Kinda Tricky Question
Jul 18, 2001 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

me102

New Head-Fier
well, in my attemps to find some good headphones, ive come through a few problems (mainly they supposedly dont make them)

(entire thread is here : http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/002135.html )

The main thing i was wondering is if it is possible to setup the computer/sound in a similar way to discmans (ie cable from the discman to headphones' cable, headphones cable -> headphone.

That way i could include a digital volume control on the cord itself (but as most people know, discman cables wont fit in computers
frown.gif
)

Jul 18, 2001 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 3
Not digitally, I don't think...

But... Ratshack and the like do volume controls... I think thats what you mean? but, these are very much analogue, with carbon tracks that can wear out quite quickly... saying that, they are only like $5, so... not a BIG problem
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT

Hmm... after reading your chat with gluegun... try...

http://www.sennheiser.com/mediacoustics/hsmain.html

M@B40 seems like it could be what you're after... and... then scrap the analogue volume control, and use the windows volume control?!

lol... Seems like you can't have the best of both worlds

Jul 18, 2001 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 3
a digital sound control would best be utilised before the DAC, imho. converting an analog signal into digital, then changing the volume, only to turn it back into an analog signal is a bit silly. if you're using a computer, then you'd probably need to use software to control the volume digitally. if you want an external volume control, then i'd go with gluegun's suggestion to buy an external headphone amplifier with a volume control. with an external headphone amplifier you can get a nice set of headphones without having to worry about whether or not the sound card can power the headphones. and for voice, any mic should do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back