Grado Fan Club!
May 4, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #65,626 of 65,639
IMG_3182.jpeg

I like SR60 (F-pads) (again). Definitely some forward lower treble that is fun upon first listen but fatiguing over long listens which is how I imagine classic Grado. Cheap SR60 like cheap Porta Pro in that the bass extends and sounds very nice considering price and small form factor. a/b comparison against 325x and Porta Pro would interesting.

For removing stubborn Nakamichi screws I ordered some penetrant oil and mini-ratchet set. Thanks!

edit: SR60 reminds me very much of Nak SP-7 if SR60 were closed-back. Discerning small differences will take more listening and careful comparison but Im not inclined as both a little fatiguing due to forward upper mids to lower treble, SR60 less so but I think thats totally due to effect of open-back vs closed-back. Grado knew how to make SP-7 sing.

ymmv

also edit

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #65,628 of 65,639
I currently consider the Asgard 3, the class A mode used for lower output should work well for Grados I think. Did you try that one as well?
I have an Asgard OG, Asgard 3, a Darkvoice and a THX amp...

GS1000 OG.....the Darkvoice

SR325x, RS2x, PS500x.......Asgard 3

I am kicking the tires on the Vali 3...

The THX is good for balanced LCD2C, HE400i, NightOwl, and Aeon.

May 4, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #65,629 of 65,639

I am kicking the tires on the Vali 3...

Thank you, sounds promising.
The Vali 3 looks tempting as well

May 4, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #65,630 of 65,639

I am kicking the tires on the Vali 3 ****

**** it uses only one tube .... 😂

May 4, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #65,631 of 65,639
I got the RS2x yesterday and after listening to various tracks, including my speaker/headphone evaluation playlist, I'm very pleased. Compared to the 325x, it has more clarity, detail and delineation and actually quite a nice sense of 3D in the soundstage. The 325x sounds thicker or fuller and has more bass. If there's something lacking with the RS2x, it would be it's slightly bass-light. That said, the bass notes, while not as visceral as the 325x or other cans, are very clean and precise. The RS2x is also very light and I was surprised, quite comfortable. I'm able to fit the earpads over my ears.

I'm using a Modi+ DAC and a Vali 3 amp. I replaced the stock tube with a GE5670 and have it on the low gain setting. The Vali 3 is a really nice amp. No noise floor and it has plenty of power to drive the Grados. On the high setting it easily drives my Senn 800's.

May 4, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #65,632 of 65,639
I got the RS2x yesterday and after listening to various tracks, including my speaker/headphone evaluation playlist, I'm very pleased. Compared to the 325x, it has more clarity, detail and delineation and actually quite a nice sense of 3D in the soundstage. The 325x sounds thicker or fuller and has more bass. If there's something lacking with the RS2x, it would be it's slightly bass-light. That said, the bass notes, while not as visceral as the 325x or other cans, are very clean and precise. The RS2x is also very light and I was surprised, quite comfortable. I'm able to fit the earpads over my ears.

I'm using a Modi+ DAC and a Vali 3 amp. I replaced the stock tube with a GE5670 and have it on the low gain setting. The Vali 3 is a really nice amp. No noise floor and it has plenty of power to drive the Grados. On the high setting it easily drives my Senn 800's.
The rs2x will gain some thickness in the bass over some time of usage. I quite enjoy it for rap.

May 4, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #65,633 of 65,639

Glad you already like it. It will improve a lot over time, softer and with more bass. You will have a lot of fun.

I almost return mine and it became my favorite one.

May 5, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #65,634 of 65,639
Yup--this is my 4th PS1000. I definitely regretting selling them each and every time. Funny thing is--each of them sounded different and mostly regretted selling my 2nd pair which is why I bought the 3rd--but they didn't stack uo to my 2nd pair so I sold them. This pair is already stacking up to my 2nd pair without burn in--they're very balanced with beautiful mids. These are right up there with any TOTL headphone I've experienced in their own ways, just like all TOTL headphones.
I clearly identify with Joseph69’s 4th time purchase of his PS1000. In my case, it’s the GS1000i, which I also bought for the 4th time today. As with Joseph, I also eventually regretted selling my GS1000i and missed their unique sound. The pair I’ve landed are from the original owner who’s taken very good care of them. He has 275 transactions on Canuck Audio Mart with 100% positive feedback and quite pleasant in his communication. The drivers are the original ones which is a must for me & he assured me that they are indeed the originals and that he’s never had any issues with the HP. The GS1000i, as w/ Joseph’s PS1000, are to me, as his, are to him, right up there w/ TOTL headphones. What a crazy, enjoyable hobby.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #65,635 of 65,639
I clearly identify with Joseph69’s 4th time purchase of his PS1000. In my case, it’s the GS1000i, which I also bought for the 4th time today. As with Joseph, I also eventually regretted selling my GS1000i and missed their unique sound. The pair I’ve landed are from the original owner who’s taken very good care of them. He has 275 transactions on Canuck Audio Mart with 100% positive feedback and quite pleasant in his communication. The drivers are the original ones which is a must for me & he assured me that they are indeed the originals and that he’s never had any issues with the HP. The GS1000i, as w/ Joseph’s PS1000, are to me, as his, are to him, right up there w/ TOTL headphones. What a crazy but joyful hobby.
I love my GS1000i, which I bought used in Oct. 2015 (they were very lightly used). I also love the GR10e, a discontinued Grado IEM, which overall I think is for me musically on par with the GS, and which of course are much more efficient. I often alternate for periods between the two.

Both are Grado gems IMO and compliment each other well for me.

My SR225e are also very musical and enjoyable but not on the same level as the other two.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #65,636 of 65,639
IMG_3198.jpeg

IMG_3201.jpeg

Didnt need to remove that screw afterall. Shimmied out with some prying. Just have to maneuver out the prongs attached to driver sleeve which are also used for cup rotation. I did try the oil on the screw but didnt help which is why I resorted to violence.

I put the drivers into SR60 cups and was worried grill was pressing against back of driver so removed grill. Uncertain if was necessary but wanted to be careful. Ill replace with some metal mesh then i suppose though that is also not necessary. Inside the driver magnet vent there is some dust filter to protect the diaphragm.
IMG_3206.jpeg

IMG_3209.jpeg

IMG_3213.jpeg

Tried getting a photo to show how close the driver is to grill. I didnt compare closely but Nak driver sleeve could be shorter height compared to SR60.

First impression (F-pads, iPhone dongle): smooth mid-treble transition unlike stock enclosure… can sorta replicate stock enclosure by placing hands over cups. Definitely warmer when open-back. From memory comparison to SR60, Nak probably less bass extension in exchange for smoothed treble so win/lose, I think Id prefer SR60’s choice of compromises for short listening sessions. SR60 con was that it’s lower treble was a bit exhuberant but fatiguing over longer sessions. Unsure which is more detailed, Ill try comparing directly to 325x later.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 2:37 AM Post #65,637 of 65,639
Just showing a bit of love. I used to have a Grado Hemp when I lived in the States, but I moved to be with my partner in another country. I sold my Hemp for a bit of extra cash but I’m beating myself over the head now. I should’ve just kept it, they were quite special haha. Anyways, I missed having a Grado. Luckily someone nearby was selling their SR80e! They have a 325e and mostly just use that. Lucky me, I grabbed that deal real quick. I regret selling the Hemp but I’m glad it and the SR80e have been gateway drugs to the Grado headphones. Gonna keep my eye on the 325x for any sales in the near future 👀

Attachments

• IMG_1072.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1070.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1081.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #65,639 of 65,639
I clearly identify with Joseph69’s 4th time purchase of his PS1000. In my case, it’s the GS1000i, which I also bought for the 4th time today. As with Joseph, I also eventually regretted selling my GS1000i and missed their unique sound. The pair I’ve landed are from the original owner who’s taken very good care of them. He has 275 transactions on Canuck Audio Mart with 100% positive feedback and quite pleasant in his communication. The drivers are the original ones which is a must for me & he assured me that they are indeed the originals and that he’s never had any issues with the HP. The GS1000i, as w/ Joseph’s PS1000, are to me, as his, are to him, right up there w/ TOTL headphones. What a crazy, enjoyable hobby.
Congratulations on your newly acquired GS1000i!
Glad you were able to reunite again with your favorite Grado that you, like I, have have bought and sold a few times and have come back full circle back to them to stay this time. Enjoy--and don't let them go.

PS: Listening to my PS1000 as I type this via my Schiit Modi/Magni desktop set up.

I love my GS1000i, which I bought used in Oct. 2015 (they were very lightly used). I also love the GR10e, a discontinued Grado IEM, which overall I think is for me musically on par with the GS, and which of course are much more efficient. I often alternate for periods between the two.

Both are Grado gems IMO and compliment each other well for me.

My SR225e are also very musical and enjoyable but not on the same level as the other two.
Also have the GR10e which I use with my Schiit Modi/Magni desk top set up.
My first ever IEM and I enjoy them very much--thanks to @ESL1 who gifted them to me BNIB. Thanks again, Joe!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back