iMac 24 inch M3 / Are the audio dropout issues that plagued the M1 Macs solved?
Mar 1, 2024 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Mink

Headphoneus Supremus
I am considering buying the latest iMac with the M3 chip.
However, I am concerned about the audio dropout issues that apparently plagued the macs with the M1 and M2 chips.
I haven't found any consensus online what is causing these issues, some think it is related to the chips used, other think it is OSX related, how it manages memory.
Can anyone share their experiences with me?
I cannot live with frequent dropouts, while listening music and/or watching videos, if these problems aren't fixed I will stick with Windows.

Oh I must add, I will connect the iMac with a Marantz HD-DAC1 via an SMSL USB to Coaxial and Optical interface, which works excellent with my Windows laptop: the dropouts I got when connected my laptop via its USB output to the USB input of an external DAC, be it the HD-DAC1 or the Audio GD R2R 11 are completely gone. So maybe this connection would prevent my future iMac to 'drop out' with audio?

Thanks!

Mar 2, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 3
Ran an M1 MBA for about a year. Spouse uses it daily now and we have had it since they were released... no issues. Had a M1 Max Studio for a year, no issues, Presently using M2 Max Studio since they came out. No issues. Also use a 15" M2 MBA and 14" M3 Max MBP in rotation. No issues. I have read of people having challenges with them all but I have not. Hope to move up to an M3 Max Studio when they come out as I could use a little more horsepower. Fantastic machines, I think you will be safe if you purchase.

Mar 4, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #3 of 3
Many thanks! That is a bit reassuring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back