Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 28, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #18,901 of 18,905
Not overkill, but you can always "do better" if you want to (buy music files and use proper music software like audirvana/roon)

Personally, there is always a special synergy between TT2 and all version of Abyss Diana. Sublime combination!
Well... I can vote on this one. Just got my TT2 to run my Diana TC, which I was driving with Xi Broadway and what a difference. I'm loving it (maybe still on honeymoon phase). But it is promising to be my desktop end game.

Currently using it as a Central DAC/AMP for my "monitor" (C3 43"), with Work, personal, video games and TV streaming all outputting to TT2. Just Sublime.

IMG_0940.jpeg

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #18,902 of 18,905
Honest question, I only listen to Spotify is the TT2 over kill? I have a nice collection of headphones btw
I actually think this might be a great idea and is not overkill at all. Eslecially if Spotify is how you usually listen to music. The great thing about listening to Spotify on the TT2 if you normally listen to Spotify is you'll be able to hear the particular improvements that only the TT2 brings. From there you can decide weather to move to another streaming service or not. I am a huge fan of changing one part of the chain at a time and waiting a bit between changes to really hear the characteristics of each change. Of course I have upgrade-itus like most audiophiles but the great thing about changing one thing at a time is that you'll get to have your own personal experience and really customize your components and experience around to what you personally love. You get to find your own personal synergy. I love Headfi, I really do, but at it's core it's just a bunch of people sharing opinions. This has helped me tremendously for sure, I donn't know that I would have even invested in the TT2 if it weren't for the glowing recommendations I have read in this thread. Sometimes however I can get so jacked on peoples opinions on here and I think that I really NEED the next best thing that end up not paying attention to what I personally love and want to hear. So if you love and are super familar with Spotify, I actually highly recommend using Spotify with yout TT2 for a good few months. Listen regualrly, all the songs you love, see what you perosnally experince, if you want more, chaose a different source, of you love it, stick with it. It's all about you loving your personal experince.

I have a CD transport connected to my TT2 and I love it. I've taken that route. I'm part of the Apple network at home with all my computers and phone so I often listen to music on Apple Music just because its easy. I had Roon, I had Qobuz, I had Tidal, and I get it, some things sounded slightly better, some sounded much better, some didn't. For me, not enough of a difference to pay over 2x as much as I do for Apple music. My personal experince lead me to a place where I listen to CDs when I want to deeply listen and I stream apple music when I want ease and to have infinate music. That's my personal perfection. Others love diving deep down the rabbit hole of highest resolution streaming possible, I did for a while then got tired of it. I once got in a conversation with a hifi product engineer about FLAC storage and streaming music and he took me down this wild rabbit hole about which external harddrive is best for different types of music and that's sort of what pointed me to the idea that I just need to chase my own pleasure in all this.

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #18,903 of 18,905
Anyone tried Audiolab's 9000 CDT with the TT2? Also anyone tried the new HEDDphone 2 with TT2? Impressions?

I use an Audiolab CDT6000 with my TT2 (sometimes also a vintage Meridian 200). I remain extremely pleased with it, though like some others I use only optical, as there are sometimes drop-outs via coax spdif when there are surges in the mains (i.e. water heater comes on, etc). Not sure if this was a batch problem, or a design flaw, but it has been reported over at the Steve Hoffman forum too. Since I prefer optical with my TT2, it hasn’t been an issue, and sounds fantastic. Build quality is far sturdier/heavy than the photos might suggest too.

John.

Apr 28, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #18,905 of 18,905
I use an Audiolab CDT6000 with my TT2 (sometimes also a vintage Meridian 200). I remain extremely pleased with it, though like some others I use only optical, as there are sometimes drop-outs via coax spdif when there are surges in the mains (i.e. water heater comes on, etc). Not sure if this was a batch problem, or a design flaw, but it has been reported over at the Steve Hoffman forum too. Since I prefer optical with my TT2, it hasn’t been an issue, and sounds fantastic. Build quality is far sturdier/heavy than the photos might suggest too.

John.
Thanks for that info. Sounds like the coax connection is acting like an aerial and picking up airborne switching noise. Quite surprised that Audiolab would have overlooked a basic design fault like that, though I suppose the 6000 CDT is built to quite a tight budget. Hoping there is a 9000 CDT/TT2 owner who can let me know if this fault has been addressed in the 9000 CDT as that's a potential deal breaker for me. I find coax sounds better than optical via the TT2.
Broadening out my search for a good transport (without going stratospheric), anyone using the Cyrus CDT-XR with TT2?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back