Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Apr 29, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #36,046 of 36,052
Hey, was wondering if you guys could help me choose between the Kublai Khan and Ronin? The only how Noble IEM I’ve had was K10 which I loved but haven’t heard in a while. My favourite IEM is UM Mest MK2 and potentially looking for a kind of upgrade to that. Think I like U or W shaped signatures.

I listen to 30% indie folk acoustic (lots of string instruments and vocals), 20% metal (particularly symphonic, gothic, and folk), 20% orchestral soundtracks and score, 10% alternative rock, 10% pop, and 10% electronic.

I care about a lot of texture, clarity, and detail – particularly in the mids. Don’t like too thick a sound. I like fast impactful deep bass. Separation and layering are extremely important to me. I love the holographic feel of the MEST. I don’t like large airy soundstages where things feel far away, I want to feel like I’m on stage performing intimately with the musicians but still feels 3D. I really care about PRAT and dynamics. I really want to feel engaged and involved with the music, feeling the emotions and energy. I’m looking for something that performs well across all genres.

And would you think either of these is a significant upgrade over MEST MK2 to warrant price? I know MEST is great for value. I lean KK because I’ve heard it’s like an upgrade to MEST but then I keep hearing how good Ronin mids are.

I can give a few songs I use in listening sessions and what I look for in them. I mostly use Shangling M6 Pro 21 as a source if anyone recommends good pair up synergy too.
I like Ronin better myself, but from your description I think KK would be the way to go to be honest.

drftr

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #36,047 of 36,052
Hey, was wondering if you guys could help me choose between the Kublai Khan and Ronin? The only how Noble IEM I’ve had was K10 which I loved but haven’t heard in a while. My favourite IEM is UM Mest MK2 and potentially looking for a kind of upgrade to that. Think I like U or W shaped signatures.

I listen to 30% indie folk acoustic (lots of string instruments and vocals), 20% metal (particularly symphonic, gothic, and folk), 20% orchestral soundtracks and score, 10% alternative rock, 10% pop, and 10% electronic.

I care about a lot of texture, clarity, and detail – particularly in the mids. Don’t like too thick a sound. I like fast impactful deep bass. Separation and layering are extremely important to me. I love the holographic feel of the MEST. I don’t like large airy soundstages where things feel far away, I want to feel like I’m on stage performing intimately with the musicians but still feels 3D. I really care about PRAT and dynamics. I really want to feel engaged and involved with the music, feeling the emotions and energy. I’m looking for something that performs well across all genres.

And would you think either of these is a significant upgrade over MEST MK2 to warrant price? I know MEST is great for value. I lean KK because I’ve heard it’s like an upgrade to MEST but then I keep hearing how good Ronin mids are.

I can give a few songs I use in listening sessions and what I look for in them. I mostly use Shangling M6 Pro 21 as a source if anyone recommends good pair up synergy too.
I have KK, Ronin and Onyx. KK has a great stage (layering), sizzling bass, lush lower mid range but in my ear I do get some sharpness in the upper frequencies. Ronin is lush, technically superior than KK but bass is dialed back. Onyx is my all time fav IEM. Amazing stage, exception sub mid bass, slams and rumbles when needed so it’s quite emotive, mid range is lush and good treble presence, excellent technicalities and instrument separation is epic. For me, it’s has everything I’ve been looking for in an IEM. My KK is in classifieds, I’d sell my Ronin but it’s a prestige + so it’s become more like an heirloom.

Apr 29, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #36,048 of 36,052
I have KK, Ronin and Onyx. KK has a great stage (layering), sizzling bass, lush lower mid range but in my ear I do get some sharpness in the upper frequencies. Ronin is lush, technically superior than KK but bass is dialed back. Onyx is my all time fav IEM. Amazing stage, exception sub mid bass, slams and rumbles when needed so it’s quite emotive, mid range is lush and good treble presence, excellent technicalities and instrument separation is epic. For me, it’s has everything I’ve been looking for in an IEM. My KK is in classifieds, I’d sell my Ronin but it’s a prestige + so it’s become more like an heirloom.
Am I assuming correctly that you prefer Onyx on either SP3000 or 320 Max Ti?

drftr

Apr 29, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #36,049 of 36,052

drftr
SP3000, I sold the 320 Max TI, I did try the Onyx on Cayin N30 LE (classic tube) and felt the AK pairing was better regarding the expansive stage. I will try the N30 SS next.

Apr 29, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #36,051 of 36,052

Tnx... I thought it might become too creamy but am looking forward to your thoughts.

drftr
I played around with both Cayin and AK, here’s what I’m hearing. (I use these DAPs interchangeably)

CONTEXT;
- Downsize my normal tip size for deeper insertion
- JVC Spiral Dot ++ (M)
- stock cable
- track = CHPTRS/ Marie Hines: You Change Everything (slowed) streamed on Tidal.

SP3K
- Infinite soundscape, pitch black out of head imaging, amazing pairing
- Texture/texture/texture
- Fantastic separation especially in sub bass where things can get congested with atmospheric music
- Transition to mid range very clear, even with powerful bass
- movement of notes across the soundstage is out of this world and out of your head
- 2:48 mark, sub bass really hits hard with texture
- beginning at 3:05 the interplay between sub, bass, stage and imaging is immersive (hard slams but the notes then just travel off and fade into this infinite space)

Cayin Classic Tube
- smaller soundstage
- lose some texture, instruments become a bit more congested
- sub bass creamy, without the texture

Cayin Solid State:
- Soundstage expands but not quite as holographic as SP3K
- Separation of instruments a tad behind SP3K
- Very clear mid range,
- Cleaner sub
- More muscle to sub and bass

So for this track with Onyx I prefer the SP3K. However, I repeated this with my RN6 CIEM (red atom), and the Cayin SS came out on top for me.

What cable are you using for the Onyx, trying to asses if there is a better pairing out there.
Thanks, Todd

Apr 30, 2024 at 2:06 AM Post #36,052 of 36,052
What cable are you using for the Onyx, trying to asses if there is a better pairing out there.
Thanks, Todd
I'm not! I'm using Sultan now and would prefer slightly less bass with better control, more palpable mids, slightly less lower treble, and better technicalities. During my 2 demos Onyx delivered on #2 and #4 (and then some) but not on the other 2 so I didn't have the guts to pull the trigger. I'm trying to learn what works for others and why, hoping that I can recreate a similar setup for a future demo. Tnx!

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back