FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
May 8, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #902 of 913
Yes, linear power supply, but for my MZ3 amp.
Ok, thanks. I've been wondering if a linear PSU would improve the ADI-2 (despite what RME say) so was hoping you'd tried it.

May 8, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #903 of 913
Ok, thanks. I've been wondering if a linear PSU would improve the ADI-2 (despite what RME say) so was hoping you'd tried it.
Manufacturers will often tell you power supply upgrades will make no difference, its hardly ever true. I'd definitely give it a shot. The reason they make these claims is so they dont have to include such a power supply and be forced to raise prices which would equal less units sold.

May 8, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #904 of 913
Manufacturers will often tell you power supply upgrades will make no difference, its hardly ever true. I'd definitely give it a shot. The reason they make these claims is so they dont have to include such a power supply and be forced to raise prices which would equal less units sold.
I agree, I'm sure they have excellent smoothing in the ADI-2 but even so, switch mode power supplies are horrible noisy things.

May 8, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #905 of 913
Before getting the Mentor I really wanted to give the Violectric V281 reissue a shot. It's powerful and have that tube like warmth with bass slam. I know it pairs well with Meze and Focal but not sure if it was worth $1200 more than the Mentor (after shipping and paypal fees).

sure isnt bc at that price you could have the Mentor STACK.

May 9, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #906 of 913
As mentioned earlier my chain is Stack Audio Link 2 > Mscaler and TT2 > 1266 TC. Orders are open again on their site, took the plunge and ordered the Mentor stack, not sure on delivery but the Flux team said 2 months in an email to me yesterday, they were pooling interested customers. I'll update here, if i receive a shipping date.

May 9, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #907 of 913
As mentioned earlier my chain is Stack Audio Link 2 > Mscaler and TT2 > 1266 TC. Orders are open again on their site, took the plunge and ordered the Mentor stack, not sure on delivery but the Flux team said 2 months in an email to me yesterday, they were pooling interested customers. I'll update here, if i receive a shipping date.
:blowfish: Two whole months of waiting?

May 9, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #909 of 913
Quick observations, less than 24 hours after arrival:

The Abyss 1266 (and I reckon other hard-to-drive, low sensitivity, planars) are driven to proper (dare I say, perfect) levels with stunningly full frequency range. These particular headphones are capable of so much sub-bass and bass and the Mentor has power in spades. Soundstage is really wide (might also be the nature of these headphones) and midrange & high frequency detail is superb. With a quick listen on the HD800S, all the brilliance you'd expect is there (that I hear with my other amps and the HD800S), but the added bonus is that this amp makes them punch more in low-mid. This is a very welcome attribute. I'll have more listening time with both, but primarily listening with the Abyss right now. This amp feels like I just stepped into a very powerful 8-cylinder 500+ horsepower finely-tuned automobile. Nimble, precise, and POWERFUL.

Second thing to note: I don't have the proper interconnects, so no way of using the WA22 as a preamp until I obtain some cables. That'll be on the to-do list.

0JqZOYi.jpg

May 9, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #910 of 913

Users who are viewing this thread

Back