel these are both really good amps, and its down entirely to what you want from them. The Mentor is a technical marvel which will reproduce what your DAC can give it. The MJ3 has a definite house sound, and it’s a closer beast to my previous MHA200 than it is the Mentor. For me the MJ3 has a sense of life that the Mentor, while wider and deeper, instead has a forensic quality. I appreciate the Mentor, but I prefer the MJ3 as a daily amp. In a crude sense, science vs art. I do wonder whether other headphones will change these conclusions, I am unsure, but the plan is to give it a bit longer and consider selling the Mentor.

May 8, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #2,832 of 2,835
So I’ve been A/Bing the MJ3 and the Mentor and I thought I’d drop in some thoughts. I make no pretence to being able to properly review equipment, this is all my opinions and reactions. I won’t be saying anything anyone else hasn’t said. My interest is I generally prefer class A, and these are both similarly price, highly reviewed units that really go all out.

The soundstage on the Mentor is incredible. So wide, so much separation between instruments, just the biggest I’ve heard. The MJ3s soundstage is good, but not this good. However, I do find vocals on the Mentor are further away than I’d like, and the MJ3 puts things closer and where I like them.

The Mentor’s detail is precise, clear and crisp. Neutral and excellent. At no point unpleasant. The MJ3 has detail, but there’s a definite house sound. Same with timbre and tone. The Mentor is clean, but the MJ3 has a richness that attracting and comfortable.

I feel these are both really good amps, and it’s down entirely to what you want from them. The Mentor is a technical marvel which will reproduce what your DAC can give it. The MJ3 has a definite house sound, and it’s a closer beast to my previous MHA200 than it is the Mentor. For me the MJ3 has a sense of life that the Mentor, while wider and deeper, instead has a forensic quality. I appreciate the Mentor, but I prefer the MJ3 as a daily amp. In a crude sense, science vs art. I do wonder whether other headphones will change these conclusions, I am unsure, but the plan is to give it a bit longer and consider selling the Mentor.
Great comparison, thanks for posting your impressions of these two popular amps.

I also have the Elite paired with a MJ3 and really like the combo. What settings are you using on the MJ3? With the Elite, I’ve settled on low gain, push-pull, and no feedback.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #2,833 of 2,835
Wow, Schiit and Flux must of planned this lol they truly trade blows, down to the facts that the MJ3 has a preamp, push-pull, and feedback switches while the flux has no preamp, but has that fancy volume control and is stackable for an over the top dual-mono experience. They are like night and day of the same tier. Great time to be an audiophile.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #2,834 of 2,835

I feel these are both really good amps, and its down entirely to what you want from them. The Mentor is a technical marvel which will reproduce what your DAC can give it. The MJ3 has a definite house sound, and it’s a closer beast to my previous MHA200 than it is the Mentor. For me the MJ3 has a sense of life that the Mentor, while wider and deeper, instead has a forensic quality. I appreciate the Mentor, but I prefer the MJ3 as a daily amp. In a crude sense, science vs art. I do wonder whether other headphones will change these conclusions, I am unsure, but the plan is to give it a bit longer and consider selling the Mentor.
Nice write up. I would think darker and richer headphones/gear would be a better match with Mentor to balance things out.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #2,835 of 2,835
I do love my MJ3 amp. But the Aegis tube amp seems to be calling my name. LOL Am I headed deep down a rabbit hole here? Very possible. I think my audio disease is going terminal. :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back