HQPlayer Impressions and Settings Rolling Thread
Apr 28, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #1,216 of 1,220
One thing about the wifi connection is it provides isolation. My Mac mini (Roon and HQP server) is connected to my router via LAN cable and then goes into a Gustard switch with a fiber port, so my front end is being fed by fiber (another fiber-LAN converter at the DAC side), which isolates in a similar way.
So if you're going to plug the Mac and PC into the router, I would highly recommend doing the same, with a short LAN cable into a fiber converter, then fiber optic cable to another converter near the Red (assuming it's being used as your streamer), with a short LAN cable from the Red into your DAC. Hope that makes sense.
Another way to approach things is to send the wifi signal to a mesh repeater/booster with a LAN port, then go straight out to the Red with another short LAN cable.

yes, I find that the wifi isolation provided by my iFi STREAM makes a notable difference in quality. I am a big believer in isolation.

It goes back to personal experience for me. At one time I owned a Wyred4Sound DAC-1LE Femto (ESS 9018 chip I think), and although it had onboard galvanic isolation via USB, nothing I could do, including temporarily lifting the PSU ground, could get rid of both a 60hz hum combined with a large amount of white noise.

I purchased an Intona USB Galvanic isolator, and never looked back. It took care of ALL the noise. Dead quiet after its insertion. I am sure several DAC's I have owned since have had no need for the extra isolation; however I have continued to use one anyway, knowing how well they can work.

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #1,217 of 1,220
Wonder what settings do you use for the dsc2? Pavek recommends dsd512 AMSDM7 512fs on his web page I suppose that was before the 7EC modulators become available?

Cheers

Yeah, GREAT question!

I am in process of building a more powerful PC, since my current HP all-in-one just can't handle the most complex filters or modulators. I wish I could get to 512fs.

Right now I am limited to 256x. My filter of choice for 44.1/48khz material is 'poly-sinc-gauss'. For higher resolution PCM it is 'poly-sinc-xtr-short-mp'. Modulator is one of the adaptive modulators... ASDM5ECv3.

Those parameters put my PC right at 96 percent usage.

For DSD to DSD conversion, if the DSD file I am playing is 256x, I simply pass it through. No need to re-modulate. For DSD64 and DSD128, I use a CIC integrator (which will be similar to what the DSC2 actually does in hardware for conversion), and use the 'wide' setting.

So far these have provided best results for me. As long as you don't input DSD64 into the DAC, it all sounds 'good'. It is just a matter of what sounds even better lol.

Not that DSD64 sounds bad per say... its just the 32tap filter is a bit long for that rate. (For comparison, TI/Burr-Brown uses an 8 tap filter for DSD64, and if I remember correctly, in the discussion I had with T+A audio, they thought the 8 tap filter was even too long! Their FIR filter is a mere 4 tap. It is important to note, that this isn't the only filter used. All of these DAC's have an analog (RC type in case of TI) downstream to complete the reconstruction.

But back on topic... I am researching low noise/high performance PC products and hopefully will have a 512fs capable system pretty soon.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #1,219 of 1,220
Yeah, GREAT question!

I am in process of building a more powerful PC, since my current HP all-in-one just can't handle the most complex filters or modulators. I wish I could get to 512fs.

Right now I am limited to 256x. My filter of choice for 44.1/48khz material is 'poly-sinc-gauss'. For higher resolution PCM it is 'poly-sinc-xtr-short-mp'. Modulator is one of the adaptive modulators... ASDM5ECv3.

Those parameters put my PC right at 96 percent usage.

For DSD to DSD conversion, if the DSD file I am playing is 256x, I simply pass it through. No need to re-modulate. For DSD64 and DSD128, I use a CIC integrator (which will be similar to what the DSC2 actually does in hardware for conversion), and use the 'wide' setting.

So far these have provided best results for me. As long as you don't input DSD64 into the DAC, it all sounds 'good'. It is just a matter of what sounds even better lol.

Not that DSD64 sounds bad per say... its just the 32tap filter is a bit long for that rate. (For comparison, TI/Burr-Brown uses an 8 tap filter for DSD64, and if I remember correctly, in the discussion I had with T+A audio, they thought the 8 tap filter was even too long! Their FIR filter is a mere 4 tap. It is important to note, that this isn't the only filter used. All of these DAC's have an analog (RC type in case of TI) downstream to complete the reconstruction.

But back on topic... I am researching low noise/high performance products and hopefully will have a 512fs capable system pretty soon.
I am currently just leaving DSc2 with dsd512x48, 7EC Super (not the 512fs version)

Filter choice depends on materials - xtr short mp for hard rock; default filters gauss long, hires lp for everything else…

Still surprised how everything just sounds like LPs

Apr 29, 2024 at 12:50 AM Post #1,220 of 1,220
Dude, I have an intona for both the ifi pro idsd and nos the dsc2, both have built in galvanic isolation, still benefit from having an intona in the chain!!
I have two Intona's.

The older model for 2.0USB, and the newer one that handles 3.0USB and has option for external PSU.

I agree. The signal chain benefits even if there is internal isolation.

Most internal galvanic isolation is after the input boards, (USB) and before the DAC board. That means any EMI/RF noise present on the USB input affects the USB clocks and other circuitry pre-DAC board, creating potential noise that isn't necessary. (grounding comes into play as well). I would rather have a clean signal right at the input, avoiding any such noise issues. Hence the Intona products. Great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back