Motherboard manufacturer with best USB output?
Oct 22, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #31 of 37
That sounds like a ground loop. Were you using the PC into a preamp or amp?
I was thinking the same. But there seems to be some confusion about what exact kind of noise is being discussed. Ground loop issues are typically *not* subtle and are very obvious. It's not just a faint background hiss that may or may not be audible, as some in this thread seem to have implied.

Oct 23, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #33 of 37
Current = Asus Rog Maximus Z790 Hero / 13900k / MSI 4090 / TP-Link 10gbe Network Card
Topping D90SE -> Topping A90D -> 64 Audio U4S/U12T/Trio/Fourte Blanc (ALL dead silent, same with all my over ear)
Schiit BiFrost2 (with both OG and 2/64 card) -> iFi Pro Icann Signature -> Same IEMs, as well as above.

Previous = Asus Pro Art Creator X570 WiFi (10gbe built in) / AMD 5950x / MSI 4090 (as well as EVGA 3090 TI, Nvidia Founders Edition 3090 TI and Founders Edition 3090)
I had both DAC's and had 0 issue with internal ports

Shop PC = Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master / AMD 3950X / Nvidia 3090 Founders
Hifiman EF400 -> All quiet with IEMs
iFi Zen Dac 2 and also tested my iFi xDSD Gryphon -> All quiet with IEMs

Using my Lian Li o11 Dynamic XL cases ports that are plugged into my motherboards USB3 out, I have had one where I could hear a VERY slight humm. I figured it was just the crappy cable they use internally. Data transfer isn't effected so thats about the only thing those ports get used for.

I have almost every USB Port taken on the motherboard (I dont use wireless keyboard/mouse), but I keep my 2 DAC's on their own internal USB hubs so nothing shares. Although they are the "cheaper" compared to some, but I also have shielded 3ft USB A to B cables to both DAC's.

I do not have any of the USB power pass through changed (so it's whatever the default is), but on my laptop I do have passthrough power turned off on 1 port. I have never tested to see if it made a difference though when using either port.

Oct 26, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #35 of 37
Update: when I move my USB cable around while listening to music, I get more little popping noises depending on how I'm holding the USB cable. Does this mean the cable has a grounding issue, or could it still be a USB hub issue? I don't currently have an extra USB data cable on hand to test.

Oct 26, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #37 of 37
Replace the cable! They're cheap enough even for a decent quality cable.
My USB cable is from Forza AudioWorks which wasn't cheap as far as USB cables come (although some spend even far more on USB cables). I've emailed them to see what they think. Hopefully if it does seem to be a cable issue I can get it replaced as I've been very happy with my headphone cable and interconnects from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back