LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING
Apr 23, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #1,036 of 1,046
Ahh gotcha, makes sense. Yea, have the selector on the appropriate setting by tube. I also understood the rectifier to make such considerable difference, but the Tak 274b only improves things a bit. Would love to find a 5u4g anniversary tube but really unlikely. Will keep searching though.
Which rectifiers does the Pacific use?

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #1,037 of 1,046
Which rectifiers does the Pacific use?

274B, 5c3s, 5Y3, 5r4, 5U4G, GZ34, 5c4s, 5u4c.

And I'm sure there are possibly more with tube adapters. I didn't do a ton of back and forth comparing, but the Tak 274b only improved bass marginally.

Apr 24, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #1,038 of 1,046
I'm sure there are possibly more with tube adapters.
People seem to plug anything that works with an adapter in, it's not like it needs a ton of voltage or current for that matter, so pretty much any dual diode can probably be made to work, if you can run it's heater off 5V.
FWIW the 596 was pretty good for the price point, Woo sells them with adapters, though you can source them for less, again on the aggressive side.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #1,039 of 1,046
Depending on your budget, I've found Telefunken and Valvo NOS 2004 and 2504 (solid plate version, not mesh), are very dynamic and have great bass performance. Of course, they will require adapters. xulingmrs on ebay sells them, and if you end up liking them, TP makes the ultimate adapter. Really, the only way to know is to gather intel here and even better, WBF, try to narrow your choices, roll the dice and try for yourself.

Confession... I am an addicted tube roller, like full on needing rehab. BUT, I've finally settled on my tube choices for my Pac2 and GG3. So, no more rolling for me.... I think.

Be forewarned, you can spend a lot of money on this aspect! But then, your kids can find your tube stash and throw them away as old, funny looking light bulbs when you pass on to Valhalla.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #1,040 of 1,046
I have RK242s & RK 5u4g rectifier in My bal Pacific It fits my system well ,I have a bunch of other tubes in my stash.to try
but the once I put the Rks in I never looked back

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #1,041 of 1,046
RK242 + RK5U4G is a great combo, particularly if you don't want to mess with adapters. For output tubes that don't require adapters, RK242 is, for sure, my favorite.

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #1,042 of 1,046
Depending on your budget, I've found Telefunken and Valvo NOS 2004 and 2504 (solid plate version, not mesh), are very dynamic and have great bass performance. Of course, they will require adapters. xulingmrs on ebay sells them, and if you end up liking them, TP makes the ultimate adapter. Really, the only way to know is to gather intel here and even better, WBF, try to narrow your choices, roll the dice and try for yourself.

Yup agree, that's what I'm doing now. Thank you all for all the advice and WBF has a ton of different opinions lol. The other thing really is trying to source these tubes can be really challenging, which is why I get why people resort to a larger array of tubes and adapters. I saw some (rare) instances of having issues with some adapters/non-standard tubes, and that + the sheer overwhelming amount of options is why I'd prefer to start with tubes that are standard and don't require adapters, but I'll keep all of this in mind and that probably will change.

Confession... I am an addicted tube roller, like full on needing rehab. BUT, I've finally settled on my tube choices for my Pac2 and GG3. So, no more rolling for me.... I think.

Be forewarned, you can spend a lot of money on this aspect! But then, your kids can find your tube stash and throw them away as old, funny looking light bulbs when you pass on to Valhalla.

LOL! I'm like the total opposite and also want to avoid spending a fortune, so hopefully I can quickly find my set of tubes to set and forget it.

I have RK242s & RK 5u4g rectifier in My bal Pacific It fits my system well ,I have a bunch of other tubes in my stash.to try
but the once I put the Rks in I never looked back

RK242 + RK5U4G is a great combo, particularly if you don't want to mess with adapters. For output tubes that don't require adapters, RK242 is, for sure, my favorite.

It seems like the RK 242s and 5u4gs are easily most preferred across the masses. But these are anniversary special edition KR tubes, correct? I've not seem them available anywhere.. even used and used sales are very infrequent from what it looks like. Oh well, will just continue to keep an eye out. :)

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #1,043 of 1,046
EDIT: yes, RK were limited production for only a couple years. I doubt they'll ever be produced again. RK have the larger, squarish bottle, KR regular, the small roundish bottle.

242 comes in RK and regular KR versions. Both are good, with some advocating one or the other. I own both and if I had to pick one, I'd choose the RK.

Also, there is a new player in town, Stradi tubes, and they make a 242. Someone said Lukasz tried some Stradi tubes and really likes them. I'd of course check specs and confirm with Lampi, but that is another *potential* option for new production 242.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #1,045 of 1,046
EDIT: yes, RK were limited production for only a couple years. I doubt they'll ever be produced again. RK have the larger, squarish bottle, KR regular, the small roundish bottle.

242 comes in RK and regular KR versions. Both are good, with some advocating one or the other. I own both and if I had to pick one, I'd choose the RK.

That was my understanding. I'll likely never find a pair but I'll be on the lookout lol, same for the EML Mesh 45 anniversary globes.

Also, there is a new player in town, Stradi tubes, and they make a 242. Someone said Lukasz tried some Stradi tubes and really likes them. I'd of course check specs and confirm with Lampi, but that is another *potential* option for new production 242.

Thank you for sharing, good to know. It has seemed thus far that KR tubes are really the only readily available options.

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #1,046 of 1,046
I have a RK 5u4g anniversary I’m not particularly attached to if someone’s interested. It has low hours because I’ve been using other tubes. Let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back