Holo Audio May DAC Speculation
May 1, 2024 at 7:04 AM Post #1,261 of 1,269
I've tried a number of so-called "perfect" USB devices. Many were good, none have offered complete immunity IME. I respect that may not be everyone's experience, hence my recommendation to test in your own system.

May 1, 2024 at 7:26 AM Post #1,262 of 1,269
Thanks everyone for the clarifications and advice. I haven't decided yet whether I'll use hqplayer with may. As I wrote earlier, I couldn’t find filters that I really liked. I'm waiting for May and will experiment.

I have a powerful PC with 13700 and 4090 rtx. But he is standing on the opposite side of the room. This is an 8 meter USB cable. Buying a second PC to use exclusively for hqplayer, and placing it next to May, is wasteful - I don’t know, I want to go this route. Now I use a regular 10m USB extension cable to connect my PC to the Hugo tt2. Everything works fine and hqplayer works through cuda on rtx 4090, which allows you to use it to the maximum.

Purchasing a streamer will allow you to connect hqplayer over the network. And from the streamer send a signal via usb/i2s to May.

These are my plans for now.

May 1, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #1,263 of 1,269
Why not consider PGGB, which can remaster files offline to DSD1024, and sounds incredible? So remaster on that PC, then use them in your server near to the May.

https://www.remastero.com/guide-plus.html#QSDSD

PS, I used to own the May, and still have my Dave. Used it with DSD upsampling out of HQP but didn't like it, too smooth- so sold it. The new PGGB DSD has really changed my mind about DSD. Downside is, you kinda still need powerful PC to upsample them, so quite similar to HQP requirements.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #1,264 of 1,269
Why not consider PGGB, which can remaster files offline to DSD1024, and sounds incredible? So remaster on that PC, then use them in your server near to the May.

https://www.remastero.com/guide-plus.html#QSDSD

PS, I used to own the May, and still have my Dave. Used it with DSD upsampling out of HQP but didn't like it, too smooth- so sold it. The new PGGB DSD has really changed my mind about DSD. Downside is, you kinda still need powerful PC to upsample them, so quite similar to HQP requirements.
The problem is that I don't have my own music. I use streaming services exclusively.

May 1, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #1,265 of 1,269
The problem is that I don't have my own music. I use streaming services exclusively.
I don't know if I'm allowed to mention this but when I tried PGGB I simply used Qobuz-dl to rip the files from the streaming service.

May 1, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #1,267 of 1,269
Is XLR or RCA preferred for the May? And does anyone have favorite cable brands they recommend ?_? I will need a new cable as my old one is too short.

May 1, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #1,268 of 1,269
Is XLR or RCA preferred for the May? And does anyone have favorite cable brands they recommend ?_? I will need a new cable as my old one is too short.
Definitely XLR. If you're sensitive to cable differences my recommendation is Lavricables Grand XLR which are expensive but not Audioquest levels.

If you're not get some star-quad configuration copper ones with Canare or Mogami wire and Neutrik plugs. (Benchmark sells quality ones for a low price)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back