Madama Butterfly
Dec 28, 2005 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mysticaldodo

1000+ Head-Fier
Please recommend me a good recording for the Madama Butterfly? It would be great of the recording quality is pristine too alongside the performance.

Thank You
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 9
Go for the recording featuring Scotto and Bergonzi, conducted by Barbirolli, considered by some to be the best recording of any opera, not just Butterfly.

Dec 28, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 9
Either Scotto/Bergonzi; Barbirolli on EMI or Tebaldi/Bergonzi; Serafin on Decca. Both recordings have plenty of garlic, something essential when it comes to Puccini.

Jeffery

Dec 28, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 9
There is also a recording with Maria Callas (Karajan conducts at La Scala, Milan) on EMI that is excellent. In fact, it is considered Maria Callas's "greatest achievement on records" according to Gramophone magazine, although many say that her recorded Tosca is the greatest opera recording ever made. In any event, the Callas recordings are mono so will not compare for sq to the later von Karanjan Butterfly. Whatever recording you choose to get, just be prepared with lots of kleenex as you listen. This is the probably one of the most emotionally wrenching operas around.

May 27, 2006 at 1:35 PM Post #7 of 9
Just to report, I finally laid my hands on the Sir John Barbirolli version featuring Carlo Bergonzi and Renata Scotto. For something from 1967, it sounds darn good
basshead.gif
My dealer bought in a whole box of LPs from someone who didn't even listen to them.

Its the 3LP box set in mint condition (couldn't find the cd or reissue)

Paid USD 19 for it, inclusive of record washing on all 3 LPs.

According to the LP label, its the Great Britian pressing by Angel Series - His Masters Voice. I never compared it to other recordings but it sounds good
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 9
any more opinions ?

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #9 of 9
pavarotti-freni with karajan (decca) is my favorite but i also like the moffo-valetti with leinsdorf (rca) and the less well-known kincses-dvorsky with patane (hungaroton).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back