ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Dec 8, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #4,757 of 5,088
Hello.
Please tell me, does the ISN EST50 have the same deep fit as the Penon fan 2? I was forced to sell fan 2 because the fit was too deep. (My ears are a little smaller than standard size)
EST50 do not have the same nozzle shape or the deep fit requirement of the Fan2. Its nozzle is more average in length vs long or too short. No worries there.

If your looking for a smaller more comfortable IEM in the Penon line I would look into the Vortex. That one is the smallest physical sized IEM Penon makes.
1702064594004.png

Borrowing @-rowan- s photo here. Vortex is the smallest IEM Penon makes. Very comfy. Sounds great too.

Dec 10, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #4,758 of 5,088
EST50 do not have the same nozzle shape or the deep fit requirement of the Fan2. Its nozzle is more average in length vs long or too short. No worries there.

If your looking for a smaller more comfortable IEM in the Penon line I would look into the Vortex. That one is the smallest physical sized IEM Penon makes. 1702064594004.png

Borrowing @-rowan- s photo here. Vortex is the smallest IEM Penon makes. Very comfy. Sounds great too.

Thanks @Dsnuts for the credit. As it happens, I’ve been spending a lot of quality time with the Vortex after not listening to it for some months (you know, newer shinier toys).

IMG_0228.jpeg

I’ve been travelling with the Vortex as part of my ultra compact portable rig and it nails instrumental and vocal timbre and textures so beautifully. It’s not the biggest most technical monster in the room. But it effortlessly conveys the weight and tactility of fingers plucking a bass, brushing across a drum head, the positioning and interplay between musicians on a stage. To me it epitomises everything I love about single driver setups and that’s why the Vortex will never leave my collection.

To OP @Dissociative : if you’re still looking at the EST50, it is a relatively easy fit compared to Fan 2 imo. I don’t have mine on hand with me atm but here is a closer look at its nozzle if it helps (the other one is the Penon 10th).

IMG_1052.jpeg

Dec 14, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #4,759 of 5,088
Thank you Redcarmoose.

Thank you Dsnuts.
I've been spending a week with the Penon Vocal and H40 powered by Shanling M6. Gosh, it's phenomenal combination.
Mid is leveled up to just the right point to keep it at a delicate balance with bass and treble. Previously the mid sound like it's compressed which is now expanded with a big increase in details without losing the lush.
Bass is tightened up, more defined and less boomy while maintain the dark and deep.
Treble to my ear is untouch which is good to my sibilant sensitivity.
Honestly, every time I try to post a reply with the combo in my ear would lead to hours of listening without focus on anything else lol.
Thank you @Dsnuts and @Redcarmoose for your sharings a lot.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #4,760 of 5,088
Found an impedance adapter in my endless drawer of treasures (or junk, whatever) and decided to throw it on my Neo 5…

Holy sub bass. Is this real or am I crazy haha, because the mid bass already slammed but my goodness does the sub rumble now. Am I gonna mess up my IEM using this thing because maybe I don’t need a bass set anymore…

Dec 23, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #4,761 of 5,088
Hello everyone,

I need some advice on a pair of EST50's I bought about 8 months ago as a replacement for a set of H40's which I was very happy with, but I lost them. So I saw this as a great opportunity to upgrade. But ever since I got them I've been underwhelmed with the set. At first I thought this was just the sound signature, but recently I found my old set of H40's again in the pocket of a old winter coat :) and started to listened to them side by side and the bass is much better on the H40's.

There was another thing I noticed ever since I got the EST50's. When I move the shell there is a slight rattle coming from the inside. Almost like one of those balls inside a spray can that you have to shake before use, but smaller and at a much lower volume. I always assumed this was normal behavior since both shells have had this since the beginning and in both the shells the rattle seems fixed to the bottom of the shell (so in exactly the same position), but I recently started to wonder, could I perhaps have a faulty set?

So here's my question to anyone with a set of EST50's, do you have the same "rattle" in both your shells? It's very easy to replicate, you just have to lightly tap your finger on the back of the shell (where the gold K is located), then you'll hear it. Can anyone verify that this is normal behavior?

Thank you for your help. I appreciate any type of feedback.

Dec 23, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #4,762 of 5,088
Mine never had any type of rattle. A bit strange it is on both sides but sounds like they may be defective. I haven’t heard the H40 but the EST50 has elevated, bombastic bass, and shouldn’t be overshadowed by the H40 bass.

I would contact Penon and they should take care of you. The main bummer is having to send them back and wait.

Jan 3, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #4,765 of 5,088
New ISN for 2024! Woo Hoo!
97B1C10D-8667-49D5-94E8-9B5941713939.jpeg

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #4,767 of 5,088
6mm... "low" frequency...

Oh well. The setup/combo sounded interesting.

Comment context: 6mm can work in very small housings deeply inserted (Etymotic ER2XR, Final E4000) but they are microdrivers. I have yet to hear a hybrid set where the less a "low end" handling DD is than 10mm, the more obvious the lack of extension and physicality is. Double DDs can pack hard punches, but still not simulate the rumble.
So I am very skeptical that sub bass extension can come out of a 6mm driver in a hybrid configuration.

Nice shells though, I'll always like an amber leaning look like the Isabellae.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #4,768 of 5,088
6mm... "low" frequency...

Oh well. The setup/combo sounded interesting.

Comment context: 6mm can work in very small housings deeply inserted (Etymotic ER2XR, Final E4000) but they are microdrivers. I have yet to hear a hybrid set where the less a "low end" handling DD is than 10mm, the more obvious the lack of extension and physicality is. Double DDs can pack hard punches, but still not simulate the rumble.
So I am very skeptical that sub bass extension can come out of a 6mm driver in a hybrid configuration.

Nice shells though, I'll always like an amber leaning look like the Isabellae.
I'm sure it depends on quality of driver, my oh2 has 8mm dd which can take up to +5dbs eq on lower end without getting too muddy and losing control and gosh it slams hard. My other single dd sets cant do such thing

Jan 5, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #4,769 of 5,088
I'm sure it depends on quality of driver, my oh2 has 8mm dd which can take up to +5dbs eq on lower end without getting too muddy and losing control and gosh it slams hard. My other single dd sets cant do such thing
I wouldn't expect the quality of the driver in this set to be groundbreaking. At least appearance/shell wise it looks like it's from their budget end.

Either way, rigidity helps, but the physics of sheer area is basic and effective. Ideally you'd have area *and* quality materials in a good low end presentation.

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:09 AM Post #4,770 of 5,088
I wouldn't expect the quality of the driver in this set to be groundbreaking. At least appearance/shell wise it looks like it's from their budget end.

Either way, rigidity helps, but the physics of sheer area is basic and effective. Ideally you'd have area *and* quality materials in a good low end presentation.
agreed, i guess the price is around 130 bucks, doubtful the driver is of some ground breaking quality, but we'll see

Users who are viewing this thread

Back