Introducing Shanling M5 Ultra - High-End MTouch Portable Player at $589
May 9, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #137 of 148
Ok Thats Interesting observation, I switched to Medium gain and indeed the Shanling ME600 I am listening too did pek up noticeably!.

On Low gain the playback sounds softer warmer and less dynamic. That's a sound difference I have never encountered before on any other DAP.

I wonder if has to do with the 6.6 ohm impedance the player outputs on Balances mode?

The ME600 has a lower Impedance of 16 ohms

I also just tried with the NiceHCK Himalaya 22 ohms

And the Elysian Acoustical Labs Pilgrim
9ohms all with the same result this is a vert interesting find there must be a reason why such a big change can't be headroom with the extra power although that would play a small part for sure.

Thoughts ? 💡

I experience similar changes when tested on my sony daps and previously owned daps as well. What I found is with m5u I use medium gain as with other daps is always high gain, so since m5u is the most powerful dap I owned it sound too loud in high gain. Medium gain is similar to my wm1zm2 which is set to high gain.

When I set low gain in sony it also sound too soft. I think low gain is wrong it just sound so underpowered and your not getting everything your dap can give you.

I have changed my dac filter to sharp roll off, if you really want to get maximum bass and soundstage out of m5u I highly recommend it. Sharp roll off is very clean detailed and fastttt. The bass just grunts into deepest it can ever get, rumbly, physical, punchy and so fast. You get a slightly more sharper treble but mannnn its so good. If you get tired you can always change back to stock filter.

I am very curious how me600 sounds in fast roll off and medium gain 🫠😍
I think I’ll give up and buy me600 lol it just seems to good. I also hugely love my ie600 vest ever iem I owned so incredible for the price range and what impressive nuances and sound details it can reproduce and everything is so natural and presented just like your dap do it. This iem doesn't colour your tuning it very neutral natural like its not even in the way 😄

May 9, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #138 of 148
Also found a nasty bug not sure if this has been addressed after the last update.
@Shanling

On main screen you hit the ❤️ and the unit plays a nasty POP and the player reboots.

Woaa mine doesn’t do that when I open favourites.

My m5u don’t want to go into usb dac mode when connected to my iPhone 😑

May 9, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #139 of 148
I experience similar changes when tested on my sony daps and previously owned daps as well. What I found is with m5u I use medium gain as with other daps is always high gain, so since m5u is the most powerful dap I owned it sound too loud in high gain. Medium gain is similar to my wm1zm2 which is set to high gain.

When I set low gain in sony it also sound too soft. I think low gain is wrong it just sound so underpowered and your not getting everything your dap can give you.

I have changed my dac filter to sharp roll off, if you really want to get maximum bass and soundstage out of m5u I highly recommend it. Sharp roll off is very clean detailed and fastttt. The bass just grunts into deepest it can ever get, rumbly, physical, punchy and so fast. You get a slightly more sharper treble but mannnn its so good. If you get tired you can always change back to stock filter.

I am very curious how me600 sounds in fast roll off and medium gain 🫠😍
I think I’ll give up and buy me600 lol it just seems to good. I also hugely love my ie600 vest ever iem I owned so incredible for the price range and what impressive nuances and sound details it can reproduce and everything is so natural and presented just like your dap do it. This iem doesn't colour your tuning it very neutral natural like its not even in the way 😄
On Medium Gain Fast roll off filter it's like a new IEM Bass is definitely faster and it comes alive really liking this combo. When I shot the ME600 video I said the two were not a good pairing and I now change that opinion.

May 9, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #140 of 148
About the gain thing this is what my pier from Canucks Audioholics said . Kevin Davies said

"I’ve had similar experience.
Not sure if to same degree you are hearing on M5U.
But I usually chalked it up to the IEM responding differently to the change.

However, if my understanding is correct:
Volume increases power at the post (headphone) amp stage.
Gain increases power at the preamp stage, ahead of the DAC section.
So very possible the DAC chip sound signature could change with extra power pulsing through the circuits."

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #141 of 148
About the gain thing this is what my pier from said . Kevin Davis said

"I’ve had similar experience.
Not sure if to same degree you are hearing on M5U.
But I usually chalked it up to the IEM responding differently to the change.

However, if my understanding is correct:
Volume increases power at the post (headphone) amp stage.
Gain increases power at the preamp stage, ahead of the DAC section.
So very possible the DAC chip sound signature could change with extra power pulsing through the circuits."

Definitely as the output impedance is high, this fluctuates to a more prominent impression of the change in sound. More impedance makes it more bassier meatier and louder. This is why m5u is so powerful and plus on top it has more amp power compare to my H5 which is also same ohm output.

I really love how shanling tuned this small dap and I can’t believe for the price its set its category is beyond mid dap section, this is flagship to my ears frankly. Maybe I simply love the tuning so much that I rank it so high. One thing for sure when I compare it to a sony that the price is 3600$ and m5u 580$ sound wise is so much more appealing and not far at all from what sony can do this is just madness to pay so much for expensive gear and have that little margin of a difference.

Oh that is great to hear on the me600 combo with m5u, must be so spectacular. From your video review I could tell you really love me600 🙂

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 3:53 AM Post #143 of 148
I have the UA5 dongle from Shanling and find it really pleasing, despite more on the neutral side for me...
Never had a DAP, but now I feel like I want one so let me ask you good souls.
Just how much of a gap is there between UA5 and M5 Ultra ?
I mean sound quality wise, because functionality is a different game entirely.

Ty

May 10, 2024 at 4:56 AM Post #145 of 148
I have the UA5 dongle from Shanling and find it really pleasing, despite more on the neutral side for me...
Never had a DAP, but now I feel like I want one so let me ask you good souls.
Just how much of a gap is there between UA5 and M5 Ultra ?
I mean sound quality wise, because functionality is a different game entirely.

Ty
I can't say anything about the UA5. But the difference will be quite high. When you read the last pages you will notice how high the sound quality is. I sold my Sony WM1 AM 2 because the M5U was superior to the Sony in terms of sound and in terms of dynamics and power anyway.

May 11, 2024 at 5:07 AM Post #146 of 148
Hi new M5U owners. I have a Shanling M7 which I've been delighted with, but am tempted by the M5U as a slightly smaller, lighter and possibly warmer/more euphoric second player for long listening sessions and commutes. Shanling have clearly done a good job - again. I'd be interested in any comments on how the two DAPs compare and whether this would add value or just take me further down the rabbit hole. I use the M7 with CA Supermoon IEMs (a wonderful combination for almost everything), my trusty Oppo PM3s and have just got a pair of ZMF Bokehs.

May 11, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #147 of 148
Hi new M5U owners. I have a Shanling M7 which I've been delighted with, but am tempted by the M5U as a slightly smaller, lighter and possibly warmer/more euphoric second player for long listening sessions and commutes. Shanling have clearly done a good job - again. I'd be interested in any comments on how the two DAPs compare and whether this would add value or just take me further down the rabbit hole. I use the M7 with CA Supermoon IEMs (a wonderful combination for almost everything), my trusty Oppo PM3s and have just got a pair of ZMF Bokehs.
When it came out, I only listened to the M7 as a sample and after 3 songs I decided that it wasn't for me. He was too bright for me. At that time I decided on an M8. The M5U reminds me a lot of the M 8. I love the sound of the M5U. Powerful, very good dynamic, very good structured bass, lots of body in the mids and nice soft highs. And the macro details fit the overall picture. I think M5U would be worth buying for you because it is totally musical with good timbre and the overall mood is different than with the M7. So a very good addition

:beerchug:

May 11, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #148 of 148
When it came out, I only listened to the M7 as a sample and after 3 songs I decided that it wasn't for me. He was too bright for me. At that time I decided on an M8. The M5U reminds me a lot of the M 8. I love the sound of the M5U. Powerful, very good dynamic, very good structured bass, lots of body in the mids and nice soft highs. And the macro details fit the overall picture. I think M5U would be worth buying for you because it is totally musical with good timbre and the overall mood is different than with the M7. So a very good addition

:beerchug:
Thanks very much. That’s most helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back