iAudio 7: Limits of a Portable Headphone Amp?
Jun 26, 2008 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MWA

100+ Head-Fier
I recently purchased a Cowon iAudio 7 player. The iAudio 7 has no traditional line-out but relies exclusively on the processed analog headphone-out signal. As such, I need to ask a rudimentary question.

Am I limited, for example, to the style exemplified by Travagan's Colors headphone amp? It acquires and amplifies the processed headphone signal. Here's a review from techPowerUp that does a good job of describing the inimitable dog-bone's functions. Alternately, can I run the headphone signal into any portable amp, using its non-DAC line-in?

Jun 27, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 8
You can safely patch the iAudio 7 headphone output into any amp/preamp. I suggest starting with the volume at 30 and maybe bumping up...you just need to play with the volume.

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #3 of 8
GreatDane, thanks for the reply. I'm glad not to be limited. Now, to find the perfect sound . . .

Do you advocate procuring an amp that provides balance to your existing gear, or one that accentuates the sound you have. I have Klipsch Images. My gear presents a broad stage, warm and fun with defined, strong bass. Should I balance that with an analytical sounding amp, or accentuate it with a lush, warm amp?

Jun 27, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 8
I feel that the i7 has an uncolored sound but I still would not pair it with an amp that changes that. If you want to change that I'd simply use the nice sound enhancement features found on the i7...this is what I do anyway.

There are so many nice portable amps these days that it should be fun deciding on the perfect amp.

Jun 28, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #5 of 8
If I were you I would buy a neutral sounding amp. You can always make the sound more "fun" with the i7 harder to do it the other way around.

I'm glad you found a nice pair of IEMs
smily_headphones1.gif

Have fun!

Jul 2, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can safely patch the iAudio 7 headphone output into any amp/preamp. I suggest starting with the volume at 30 and maybe bumping up...you just need to play with the volume.

i've been told that to simulate a clean lineout would be to put at max volume without eq. why start at 30 and push up?

Jul 2, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by athenaesword /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've been told that to simulate a clean lineout would be to put at max volume without eq. why start at 30 and push up?

Just to be safe if connecting to a home preamp or car audio(head unit) in order to avoid overload...or if using a portable amp without low gain for proper volume with IEMs. I base this on my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back