PSVR 2
Feb 26, 2023 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

whitedragem

500+ Head-Fier
Quick glance reveals no threads on the topic of this ‘toy’ presently…

So here goes;

Screen is nice,.. like the first headset, appears to have an near infinite resolution ‘when the headset is moving’, but if held stationary, jagged edges and ‘pixels’ can be seen.. (usually aliased as ‘dual screens’ and eyes ‘lining up the pixels’ means a resolution that appears a lot denser than it is).
This is based on a misconception that the first PSVR was ‘not very good quality’. which wasn’t really true, so much as being paired up with hardware no where near powerful enough to really give us 3D stereoscopic vision at 90+ frames per second.. when a PSVR ‘1’ unit was paired with a PC (eg using IVRY steam driver software), brute forcing super high resolution using supersampling techniques etc made for some ‘very impressive 3D/VR visuals’).

That aside, simply using a screen that appears to be so large, made the original PSVR a ‘very impressive screen to play competitive games on’, being 120hz refresh rate (quick) and appearing to be like a huge 120” plus screen size (diagonal) made “head shots” very easy to execute.
The new unit, the PSVR 2, has moved to OLED screens (has the ‘infinite black’ contrast “trick”), and still offers 120hz refresh rates, but this time ups the Field of View to 110degrees (much much better than the original PSVR)..
The big benefit that everyone will tout is the enhanced resolution, which basically makes this headwear have infinite resolution.. but can still reveal ‘jaggies’ but requires reducing the screen to a small percent of its ‘full range’ eg 30% size, and then when playing games- looking at fonts will reveal a ‘lower screen resolution’… if the user leaves the screen at 100% size internally, the ‘2D/flat’ (pancake) gaming screen is so large that it can be pretty overwhelming (and would more so suit games with relocatable HUDs that are not forced into the corners (or else your eyes will ‘work hard’ moving around the screen to see ‘basic information’), but the benefit of leaving the screen ‘unscaled’ is that the full resolution of the headset can be enjoyed (text has less jaggies or ‘rainbow edges’ due to having more pixels to play with when rendering frames to the screen(s)).

Very impressive hardware, not aware if any drivers exist to use it as a monitor or screen on ‘other hardware’ (PS5 exclusive hardware)…
Little bit heavy, but a better design in terms of weight distribution.. I found the unit ‘front heavy’ if I leave the screen out from my nose far enough to let my eye lashes flow freely.. at which point, some large over ear headphones do an EXCELLENT JOB of gripping my head around the sides and ‘stablising’ the VR headset in place.

Headphones that have performed this task perfectly linclude
Sony MDR-Z7
AKG K612
and my favorite so far, the Audeze Mobius (/penrose?)

whilst the new headset has a headphone jack built in, using a FiiO BTA30 makes for letting ANY wireless headphones work, and doubles as a DAC stream converter to take the Playstation USB output and make it ready /friendly to play with ‘all DACs’ (with SPDIF)..

Tempest Audio is truly a game changer when it comes to recreating audio in a 3D space (not just for headphones), but the marriage of VR and properly wavetraced and occluded sound sources (and a lot of ‘channels’ for digital point sources) makes for an incredible audio experience not really experienced since Aureal A3D sound was stolen from the audio market more than twenty years ago.
(Killzone Mercenary on PSVita used the tech, as did a few Vita titles, and then, PSVR 1 had an improved version of the sound tech, now evolved to “Tempest Audio”, which is dramatically upscaled in terms of capabilities)
This isn’t a competitor to Dolby Atmos or DTS X (but could easily use one of those output renderers to pass the 3D soundscape to A/V equipment if Sony implemented this- I simply use 7.1 channel PCM output and use the multichannel upmixers to handle from there, but licensing DTS X wouldn’t cost Sony a dime vs what it would allow them to do quell in terms of ‘but Xbox has Dolby audio’ nonsense..
Tempest Audio is a huge evolution is gaming audio in a way that DTS and Dolby simply are not..
And Tempest Audio Engine creates the best and most impressive in game audio of all the sound technologies available on the market.
Games like Hunt: Showdown which feature their own renderers can ‘do alright’, but in terms of industry adoption, Tempest tech is baked into the mainstream tools/engines as used in the market nowadays (a luxury A3D audio did not have more than twenty years ago).

As someone with a capable PC, the Playstation is untouchable in terms of delivering an entertainment experience.
I can technically use the PC to bruteforce games at higher refreshrates and resolutions than the console (with raytracing at 16x the math), but in terms of the controller haptics and resistive triggers (and point source for audio to ‘ground’ surround into your hands when called for), the experience on the console is just a calibre of delivery above ‘other platforms’, if only for realisation of delivering an enjoyable end user experience.

Simply speaking, an easy example is the experience of games like Hogwarts Legacy or Elden Ring.. the gaming console is just superior.. and the Playstation has the lionshare of games developers working on software, something that the PSVR2 will raise the bar on.. (super easy for indy developers to ‘evolve’ their “new Playstation4” titles to work in VR on the Playstation 5 (which has enough 3D grunt to render PS4 titles at around 90 frames per second to ‘two screens’))
Playstation 5 is the cheapest adoptable platform for quality VR (that ‘high price’ for the hardware includes Operating Systems, controllers, bluetooth dongles for wirelessly connecting the controllers etc.. most ‘comparable PC builds’ do not factor these price points (or requisite security software and maintenance costs)).
The graphics card in my PC, by price point, could have bought 2x PS5 consoles and 2x PSVR 2 headsets; which would give me two full sets of controllers, 2x HDR capable “4K” screens, and ‘lot more bang for my buck’ than playing games at higher refresh rates and resolution allows.
Given the substandard quality experience that is PC gaming (an oxymoronic proposition at best, as spoken by a PC tech of greater than three decades supporting Mickey$oft products), a Playstation console is just brilliant; back ON TOPIC: could the PSVR 2 be used as a 2D gaming screen?
Yes- but fatigue will set in in ways that sitting in front of a quality screen does not cause fatigue.

The screen itself is ‘very high quality’- I’d say it is ‘near equal’ to the three reference panels (all recently colour calibrated) I can compare to.. skin tones are varied and mostly (very) natural, contrast is good, and colour is outstanding.. most consumers have NEVER USED a screen of this quality level.. (it isn’t a reference broadcast monitor, fair given the 1/20th cost price point of the part)
So, for 2D (pancake) gaming, this screen could be what many gamers seek, but it isn’t quite ready to replace having a quality screen yet..
For VR it is the best hardware platform on the planet, bar none, and nothing is positioned to compete (Quest 2 is its’ own market and will no doubt feed a lot of software ‘forward’)..
The few titles presently making use of Tempest Engine audio, and the full features of this hardware is outstanding.

Pulling a flashlight ‘out’ of your ‘inner jacket pocket’ (in resident evil village, for example) is just so very immersive (as is dropping said light source in game.. ).. shooting down the gun sights in ‘gun games’ in a very natural experience.. (as is ‘firing from the hip’ (with a little practice), but also ‘firing AROUND corners’!)

Anyhow, a thread to discuss PSVR 2 hardware (And software perhaps?)

Positive space, no need to try to convince people that console owners are peasants who cannot afford ‘proper hardware’ (nonsense - some users just want to unwind at the end of a day/week and do not want ‘more hassle/work/effort’ to have to invest in a PC just to “game”) - I gather that the disposable wealth of many headfiers who hang here puts them in the PC space (elitist) group..
As a PC tech of many decades, console gaming is just a superior experience if we factor gameplay and ‘fun factor’ as the metrics to heavily weigh when considering the truth of the statement ‘best gaming platform’..

PSVR 2 got it right.. the software is typical Sony jank, presently, in that a user cannot go from ‘free zone’ (standing) use to ‘sit down’ use in another zone of the house without the equipment trying to get all ‘in our face’ (pun intended) about it.. but to persevere with a setup (takes ten minutes including training the eye tracking) makes for a very solid experience, unmatched by any platform.

Mar 1, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 4
Not the best ‘use of tech’ but here is some footage- (this be me trying out a Twin gun shooter)

I have only tried a few games on the psvr2, not including Horizon, and ‘limited’ GT time..
The Kayaking game is brilliant, but ‘night tours’ has a few people notice the fresnel lenses limitations on top end VR ‘on a budget’.
Pistol Whip is so addictive, by day two my thighs hurt from ‘so much ducking’; great piece of software, sweaty workout guaranteed (like ‘Ring Fit Adventure’, must own for apartment dwellers with no ‘gym membership’ :wink:

Mar 2, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 4
good post, we should get a list together of headphones that work with the PSVR2. I can confirm the MDR-Z1R is NOT the best fit with the headset because of its big size. I'm hoping I have better luck with a smaller headphone like a grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back