RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
May 7, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #6,016 of 6,027
It's easy to be dismissive about these things without trying them. If switch mode power supplies were satisfactory everyone would use them, they're not, they're noisy things made to a budget, not for optimal sound quality.

May 7, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #6,017 of 6,027
It's easy to be dismissive about these things without trying them. If switch mode power supplies were satisfactory everyone would use them, they're not, they're noisy things made to a budget, not for optimal sound quality.

Well, Benchmark would disagree. They managed to reach pretty damn optimal sound quality with a switching mode PSU in their HPA4.

May 7, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #6,018 of 6,027
Well, Benchmark would disagree. They managed to reach pretty damn optimal sound quality with a switching mode PSU in their HPA4.
Interesting setup you have there. How does the Benchmark stack compare to the RME? I wanted to get one of those a while back.

May 7, 2024 at 7:43 PM Post #6,019 of 6,027
Interesting setup you have there. How does the Benchmark stack compare to the RME? I wanted to get one of those a while back.

I'll quote my full comparison below, but the very short version is that the Benchmark stack has a slight edge in sound quality, but I'd recommend the 2/4 on every other metric. I could even see preferring the 2/4 on sound quality too in some use cases.

TLDR; Stack to stack, the Benchmark has greater resolution and clarity, resulting in more detail across the whole spectrum, while the RME has a fuller bodied, more saturated sound with wider staging. Although I prefer the sound of the Benchmark, the RME is absolutely the best value in audio I've yet experienced. While $2500 might be a lot, it's the cheapest I've seen for a DAC/amp combo that is amazing at every category of sound and can drive nearly everything. It simply has no shortcomings, no omissions, and no weaknesses, something I cannot even say about the Benchmarks. Add on its DSP features, its tiny footprint, its AIO format, its ADC capability, etc., etc., and it simply can't be beat for price to performance.

20231122_145331.jpg

Mostly, the differences between the two are rather small, and it's only in direct comparison to the Benchmark stack that the RME sounds like I'm describing. Taken in isolation, the RME is very clean, while maintaining a full sound. It has excellent resolving ability and imaging, and an expansive soundstage.

In the bass, the RME has less impact, but more presence and bloom, giving the bass a fuller feel to it. The bass lingers around longer. The Benchmark has more control, allowing the bass to be isolated by the ear more readily, while also having more focused impact to each bass note. In the mids, the RME doesn't quite manage the instrument separation, layering, and control that the Benchmark has. On the LCD-5, my most difficult to drive headphone, the mids become a bit glaring and harsh, characteristics they don't show when played through the Benchmark. For both treble and mids, the RME isn't as detailed, especially when it comes to perceiving room effects or subtle positional cues. While the RME does seem to have a wider soundstage, it renders less specific imaging. Also, it seems to blunt the decay and reverb trails of sounds. This gives a greater sense of black background, but it doesn't sound as natural. Sort of like turning up the contrast in an image. This also negatively effects the shimmer of cymbals, especially in busier passages.

When paired with the ZMF Atticus, a headphone that I personally find sensitive to amps, the RME sounded better subjectively that the Benchmark. It sounded lusher and more inviting, softened the too bassy FR some, and expanded the soundstage out quite a bit. I enjoyed the Atticus more with the RME than any other amp I've tried, even tube amps. On the other hand, the LCD-2C came off as a slightly muffled, flabby in the bass, and kind of lifeless through the mids on the RME, which is definitely not my experience with the Benchmark. Gone was the impactful but clean bass and detailed mids. This was the worst pairing with the RME. The Arya v2 was an interesting case, as it sounded quite different between set-ups, but it's hard to say which one I ultimately prefer. With the RME, it gained some much needed warmth and fullness in the low-end and lost a little of the crispy, metallic edge it can sometimes have. On the other hand, the Benchmark, as with all my headphones, wrung out the very last bit of detail, control, and clarity. Both takes on the Arya were excellent.

As a standalone DAC, the RME wins easily, but for a weird reason. The Benchmark DAC outputs 24v at line-out, making its ouput out-of-spec many amps (this is the reason I wanted another DAC in the first place). So, I had to compare RCA out on the DAC-3B to XLR output on the RME. With my WA22 as the amp, that was an easy victory for the RME. It just sounds more dynamic and resolving, plus I could use all the DSP adjustments on the RME to tailor the output. It's possible that this all comes down to the difference in inputs on the WA22, rather than the outputs on the DACs, but I can't verify that one way or the other.

For sensitive IEMs, the differences were hard to discern. Also, I am frankly unlikely to use either over my DAP, for practical reasons and for sound quality. Given a choice, I would choose the RME for its more IEM-friendly 4.4mm output (over the Benchmarks XLR).

As a wrap up, I love both the RME and the Benchmark stack, but I give the RME the higher recommendation because in addition to its spectacular sound quality, it is ridiculously versatile. Seriously, it is the only DAC/amp worthy of being called an all-in-one. Nearly everything else is frankly just a two-in-one.

May 7, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #6,020 of 6,027
I do trust them, but having heard the difference replacing the power cable on my amp with a high quality one and upgrading from one PSU to another in my previous Naim Audio system, I don't regard it as snake oil but a valid upgrade. PSUs and cables are very important.
RME clearly stated somewhere that any "better" PSUs will not improve sound quality of their DACs at all. They even said in their forum that their new LPS were not going to improve SQ for adi-2 lines. They are only for who want them.

I'm a bit confused the point of their LPS. Maybe they have plans for future products. Let's see :)

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #6,021 of 6,027
RME clearly stated somewhere that any "better" PSUs will not improve sound quality of their DACs at all. They even said in their forum that their new LPS were not going to improve SQ for adi-2 lines. They are only for who want them.

I'm a bit confused the point of their LPS. Maybe they have plans for future products. Let's see :)
Correct. I won't speak for rme, but it was my understanding the linear supply was made for those using the adi products for testing rigs, not specifically for any audible sound quality improvements, for measurement stability to eliminate variables when testing other devices through the conversion in a loop.

If i am way off base, i have no problem saying im wrong 😁. Anyone can contact RME support to ask them outright if the linear supply will improve anything, and here it straight from Rme if you wish to be sure. In the usa it is Synthax in FL. They are very helpful.

May 9, 2024 at 11:41 PM Post #6,024 of 6,027
Hello,

I would like an adi-2 FS to drive an hifiman he1000v2 stealth...
Is there enough power ?
I don't know if there is a contender with same value for money, I want to say below 1000€.

Thanks Greg

Should drive those without any issues, they're not that hard to drive.
You want a little overhead in the power to enable you to play around with EQ as well, but I think you'll be fine with the adi-2 dac fs.

May 10, 2024 at 3:54 AM Post #6,025 of 6,027
Hello,

I would like an adi-2 FS to drive an hifiman he1000v2 stealth...
Is there enough power ?
I don't know if there is a contender with same value for money, I want to say below 1000€.

Thanks Greg
It works nicely for me:)

May 10, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #6,026 of 6,027
I have purchased Violectric V-222 amp and use RME ADI-2 as DAC, honestly the difference in sound is minimal, V-222 is slightly warmer in sound, but the quality is not better, just different, I assume the same difference applies to tube amps.
My Violectric has more power, which I honestly don't need, I don't play louder now than before just because I have more power, is it worth the difference? for me it was as I like a slightly warmer sound, but the cost is not worth it unless you have the money to spare.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 2:05 AM Post #6,027 of 6,027
I have purchased Violectric V-222 amp and use RME ADI-2 as DAC, honestly the difference in sound is minimal, V-222 is slightly warmer in sound, but the quality is not better, just different, I assume the same difference applies to tube amps.
My Violectric has more power, which I honestly don't need, I don't play louder now than before just because I have more power, is it worth the difference? for me it was as I like a slightly warmer sound, but the cost is not worth it unless you have the money to spare.
As I mentioned before the ADI-2 is a well balanced package and the perceived difference to the V222 is small, the limiting factor is probably the RME DAC. If you add for example a Chord Qutest to the V222, then it is a step above from the RME, but feels like a small step for more than twice the cost. I have the ADI-2 mainly as pre-amp on one system, the V222 on another and the HPA4 mainly as pre-amp on another but when I had all of them together and did some comparisons between the headphone amps although the difference was clear (even more with other DACs on the V222 and the HPA4) it seemed small compared with the price difference. Like in a bike, if you pay 1000 euros more you get one weighing 2 kg less, the next 1000 euros will shave only 1 kg to the weight, the next 1000 euros only 500 g and so on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back