iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
May 19, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #2,191 of 2,194
This explains the sound difference between the diablo line and the rest of the line up.

So when they say say Finale it really is the final one eh? :sweat_smile:

At least assuming if we want the more rich sound signature.

EDIT: I'm contemplating between Black Label and Finale, I could get Black Label cheaper but I'm worried about the low volume imbalance, I wonder if it's safer to get Finale.

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #2,192 of 2,194
EDIT: I'm contemplating between Black Label and Finale, I could get Black Label cheaper but I'm worried about the low volume imbalance, I wonder if it's safer to get Finale.

As I wrote before, after we had a lot of complaints about the channel imbalance with early silver unit I helped iFi implement a screening process, that would reject around 50% of the incoming volume control.

This applied throughout later silver units and most of the black label's arguably very long run. At some point the screening process was moved to the Factory making the Pot's as they complained we rejected too many units. This more than doubled cost from the original appx 50 cent USD to a whole Dollar, but quality held up.

Then late in the history of the BL complaints returned to the head-fi threads I was monitoring. Upon investigation I found that the factory had stopped screening the parts and refused to either do it at all nor to accepts rejects back. I recommended to "The Management" to reintroduce the screening process and if necessarily scrap non-compliant pots. I was flat out told that would not happen and there was no problem.

I know the problem remained unfixed in the signature. We already had reports of problems with channel balance on the Finale posted.

SO, IF you ask me, you are probably best of all around with a Black Label, look up the battery spec (I posted it in DIY), buy a spare and be done. I also noted the switch order numbers should any die, any smartphone repair shoppe should be able to handle battery changes and soldering in replacement switches. So a BL should be able to have a very long life at a low cost.

Thor

May 19, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #2,193 of 2,194
I recommended to "The Management" to reintroduce the screening process and if necessarily scrap non-compliant pots. I was flat out told that would not happen and there was no problem.

Ah yes the classical business men vs engineers.

A problem that existed since beginning of time. Do it cheap vs do it right. :joy:

that would reject around 50% of the incoming volume control.
I know the problem remained unfixed in the signature. We already had reports of problems with channel balance on the Finale posted.

So what it sounds like it's basically going to be a 50/50 chance lottery then.

Maybe I'll start with the cheaper, secondhand black label first to see how it goes.

Thanks! :relaxed:

May 20, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #2,194 of 2,194
As far as I know it goes like this:

iDSD (Silver)
iDSD Black Label (Black)
iDSD Signature (Blue)
iDSD Signature Finale (Black)
Diablo (Red)
Diablo II (Red)

Crap I just realized I completely forgot about Diablo X, but that's story for another day. :sweat_smile:

iDSD (Silver)
iDSD Black Label (Black)
iDSD Signature (Blue)
iDSD Signature Finale (Black)
Diablo (Red)
Diablo X (Black/Red)
Diablo II (Red)

iFi need to stop pushing out a million products so fast lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back