Non-portable MP3 player
May 10, 2004 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nkd

100+ Head-Fier
I've searched all around the internet and not been able to find anything like this. Does anyone know if there is actually any such thing as an mp3 player thats designed to be part of a seperates system rather than pocket sized? I'm looking for something i can use instead of my PC to play FLAC files that has a remote!

May 10, 2004 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkd
I was thinking more of something with a hard-drive... like a big-assed ipod!

It's actually not that hard to turn a computer into a player. Have you seen those expensive programmable wireless remotes? Yeah, you could configure one to your liking and make it work just like an ipod.

May 10, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 11
Perhaps one of these might do the trick...

g21main.jpg

May 11, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 11
just about any of the new "el-cheapo' DVD players ,which are actually multi-format playback devices

DVD
Redbook CD
KODAK Photo CD
MP3

pretty cool and for the price a steal

May 11, 2004 at 10:49 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkd
I've searched all around the internet and not been able to find anything like this. Does anyone know if there is actually any such thing as an mp3 player thats designed to be part of a seperates system rather than pocket sized? I'm looking for something i can use instead of my PC to play FLAC files that has a remote!

I think Yamaha and maybe Meridian and possibly even Sony make one, and there are a couple of others. I can't think of them at the moment but I do come across them occasionally. I'm sure someone will enlighten us.

May 11, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkd

Actually, they shouldn't be hard too find on the net at all. The problem is finding a dedicated unit for a reasonable price. Most of high quality are pretty darn expensive because they are such a niche product and the cheaper ones lack key features. Also, you run into the problem of either having to run the interface through a TV or settle for a screen on the unit which would have obvious drawbacks if it's in your component rack, you're sitting on your couch, and you want to browse your MP3 collection. And probably the biggest reason for their lack of popularity is cheaper alternatives. You can easily rig a computer, x-box, or tivo to do the same things for a lot less money.

Some examples can be found in this old PC Mag article. I think the Escient Fireball is considered the top of the class but it's around $2000.
eek.gif

May 12, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #9 of 11
Check out SqueezeBox. It streams music from your computer, so its not quite a giant iPod.However, it does have one of the better looking screens I have seen for such a thing.

May 26, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #10 of 11
The audio quality judge is out for the moment (so far I'd say it's OK), but I'd highly recommend systems like the Squeezebox if you have a PC you can dedicate towards media serving. The main reason, especially relevant for headphone use is the lack of noise while in use. Because you can locate the server PC in another room, you don't have fan or hard disk noises to get in the way. That and all you have to do to upgrade capacity is put a bigger disc in the server.

If you want to stream WAVs or any of the supported lossless codecs like FLAC (since the lossless decodes are done at the server end, and WAVs streamed to the Squeezebox) I'd recommend the cabled version.

May 28, 2004 at 1:31 PM Post #11 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back