HiFiMan Susvara
Apr 28, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #25,591 of 25,603
Apr 28, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #25,592 of 25,603
I’ve been comparing the stock with Forza noir hybrid, and the stock is a little taller sounding I think and the Forza is kind of more in the center and more sub bassy. Any other compared the stock to Forza noir hybrid ? (I have the 4pin furutech plug)

May 1, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #25,594 of 25,603
Mjolnir 3. While both rag2 and mj3 3 is similar in the staging width, mj3 goes deeper and thus more open. I think the better refinement from mj3 gives it that deeper perception. The Zhal HM1 is the direct upgrade to the Mj3 if you want to find to keep all of mj3’s strengths and push them even higher

May 1, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #25,595 of 25,603
with all the talk of the susvara stock cable I decided to take mine out of mothballs and give it a listen tonight...it is as hideous as I remembered in terms of aesthetics but I must say it actually sounds darn good!

May 1, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #25,596 of 25,603
Speaking of cables, if anyone in the US is interested, I’ll be selling my DHC Chimera soon. It’s a bit too short for my needs.

May 1, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #25,597 of 25,603
with all the talk of the susvara stock cable I decided to take mine out of mothballs and give it a listen tonight...it is as hideous as I remembered in terms of aesthetics but I must say it actually sounds darn good!

Yes. Stock is really good tonally and technicalities are certainly impressive for a stock cable! I've been advocating a cable that has these qualities on my earlier post:

Stock is a great benchmark, but I agree with you that pulling off the exact stock cable tonality and just push everything good about it (more refined details, more sense of layering, more defined texture in subbass to upper bass, more weight to the notes) to maximum levels is the key

May 3, 2024 at 4:10 AM Post #25,600 of 25,603

Interesting. I’m going to do the same. I bought a JPS SC cable ages back for my DiPhi and they also fit the Susvara (2.5mm) and I found that I much preferred it and haven’t used the stock cable with Sus since then. My system has changed a fair bit since and I also got new pads for Susvara, so I’m intrigued now as to whether my thoughts on the cable might have changed.

May 3, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #25,601 of 25,603
It's now about three years I own a Susvara and FWIW here are the things I learned: It was a giant effort to get them sound great to my ears but I'm glad that I didn't give up. When I got them, I was a bit underwhelmed: while super detailed I found them too light in bass, occasionally too shouty in the upper mids and sometimes sounding a bit compressed overall. I experimented with different amps and although this improved things a little bit, it never sound quite right to me. In the last months I switched to fiber-based network and suddenly it sounded right! Now it sounds punchy, holographic and so big without being shouty anymore! Bass quantity just improved slightly but it seems for the first time that the timing is right. This improved the bass quality and tactility so much that the bass is wonderful now.
The Susvara is really reveals the properties and faults of the whole system and now I can hear about every change I make to my chain. In my case fixing the source was the biggest step I made. Now different amps are just more of a flavour in comparison.
My advice for all people who struggle with the Susvara and have the feeling that something does not sound right: Don't focus only on amps to fix the sound. Maybe you have a source issue that other headphones won't reveal. In my case fixing this was much more important.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #25,602 of 25,603
@infinityShake Do you use fiber all around? How do you Connect your source with fiber? Or do you use fiber conversion kit to Ethernet for source?

May 3, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #25,603 of 25,603
@infinityShake Do you use fiber all around? How do you Connect your source with fiber? Or do you use fiber conversion kit to Ethernet for source?
It's a conversion from Ethernet. I have a dedicated PC running HQPlayer and a Holo Red Streamer. They are connected via a Sonore Optical Module, a Cisco SFP-10G-AOC2M and an Etherregen switch. This way the streamer is galvanically isolated from the noisy PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back