Looking for a USB DAC for MacBook Pro 14"
Nov 5, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #16 of 21
Nov 7, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #17 of 21
Did some more research and landed on the Chord Qutest (as was recommended to me earlier in the thread). Seems to be a really good DAC. I could probably go without balanced outputs as I am with my current setup.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #20 of 21
Any comments/opinions on the Schiit Bifrost 2/64? How would it compare to the Qutest? It's pretty much half the price of the Qutest.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #21 of 21
Any comments/opinions on the Schiit Bifrost 2/64? How would it compare to the Qutest? It's pretty much half the price of the Qutest.
I've owned the Qutest and a Schiit multi-bit DAC. Different flavors. The Schiit units I've heard are more V shaped and the Chord I had was really lively and engaging while being more of a non-V response. I was using my Qutest in my TV setup for a while and it was fine for fast paced movie scenes and stuff. Some R2R dacs have a bit of latency to them. I found the Qutest I had really brang out the sparkle, magic and detail other DACs could not. If money is no object I would get the Chord or if you wanted to save some money get the Bifrost 2/64. Only drawback to the Qutest is that it only has single ended analog outputs and doesn't have balanced. Even then it's still a good unit I would recommend. Personally I sold the Qutest I had and the Schiit DAC and got a 3-in-1 streamer with a ESS DAC. The Chord DACs on ocassion can sound a bit "forward" in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back