Hiby FC6 - another R-2R USB dongle
May 4, 2024 at 2:25 AM Post #408 of 419
Do you guys use HDR option and what the optimal filter options
My personal choice for any R2R is to avoid oversampling, otherwise I would use delta-sigma. So, for me personally it is NOS mode, meaning no filter or hdr.

HDR makes sense in OS mode and again it is hardly a noticeable difference.

All OS filters have their own sound signature, it's up to one's personal preference. I would use the one that is closest to the digitalized source which is (named differently in different devices) fast normal/sharp. But again, I personally would not use any filter with R2R.

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 3:03 AM Post #409 of 419
My personal choice for any R2R is to avoid oversampling, otherwise I would use delta-sigma. So, for me personally it is NOS mode, meaning no filter or hdr.

HDR makes sense in OS mode and again it is hardly a noticeable difference.

All OS filters have their own sound signature, it's up to one's personal preference. I would use the one that is closest to the digitalized source which is (named differently in different devices) fast normal/sharp. But again, I personally would not use any filter with R2R.
If you say no filter what option will it be?

May 4, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #412 of 419
Oh I mean like,
Slow normal
Fast late

All that
These are filters. NOS mode doesn't use filters. OS mode does.

Start with listening in NOS mode and later compare to OS mode Fast Normal which is the most correct of the filters with least coloring. Leave HDR as it is: OFF in NOS, ON in OS.

Don't start comparing immediately, give NOS mode some listening with various things you like, for brain adjustment.

May 4, 2024 at 3:29 AM Post #413 of 419
These are filters. NOS mode doesn't use filters. OS mode does.

Start with listening in NOS mode and later compare to OS mode Fast Normal which is the most correct of the filters with least coloring. Leave HDR as it is: OFF in NOS, ON in OS.

Don't start comparing immediately, give NOS mode some listening with various things you like, for brain adjustment.
Alright thanks I assume mine the latest version? But if mine is not I might keep the current setup? Cause I really enjoying the intimate vocals and everything

May 4, 2024 at 3:38 AM Post #414 of 419
Alright thanks I assume mine the latest version? But if mine is not I might keep the current setup? Cause I really enjoying the intimate vocals and everything
Latest is 1.7, you can tell if you have it easily as it has additionally the Darwin filter. Updating is quick and not difficult.

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 3:49 AM Post #416 of 419
Is there a way to see the new Darwin filter?
When you update to 1.7 it will be in the list of filters when you switch between them.

update link, for update instructions look inside the update archive. It's quick and easy

I am not a fan of the very coloured sound of the Darwin filter but the update fixes bugs too, so a good idea.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #418 of 419
I've updated to 1.7 and it has a Darwin Ultra filter that works in all modes and I feel it's a bit sharper compared to the other filters.
The HDR filter with (OS) oversampling makes a noticeable difference to my ears, adding more resolution I would say a bit better separation, a sharper sound and also it makes a noticeable difference reducing noise in comparison to the NOS setting.
However I still prefer the NOS setting with the slow roll off filter because I like its very analog and extended sweet sound. What an amazing tiny device to be honest.

May 7, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #419 of 419
I've updated to 1.7 and it has a Darwin Ultra filter that works in all modes and I feel it's a bit sharper compared to the other filters.
The HDR filter with (OS) oversampling makes a noticeable difference to my ears, adding more resolution I would say a bit better separation, a sharper sound and also it makes a noticeable difference reducing noise in comparison to the NOS setting.
However I still prefer the NOS setting with the slow roll off filter because I like its very analog and extended sweet sound. What an amazing tiny device to be honest.
Just a note, filters don't work in NOS mode, Darwin ultra incl. Although my wife believes she hears a difference between filters in NOS mode...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• HDot
Back