Logic of a portable amp w/DAC?
Jul 17, 2008 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

the_eleven

Head-Fier
In selecting a portable amp, I have been wondering about the logic behind a portable amp w/DAC.

If one is to use a computer as a source, it will probably be used at a desk or table, near an electrical outlet, so a stand alone DAC would probably be a better choice, sound-wise.

Portable digital sources usually have their own DAC, and no digital out, so why buy a portable amp with a DAC?

Am I missing something?

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 11
The hard drive is a tremendous recource for quality sound if you save the music correctly. So 1. you have a nice storage capacity either with an internal HD or external, as I use. 2. The dac inside most of the portables is much better than the dac inside the computer so the sound is better. 3. If you are portable with your laptop you now have a great amp and dac for what ever you are listening to in a very small package. 4. The amp/dac can be used as just an amp in other applications so it becomes a multiple use quality musical component. 4. there are many other reasons.

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 11
I think some people listen to music with a laptop (at home, office or on travel), a desktop DAC is too big for a laptop and sometimes for office use. I used to use my ibasso D2 at office, but now I found I can put a entech DAC and original master amp in the office without being noticed by many.

Jul 17, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 11
I have a desk dac and I dont use it with my laptop and would make using a netbook like the eee kind of ironic. a small dac and amp would allow for one to take a tiny laptop outside the home (park, cafe, freinds house, etc etc) and use high quality headphones with thier laptops. for somebody who enjoys music as much as I do then there is no other option. I do not enjoy using my grados straight out of my lappy. it is just a sad comparison to my ms2is. but sometimes I have no choice. cant wait for my ultra portable laptop setup with dac and yuin ok1s!

Jul 18, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_eleven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In selecting a portable amp, I have been wondering about the logic behind a portable amp w/DAC.

If one is to use a computer as a source, it will probably be used at a desk or table, near an electrical outlet...

Am I missing something?

Yep, laptops.

Jul 20, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 11
there's a certain beauty in not being connected to the ac mains regardless.
i connect my ipod to my macbook and select it as a library in itunes.
play the music out the optical jack into the portable d/amp, then to whatever
driver.

unless i have connected the d/amp to my home stereo there is no A/C connection here. the demons portal has been closed
wink.gif

and if your talking balanced then of course a single mains supply creates
another problem altogether i guess.....

Jul 20, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pirate6955 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there's a certain beauty in not being connected to the ac mains regardless.
i connect my ipod to my macbook and select it as a library in itunes.
play the music out the optical jack into the portable d/amp, then to whatever
driver.....

Fully agree with this reasoning.

Is it the case that when using the USB connection between the iPod and the Macbook. the output is fully digital, i.e. it bypasses the DAC in the iPod?

Am I mistaken in thinking that when I am using a line-out dock & a portable amp, the signal is still coming through the internal DAC in the iPod?

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 11
The idea of a portable amp/USB DAC is for those who use laptops.

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Is it the case that when using the USB connection between the iPod and the Macbook. the output is fully digital, i.e. it bypasses the DAC in the iPod?

Am I mistaken in thinking that when I am using a line-out dock & a portable amp, the signal is still coming through the internal DAC in the iPod?

I think you have right.
If you connect your ipod on your portable (usb) and use itune as librairy, when you choose files in the ipod list and listen it through computer and dac (or amp dac), you obtain a clean digital sound and bypass internal ipod dac.

So, my eeepc is:
- The best Itransport
- Remote Itune when it's work on wifi and link with Airport to difuse music at home.

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

yes when connecting the pod via usb and using it as a library for itunes on the laptop the pod is essentially an external hard drive. i do this because i have no music on my internal drive. the file type becomes irrelevant.

and yes the line out is an analog signal. unaffected by the volume control.
like a tape out jack on a receiver. set at a predetermined level. however unlike the tape out jack your tone controls on the pod will affect the line out.
the digital to analog was done inside the pod. and the file types are limited to the types supported by the pod dac.

Jul 21, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #11 of 11
The future of portable dac/amps looks bright. There are going to be a lot of low price 1 Kg mini laptops hitting the market before the end of the year based on Intel's Atom CPU and asscociated chip set. I think I read the mother board and processor costs less $100. My guess is that the on board SQ isn't going to be anything to write home about and these mini PCs are small enough where a lot of people might use them as media players when sitting on noisy public transportation and for air travel. The price of gas is going to put a lot more people on public transportation and luggage restrictions at the airport are going to make people want to trade in the 2-3 kg laptops on smaller ones. I know that there already are a lot of smart phones and ipods out there but they aren't as good as a pc with a 10 inch led back lit screen especially if you can get it for $400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back