Holo Audio Red Streamer
May 1, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #1,861 of 1,870
Tell me, how is qobuz managed without roon. Visual interface. Thank you.
You need to use a separate app with UPnP/DLNA. Examples are BubbleUPnP, mConnect, or JPlay. I used JPlay for a while and it was worth it, but the cost is very high. After one year with JPlay I decided to just use Roon because I want to integrate my large local library and Qobuz into the same app. Roon is just the best option for that.

If I only wanted to UPnP stream Qobuz to the Holo Red, I would go back to JPlay.

May 1, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #1,862 of 1,870
You need to use a separate app with UPnP/DLNA. Examples are BubbleUPnP, mConnect, or JPlay. I used JPlay for a while and it was worth it, but the cost is very high. After one year with JPlay I decided to just use Roon because I want to integrate my large local library and Qobuz into the same app. Roon is just the best option for that.

If I only wanted to UPnP stream Qobuz to the Holo Red, I would go back to JPlay.
Have you compared the sound with roon and jplay? Unfortunately, roon spoils the sound of hqplayer (personal experience).
Whether there was a difference in sound quality is naturally your subjective opinion.

May 1, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #1,863 of 1,870
I do not worry about sound between software, so I do not concern myself whether there was a difference or not. UPnP/DLNA is just sending a web URL to the player device, so it is not worth worrying about whether one software will sound different compared to another. The benefit between different UPnP/DLNA software versions is just the user experience. JPlay gave me a better user experience. I use HQPlayer with my Holo Spring 3 KTE because its upsampling is better, but I send it digital files with Roon because the user experience of Roon is better. I do not believe the software alone will make a useful difference. The Holo Red alone is the optimized device that I want to serve digital music to my DAC, so that is where the benefit is for digital audio.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #1,864 of 1,870
From a usability perspective, how easy is the Holo Red to implement compared to say, an EverSolo DMP-A6?

I use Roon (no HQPlayer). There's a lot of stuff in this thread that I don't understand and it seems rather daunting to figure out the Red. I want something I can put into my chain (replacing my DDC) to use as a DDC and streamer (understanding that the Red can only do one or the other at one time).

I want to take advantage of I2S into my DAC and want the benefits of a streamer, but the flexibility to also get audio from my PC. Seems the Red is the only option (unless someone can suggest some alternatives.

I plan to get a Wandla soon, FWIW.

May 1, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #1,865 of 1,870
you can either plug it and play, with Holo red OS, and it works straight with roon, or play with other OS like Roopie XL or Gentooplayer but it's quite easy to make it work.

May 1, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #1,866 of 1,870
From a usability perspective, how easy is the Holo Red to implement compared to say, an EverSolo DMP-A6?

I use Roon (no HQPlayer). There's a lot of stuff in this thread that I don't understand and it seems rather daunting to figure out the Red. I want something I can put into my chain (replacing my DDC) to use as a DDC and streamer (understanding that the Red can only do one or the other at one time).

I want to take advantage of I2S into my DAC and want the benefits of a streamer, but the flexibility to also get audio from my PC. Seems the Red is the only option (unless someone can suggest some alternatives.

I moved from U18 to Holo Red with the Holo Spring 3 KTE and is 2 steps better in my taste, If you like use the R26 with Holo Red via I2s, check the pinout I don't think it works properli with DSD.... so...

May 1, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #1,867 of 1,870

it's very easy to set-up the holo audio red in roon -- plug an ethernet cable into the red; open the red web page and select roon (plus a couple of roon options); go into roon and enable the holo audio red. that's all there is to it.

May 1, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #1,868 of 1,870
I do not worry about sound between software, so I do not concern myself whether there was a difference or not. UPnP/DLNA is just sending a web URL to the player device, so it is not worth worrying about whether one software will sound different compared to another. The benefit between different UPnP/DLNA software versions is just the user experience. JPlay gave me a better user experience. I use HQPlayer with my Holo Spring 3 KTE because its upsampling is better, but I send it digital files with Roon because the user experience of Roon is better. I do not believe the software alone will make a useful difference. The Holo Red alone is the optimized device that I want to serve digital music to my DAC, so that is where the benefit is for digital audio.
Hi,
UPnP/DLNA is sending a web URL to the player device, so there should have no sound different about whether one software compared to another.
Theoretically it is right and you are right. But actually, I hear the difference. Don't know why 😅
My friends and I also tried Mconnect on iphone, on ipad and on Macbook with same player device. They all sound different ! OMG

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #1,869 of 1,870
Hi,
UPnP/DLNA is sending a web URL to the player device, so there should have no sound different about whether one software compared to another.
Theoretically it is right and you are right. But actually, I hear the difference. Don't know why 😅
My friends and I also tried Mconnect on iphone, on ipad and on Macbook with same player device. They all sound different ! OMG
Suspect it depends a bit on one’s system, but I found the same with Bubble, Jplay and Roon/HQP (latter best). I also found Roon sounds better with my iPad Air 5th gen rather than a Samsung phone running Roon remote. After observing this I then read about some guys on another forum coincidentally doing a test of a bunch of phones and tablets as Roon Remote devices on a high end system and finding the same thing.. subtle differences, but iPad Air 5th gen best.

Spooky action at a distance. Pretty easy to compare and hear in my system. Give it a go.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #1,870 of 1,870
IMG_1788.jpeg

That is what Jplay said about the issue. I prefer Jplay app and it sound better in my system.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back