Mayflower ARC Mk 2, SoundblasterX G6, or Schit HEL 2
Jul 10, 2023 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Ryan84

100+ Head-Fier
I own three G6's, which i use via USB for Nintendo Switch, PS5, and my LG C1 OLED's Optical connection for Streaming.

Reason why i purchased 3 is because i wanted them routed with cable concealers against the bottom of the walls, and to my end table that's next to my Sofa and hooked individually into each console, for ease of use. Instead of buying a USB splitter and having a cabled' mess in my TV stand. I'm opting for convenience, so. But I've gotta say, I hate the G6's finicky volume knob, the fact that it has NO volume arrow(You're going in blind adjusting the volume), and you can't turn off the glowing white light emitting from the volume dial OR the glowing red X logo.

Question is, would the MK2 & HEL 2 provide me with better sound quality, or should i just stick with the G6 and call it a day? I'm also using a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT770(250ohm)'s and plan on getting the DT1990's in the next few months, which should be a substantial upgrade.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #2 of 4
I've had all those. On the G6 in settings you can disable the led or change color. If your using the G6 in direct mode and keeping the volume under 85 percent or -2db where the Sinad scores around 112 you'll probably not hear the difference.
I really liked the Hel2 since it's simple to use, lots of power, and excellent volume wheel. You can sell the G6 really easily on eBay to switch.

Jul 11, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 4
I've had all those. On the G6 in settings you can disable the led or change color. If your using the G6 in direct mode and keeping the volume under 85 percent or -2db where the Sinad scores around 112 you'll probably not hear the difference.
I really liked the Hel2 since it's simple to use, lots of power, and excellent volume wheel. You can sell the G6 really easily on eBay to switch.
I never use Direct mode, since i prefer using EQ(SBX) and increasing the Bass by 3-4 points(to 3.1) with an ever so slight treble boost when using my DT770's. I may check out the HEL2E, although I've read a few people complaining about USB failure, so there's that lack of reliablity that might rear it's ugly head. Not entirely sure if Schiit has updated or corrected the issue with current models, but that's the sole reason why i went with the G6 a year or so ago.

The reason why i find HEL2E so appealing though, is because there's no tacky glowing lights(which can't seem to be disabled with G6 for video game consoles like Nintendo Switch & PS5, only for PC use), plus HEL2E has a Volume dial that actually works properly AND an arrow key. Plus aesthetically, it just looks a lot better. I'll definitely be ordering one in the next couple of weeks!

Do you notice any difference strictly in terms of audio quality between the HEL2 and G6?

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 4
I own three G6's, which i use via USB for Nintendo Switch, PS5, and my LG C1 OLED's Optical connection for Streaming.

Reason why i purchased 3 is because i wanted them routed with cable concealers against the bottom of the walls, and to my end table that's next to my Sofa and hooked individually into each console, for ease of use. Instead of buying a USB splitter and having a cabled' mess in my TV stand. I'm opting for convenience, so. But I've gotta say, I hate the G6's finicky volume knob, the fact that it has NO volume arrow(You're going in blind adjusting the volume), and you can't turn off the glowing white light emitting from the volume dial OR the glowing red X logo.

Question is, would the MK2 & HEL 2 provide me with better sound quality, or should i just stick with the G6 and call it a day? I'm also using a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT770(250ohm)'s and plan on getting the DT1990's in the next few months, which should be a substantial upgrade.

Hi Ryan
Do you still have the G6, I'm just wandering if you have found a better amp/dac. I have owned the G6 for years & still really like it. I've tried the schhit mag 3 but didn't like it. It takes some beating for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back