HiBy RS2: dual card slots, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 8x--news and impressions thread
Apr 29, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #1,276 of 1,289
Thanks, have you tried it?
Stable?
Issue with track order resolved?

Apr 30, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #1,278 of 1,289
It's kinda strange. The firmware v1.3 from official hiby site (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZxyDZtPjHwJap6Xj68NZdpXjklEqk7Pf) is actually v1.2 firmware . There is probably a mistake here...
Did you install it on your RS2 and then check the firmware in the about section on the machine itself? I downloaded and installed rs2.upt (dated Apr 7, 2024) on my RS2 yesterday and it is now showing FW 1.3. I installed from Joe Bloggs' link (post 100) on:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/proof-of-evolution—darwin-filters-v2-for-hiby-rs6-rs8-rs2-fc6.969083/page-7

The link in your post and that one are the same one I used so not sure why yours is still 1.2.

Do you still have the old 1.2 firmware update file on what ever SD card you're using that your machine may be picking instead of the new one?

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #1,279 of 1,289
Mine also showed 1.3. Other than the new V2 filters (which I still can't hear the differences!), it all seems to work well for me. I'm not sure what the track order issue is as I usually shuffle, or I pick an Artist->Album, and listen to it in order. Both work the same

Apr 30, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #1,280 of 1,289
Mine also showed 1.3. Other than the new V2 filters (which I still can't hear the differences!), it all seems to work well for me. I'm not sure what the track order issue is as I usually shuffle, or I pick an Artist->Album, and listen to it in order. Both work the same
Last night I had a good listen with NOS toggle to OFF and just selected the Darwin Ultra filter, nothing else. Had my RS2 4.4mm Balanced line out to Balanced line in on my A&K PA-10 Amp. Yeah, when I A/B it's hard to hear a difference but that's just me; I trust there is something good and improved going on so I'll just leave it at those settings for now.

I was playing a mix of Hi-Res 24/96 PCM (Hania Rani -Ghosts) and various other stuff from DSD 256 to 16/44.1 FLAC to MP3 standard bit rate, etc. It all sounded great on my Edition XS's and I suppose there is a nice analog sound to most everything. For local file listening, for me, the RS2 is excellent, especially amped, although I also really like Neutron Player for local files when in Android.

I even thought I would compare my RS2 Darwin Ultra'd Steely Dan Babylon Sisters CD 16/44.1 rip to how I remembered the new UHQR version that Michael Fremer demo'd on the Wilson Benesch $370K turntable on youtube. Well, even in memory, no comparison but that's a no brainer. I heard some of high freq splash on the rip that wasn't on the UHQR but that's to be expected. I imagine there are additional filters that could deal somewhat with hi-freq issues but I'm kinda lazy in that regard and never want to mess too much with the original production. Still sounded decent.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #1,281 of 1,289
Did you install it on your RS2 and then check the firmware in the about section on the machine itself? I downloaded and installed rs2.upt (dated Apr 7, 2024) on my RS2 yesterday and it is now showing FW 1.3. I installed from Joe Bloggs' link (post 100) on:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/proof-of-evolution—darwin-filters-v2-for-hiby-rs6-rs8-rs2-fc6.969083/page-7

The link in your post and that one are the same one I used so not sure why yours is still 1.2.

Do you still have the old 1.2 firmware update file on what ever SD card you're using that your machine may be picking instead of the new one?
Thanks for reply. But I'm still can't find v1.3 .

I'm pretty sure that in links from hiby site to google drive for v1.2 and v1.3 rs2 firmware is the same file (v1.2 I think).

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WMWuMv2ON7rLxXCBnUR0zNnYjGoc_Ehy
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZxyDZtPjHwJap6Xj68NZdpXjklEqk7Pf

Update. Sorry it's actually v1.3 and I've updated successfully my firmware of rs2. I probably put firmware v1.3 file in SD card in second slot. And in the first slot there was a old firmware v1.2. So it was just my mistake....

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #1,282 of 1,289
Thanks for reply. But I'm still can't find v1.3 .

I'm pretty sure that in links from hiby site to google drive for v1.2 and v1.3 rs2 firmware is the same file (v1.2 I think).

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WMWuMv2ON7rLxXCBnUR0zNnYjGoc_Ehy
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZxyDZtPjHwJap6Xj68NZdpXjklEqk7Pf

Update. Sorry it's actually v1.3 and I've updated my firware of rs2. I probably put firmware v1.3 file in SD card in second slot. And in the first slot there was a old firmware v1.2. So it was just my mistake....
Yeah, I've had the case where I had V1.2 still on my SD card in slot 1 and somehow the machine took it upon itself to reinstall that same firmware after I had already installed it previously. I kept thinking What??? then later on I figured it out. I made sure this time to get the new firmware install off my card!

May 5, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #1,284 of 1,289
Hi everyone!

Recently got the RS2, and was going to update the firmware to v1.3. Haven't played anything yet. It's firmware is v1.06.

I have a microSDXC card ready to use, but it sounds like the RS2 only works with microSD only (ie., not compatible with one of the higher capacity variants like microSDHC or SDXC)?

If that is true, where can I get a microSD card? It seems like all the reputable brands only have microSDHC or SDXC, etc.

Thank you!

May 5, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #1,285 of 1,289
Hi everyone!

Recently got the RS2, and was going to update the firmware to v1.3. Haven't played anything yet. It's firmware is v1.06.

I have a microSDXC card ready to use, but it sounds like the RS2 only works with microSD only (ie., not compatible with one of the higher capacity variants like microSDHC or SDXC)?

If that is true, where can I get a microSD card? It seems like all the reputable brands only have microSDHC or SDXC, etc.

Thank you!
Amazon is where I get all my mirco SD cards. I was told that audio unlike video does not need high-capacity cards.

May 6, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #1,288 of 1,289
Update: a couple of issues with trying to update the firmware.

1. I insert my microSDXC card into slot 1 until it clicks. However, the RS2 OS says firmware file not found.
2. When I try to look up files using Music->Files->SD-card 1, it says SD card not found.

Questions:

1. My card is formatted exFAT. The RS2 should be able to read this file system, right?
2. When the card clicks in to the slot, it sticks out about 2mm. Is this normal/correct? It should be locked in now, right? However, I can still pull it straight out without having to push it in to "unlock" it.

Upshot is I'm trying to understand why the RS2 won't recognize the card.

Thank you!

May 6, 2024 at 1:41 AM Post #1,289 of 1,289
Update: a couple of issues with trying to update the firmware.

1. I insert my microSDXC card into slot 1 until it clicks. However, the RS2 OS says firmware file not found.
2. When I try to look up files using Music->Files->SD-card 1, it says SD card not found.

Questions:

1. My card is formatted exFAT. The RS2 should be able to read this file system, right?
2. When the card clicks in to the slot, it sticks out about 2mm. Is this normal/correct? It should be locked in now, right? However, I can still pull it straight out without having to push it in to "unlock" it.

Upshot is I'm trying to understand why the RS2 won't recognize the card.

Thank you!
mine clicks in fully (i.e. is quite flush with the case and does not protrude at all) and does need to be push in to remove it. I am guessing that you are inserting it contact side up. Don't recall if there are markers but just in case SD-1 is the one on the left side

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back