Need Suggestions for Studio (or Karaoke) Microphones
Jan 3, 2014 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

thinh4u2

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, my dad is an avid fan of good quality karaoke and wants to buy a good microphone. Can I have some suggestions please?

Also, he wants to buy a compressor and mixer to add to his karaoke shenanigans....if someone has a very good guide or head-fi like source, I would appreciate it.  I just listen to music...don't know anything about the making of :p

But he's spent over 2-3k on his karaoke set...which is a waste because he plays Vietnamese music (often poor studio quality)...but dude wants what he wants, who am i to say otherwise lol

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 13
Oh forgot to mention, just quickly glancing around...i see AT2020 and Shure M58 for about $100, and Rode m3 for $150....anyone care to shed any thoughts?

And how about something like the Blue Yeti? Though I think this is more for recording on PCs right

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 13
I think this is my territory lol. I was a recording engineer for 4 plus decades. it all depends if his rig has 48 volt phantom power. I suspect it should. if it does not the mic options are very limited.large condenser mics require a shockmount,stand and isolation. they must stay put when in use. if he wants to move around and or hold the mic then it is passive. honestly with the crummy source,question of power and moving I would suggest a shure sm58 for this task. for the compressor you really only need a dbx 266xs. that is plenty good without being too bad. if he wants to get into condenser mics and good compression he could spend $1,500 to, well a whole lot.

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 13
This has "latest youtube sensation" written all over it...
biggrin.gif

Lol, he's too old to be the next bieber. Maybe a bieber-Psy fusion? 
deadhorse.gif

I think this is my territory lol. I was a recording engineer for 4 plus decades. it all depends if his rig has 48 volt phantom power. I suspect it should. if it does not the mic options are very limited.large condenser mics require a shockmount,stand and isolation. they must stay put when in use. if he wants to move around and or hold the mic then it is passive. honestly with the crummy source,question of power and moving I would suggest a shure sm58 for this task. for the compressor you really only need a dbx 266xs. that is plenty good without being too bad. if he wants to get into condenser mics and good compression he could spend $1,500 to, well a whole lot.

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful!

I just realized I had bought him a Shure PG58 a few years ago - is the difference pretty noticeable? (Since the PG58 is about half the price)

Also, may I ask for suggestions on a decent mixer?  My dad was thinking about buying a cheap $50ish compressor at a local audio shop, and I told him it's not going to do much for him in terms of karaoke (solos and duets mostly) and he's better off saving money.  Then he thinks he should buy a mixer instead...and I keep telling him it's almost pointless for just karaoke since it's really just 2 audio sources.  Basically, the man wants to drastically improve his setup but doesn't particularly know how...but is just taking jabs at it -_-

His current setup:

- Some 1080p Jukebox (music-source)
- Vocopro DA-8909RV
- Radioshack 15-band Equalizer
- Vocopro VHF-3000 mics
- Shure PG58
- Vocopro VX-12 speakers
- some tweeters, bluray player, etc.

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 13
I don't get a mixer for 2chan either. if he wants one get the smallest Mackie he can find. that is like $300 though. the sm58 is much better than the pg58 and not overkill for this situation. many clubs,bars use it. the $50 compressor is bad news. a compressor can actually help him. I think the best bang for the buck is the one I mentioned and just happens to be 2chan.

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 13
  I don't get a mixer for 2chan either. if he wants one get the smallest Mackie he can find. that is like $300 though. the sm58 is much better than the pg58 and not overkill for this situation. many clubs,bars use it. the $50 compressor is bad news. a compressor can actually help him. I think the best bang for the buck is the one I mentioned and just happens to be 2chan.

Oh okay, I will tell him to grab a SM58 and the 266xs. Hopefully they will provide him with the improvements he seeks (until his next itch for more upgrades LOL).  Thank you so much for your help :)

Let us know when he gets on Tosh 2.0...
tongue.gif

I'll have him dedicate a shoutout to you guys LOL

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #9 of 13

So we went and purchased the SM58 and 266XS. The SM58 does sound clearer and less reverberation than the PG58, so thanks for the suggestion.  However, we're trying to figure out what is the best way to hook up the compressor...can I ask for your help again? The manual it came with has absolutely no help lol

His current setup:

- Vocopro DA-8909RV
- Vocopro VHF-3000 mics
- Shure PG58
- Vocopro VX-12 speakers
- (and he stuck my Radioshack SSM-60 mixer into it from my TV room, even though I told him his receiver has a built in mixer so it's prob just making it worse lol -_- )

Jan 6, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 13
I don't know your machine. on a pro mixer the compressor is set in an effects loop. somehow you need to get it between both the music and vocal input and output. if there are recording accommodations on this thing there should some sort of 2 chan loop. or perhaps between a pre and amp if you have that. come to think of it high end karaoke should have a couple effects loops. then you will most likely need send/return cables if it works like a pro mixer. this is really complicated without being there so I don't know if I can offer more than this.

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #11 of 13
  I don't know your machine. on a pro mixer the compressor is set in an effects loop. somehow you need to get it between both the music and vocal input and output. if there are recording accommodations on this thing there should some sort of 2 chan loop. or perhaps between a pre and amp if you have that. come to think of it high end karaoke should have a couple effects loops. then you will most likely need send/return cables if it works like a pro mixer. this is really complicated without being there so I don't know if I can offer more than this.

That's exactly what I told him, that his setup is probably very different from everyone else's so he'll just have to tinker and figure it out himself. He has it all hooked up, just messing with the settings.

Again, thank you so much for all your help 
beerchug.gif

Jan 9, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #12 of 13
Have used SM57, SM58, and the SM58a beta for the past 6 years. Used the 57 mostly for instrument and amp micing. 58 and 58a beta should serve you well. Can never go wrong with them.

Nov 5, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #13 of 13
Lol, he's too old to be the next bieber. Maybe a bieber-Psy fusion?
deadhorse.gif

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful!

I just realized I had bought him a Shure PG58 a few years ago - is the difference pretty noticeable? (Since the PG58 is about half the price)

Also, may I ask for suggestions on a decent mixer? My dad was thinking about buying a cheap $50ish compressor at a local audio shop, and I told him it's not going to do much for him in terms of karaoke (solos and duets mostly) and he's better off saving money. Then he thinks he should buy a mixer instead...and I keep telling him it's almost pointless for just karaoke since it's really just 2 audio sources. Basically, the man wants to drastically improve his setup but doesn't particularly know how...but is just taking jabs at it -_-

His current setup:

- Vocopro DA-8909RV
- Vocopro VHF-3000 mics
- Shure PG58 best karaoke mixers
- Vocopro VX-12 speakers
Have any of you guys set up a karaoke system? Someone asked me about what would be the best way...

I sensed he didn't want to invest too much (it would only be for the ladies
:)
) and told him that the "audiophile way" may require a little work. So I advised him to use his DVD player, which has a microphone input, to work it out for now.

So guys, let's say you already have a DAC and a Blu-ray player for karaoke DVDs, along with network streaming for YouTube videos... Would you only need a professional mixing console? With microphone input, RCA inputs (and outputs)? Does the console send the two signals (microphone and BD player), with 1 pair of RCA cables, to one "line in" on the receiver/amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back