Help!!! MD Recording from analog source
Aug 10, 2001 at 4:21 PM Post #16 of 20
I certainly wouldn't vacuum clean my records (if that's what you meant) for fear of scratching them with the vacuum cleaner attachment (although it is in theory a good idea with a dedicated vacuum specifically made for cleaning phonograph records. There IS such a thing, isn't there? There used to be!)

As for recording from line input vs. "variable" output (preamp out), you would theoretically be better off recording from the "line" or "record" output because the "variable" output certainly has more components in the signal path. At MINIMUM, there's a volume control. But there is probably at least one more stage of amplification, as well as possibly tone controls (?), etc. The "purist" approach is to use the "line" out, or dedicated "record" out. But in reality, whatever works, WORKS! If you're satisfied with the results with the method you're using, go with it! (However, I don't see why recording from the "variable"output is necessary. Even minimalist high end preamps (with no tone controls, etc) generally have record outputs. Does yours not have this?)

Aug 10, 2001 at 5:37 PM Post #17 of 20
If you are going to spend money on a special cleaner this is the one to buy: http://www.discdoc.com/

Otherwise, save your money and use Joy or Ivory dishsoap and SEVERAL different brushes:

1. Bowl with warm DISTILLED water and 3 DROPS of Ivory. get a little suds action going and dip your First brush in it.

BE GENTLE!
2. Pre-Wet the LP and clean record passing the brush the same direction the neddle passes.

3. Rinse with DISTILLED water. Rinse again (no more suds).

4. Brush with Second brush and let dry. (half hour minimum)

Repeat for second side (rinse brushes between use)

5. Brush with Third brush just before playing. If you find gunk on your needle, you didn't rinse enough.

Also Note: A record should only need this don't once in its life. This won't help scratches.

One other thing that makes other vinyl junkies cringe but I swear buy is before playing is spraying a LITE mist of computer Anti-Static spray on the table (not the record it self). I live in humid south and static is always a problem. Another option is a Zero Stat - Disc Doctor has them as well.

Hope this helps!

Aug 10, 2001 at 5:41 PM Post #18 of 20
Geez Audio Redneck, I hope the "brushes" you recommend are some kind of brushes specifically made not to damage lps. If not, then I can't state strongly enough that NOBODY should take garden variety "brushes" to their cherished lp collection! You can do far more damage in 20 seconds than could actually playing the album hundreds of times!

Aug 10, 2001 at 8:44 PM Post #19 of 20
I mean the standard soft DiscWasher or Pickering Carbon Fiber brushes designed for LPs. The big thing to remember is to let the soap do the job and not the brush (no scrubbing). You are just using the brush to lift away what the cleaner has loosened or desolved into solution.

**I should have also noted that you should pre-wet the LP before soaping, and rinse the first & second brush between uses**.

But I do know some guys that cut artist hair-type paint brushes down to about 1/4 inch and say they work great (I IN NO WAY RECOMMEND THAT).

What ever way he uses (or anybody), the key thing to remember is:

BE GENTLE - SKIN GROWS BACK, VINYL DOESN'T

Aug 10, 2001 at 9:39 PM Post #20 of 20
I remember a couple of years after CD's were introduced, Bob Carver put a circuit into his Carver CD players which introduced a tiny bit of right channel info into the left channel and a bit of left channel info into the right channel to simulate the effect of crosstalk which was/is inherent in phono cartridges. This was done to make CD's more palatable to LP listeners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back