Highest bitrate
Sep 5, 2014 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

benijuice

New Head-Fier
Hello I'm new so sorry if there's a better place for this or if it's already been asked.

What is the highest bitrate song possible?

I know at a certain point there's diminishing returns anyway. I'm just curious as to if there's a limit on Kbps and if so what it is.

Sep 5, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #2 of 7
An uncompressed stereo CD is 1411.2 Kbps. Lossless compression codecs like FLAC or ALAC can compress that to somewhere around 65%. If you have a higher bit depth, sample rate, or number of channels, the bit rate will be higher. There is technically no limit.

Sep 6, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 7
  An uncompressed stereo CD is 1411.2 Kbps. Lossless compression codecs like FLAC or ALAC can compress that to somewhere around 65%. If you have a higher bit depth, sample rate, or number of channels, the bit rate will be higher. There is technically no limit.

I suppose for "practical" purposes the highest would be 7.1 channel 24/192 kHz, so 8*24*192 = 36864 kbps. You'd be able to fit about 2.5 minutes of audio onto a CD 
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #4 of 7
DXD is higher than that, 8.4672 Mbit/s per channel. I'm not sure a sampling rate higher than DXD's has ever been used, because it would be pointless to do so.

Sep 6, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 7
  DXD is higher than that, 8.4672 Mbit/s per channel. I'm not sure a sampling rate higher than DXD's has ever been used, because it would be pointless to do so.

So that would be.. DXD combined with new 4k 'surround' 22.2 channel:

352.8khz / 24 bit / 24 ch = 203212.80 kbps..

or just under 90GB per hour of music..

Jul 5, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #7 of 7
Somewhere there is a clever tech guy who learned to toggle the ADC for recording to the max setting, and he's getting some nice loot for re-recording old stuff from tape to the highest setting. Beats the heck out of bitcoin mining. Of course, actually, they're the actual guys, bitcoin miners don't have anything better to do, so they waste video cards.
192 is really nice. Not nearly as all gaps as 44.1, more like what 96 still needs. Can't wait for a 384 ADC setting. Hmm, what if I just call up the record labels?... Get them in on buying the ADC for me to be paid back with my share of royalties, so we can get a nice one...
Now it's an only 96 track. It's going to be kind of sad to have to live with only this many points, but at least it's like double 44.1.
BS they haven't actually invented the DAC chip that can play anything like it was even real, especially biological stuff. These 4 feed my expensive analog section a very realistic output, that tape decks never got. Even when recording a custom playlist tape, you needed 20 albums to put on it. Then cd's came out, and they got away with charging double for less, but this DAC smokes my original cd player, easily. Now streaming a huge library is taking less of a hit than radio did, and works from the same player.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back