Is it okay to wear the cable straight down with IEM's instead of behind the ears?
May 10, 2024 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

eternalarisen

New Head-Fier
I want to know if it is ok to do that, or instead, doing that isn't recommendable, your opinion matters a lot to me because I'm trying to decide buying new headphones, and I really want one that is an IEM but I find problems with the conventional way of wearing them as it is uncomfortable for me.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 6
I want to know if it is ok to do that, or instead, doing that isn't recommendable, your opinion matters a lot to me because I'm trying to decide buying new headphones, and I really want one that is an IEM but I find problems with the conventional way of wearing them as it is uncomfortable for me.

Some IEMs are designed to be only worn cable down eg the bullet shaped types.

While others are designed to be worn over ears like those tear dropped shaped shell types.

It would be hard to reverse their intended design for ergonomics as the fitting would be potentially affected, which affects seal (sound) and even comfort.

If you are not keen for over ear IEMs, do consider looking at cable down only IEMs in the bullet shaped style eg Final E series, JVC types etc

May 11, 2024 at 6:16 AM Post #3 of 6
You need the loop over your ears to accelerate the electrons at the last moment. It gives more speed to the sound and better damping.

Seriously, there are different cables giving different feelings, those with memory wire to keep the shape around the ear, are favored by some, while I could never stand them and would play wire surgeon to remove them from my cables that had it.
Some cables are twisted all the way into the IEM and I also hate that as it inevitably puts more pressure in local points over the ear.
In general, the point of the cable going over the ear is to lower what's wrongfully called microphonics. The noises you get into your ears from the cable moving and rubbing against your clothes. When you wear the IEM over the ear, that tends to be attenuated significantly, so it's generally preferred. But that's about it. If you're not too bothered by those noises(much worse on some cables than others), then wear the cable as you like.
For CIEM(customs) I would argue that with the rotating movement you use to insert them, the cable over the ear pulls to maintain the IEM in the ear and help keep a seal(corkscrew style), while the cable straight down might pull against that and lose the seal for some molds.

May 11, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #4 of 6
Some IEMs are designed to be only worn cable down eg the bullet shaped types.

While others are designed to be worn over ears like those tear dropped shaped shell types.

It would be hard to reverse their intended design for ergonomics as the fitting would be potentially affected, which affects seal (sound) and even comfort.

If you are not keen for over ear IEMs, do consider looking at cable down only IEMs in the bullet shaped style eg Final E series, JVC types etc
The (entry-level) Tanchjim One is an IEM that can be worn straight-down or over-the-ear: you just need to swap the L & R IEMs (and the cable!) to get a correct fit. I found them comfortable to wear in either configuration.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #5 of 6
Hi, I prefer cable down too. Someone posted on here that a particular over-ear model (UE900) could be worn cable down with left and right sides reversed, and I found it to be true: I can get as good a seal as over ear. Have since tried this with a second over-ear IEM, and it was viable. Can't promise it'll work for you too. Eartips are a factor, as ever.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #6 of 6
you can wear a man bun, do what you like

Users who are viewing this thread

Back