[FiiO M11 Plus LTD/M11 Plus] THXAAA-78,Android 10, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output/4.4 LO output, Dual AK4497/ES9068AS DAC chips, 4GB RAM,64G Flash
Apr 15, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #2,971 of 2,984
Considering that the DAP's main function is to play music and the user will install music streaming applications, how important are Android security updates for this purpose? In my opinion, the biggest issue is the support that the streaming app developer provides for a given version of Android.

Below is the minimum requirement for the top music streaming apps:

Amazon Music - Android 9
Apple Music - Android 6
Deezer - Android 6
Spotify - Android 5
Qobuz - Android 6
Tidal - Android 7
YouTube Music - Android 8

That is exactly what I was thinking when reading the post about security updates.

I have used You Tube in my M11 Plus about once a year and very occasionally use Chrome on a Shanling to download updates.

I am no internet security expert but I would logically expect that this type of use would create very low vulnerability to security problems.

I would be most appreciative if someone who understands this stuff would offer some insight.

Apr 15, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #2,972 of 2,984
All my hi res music is played via sd card as well, i play nothing from the internet.

Apr 15, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #2,973 of 2,984
All my hi res music is played via sd card as well, i play nothing from the internet.

That was touched on earlier but isn't the issue here.

I prefer streaming since it opens up avenues to a whole lot of music and even if I download and listen offline I still need to go online from time to time.

I would like to understand this better but frankly I can't imagine it is a significant issue or even a remotely realistic issue. There must be many thousands of older Android Daps out there still in use with much older versions of Android that see some online time and I don't ever recall hearing of somebody'd DAP being adversely affected by an online security problem. I recall that even some quite new DAPs are on 7.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #2,974 of 2,984
Yeah, I don't get the fuss either - as listed above, if the requirements for the streaming apps are android 5,6,7 then i'm not worried about it - I have a large local library on my SD card, but I do use some streaming - even if it wasn't getting the newest security updates, the likelihood of anything happening because of that I see as extremely low. If the apps work, they're not buggy, everything connects like it should, then i'm happy.
Of course, now that I think about it I drive a 2009 car and have multiple jackets that are 15 years old, so i'm not exactly on the bleeding edge of what's new and hot (I do at least have an S23 Ultra, lol)

Apr 24, 2024 at 11:50 PM Post #2,975 of 2,984
@FiiO

Please answer, why were the capabilities of DACs (AK4497EQ) and amplifiers (THX AAA-78) in the Fiio M11 Plus LTD artificially reduced? I want to understand.

Attachments

• snapshot_www.fiio.com_1714016115414.png
    snapshot_www.fiio.com_1714016115414.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #2,976 of 2,984
@FiiO

Please answer, why were the capabilities of DACs (AK4497EQ) and amplifiers (THX AAA-78) in the Fiio M11 Plus LTD artificially reduced? I want to understand.
Dear friend,

Hi, this shows the parameters of the DAC, for M11Plus, since the SOC can only support up to 384kHz at present, it can only support DSD256 playback at present, but we are currently studying how to make the main control support 768kHz, and then it can support DSD512 playback.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 25, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #2,977 of 2,984
That is exactly what I was thinking when reading the post about security updates.

I have used You Tube in my M11 Plus about once a year and very occasionally use Chrome on a Shanling to download updates.

I am no internet security expert but I would logically expect that this type of use would create very low vulnerability to security problems.

I would be most appreciative if someone who understands this stuff would offer some insight.
It is not that simple.

It is a complex and complicated topic. There is a chance that the lack of security updates never affects you, there is chance it does. Nobody can know the future and know what exactly you are doing.

Especially when you have an Windows PC, there could be malware on your PC that is doing nothing more than checking the network for vulnerable devices (that is something that actually happens, a _lot_). So having your device in the same network as an PC could already be enough. Maybe not. Depends on too many factors to answer.

If you don't do anything relevant on the DAP and there is nothing important, the worst that could happen is that the OS goes garbage. In the best case, a reset does the job. In the worst case, its a root exploit and your device is bricked. But that is very rare.

For example you don't use your Google Account on the Device, you don't use important credentials on any of the streaming services and there are no credit card informations or similar in the accounts of these services, than you can ignore it.

If you only playback local music files, it doesn't really matter. You're maybe hit by bugs that annoy you that are already solved but thats most likely the worst that happens.

If you connect it to the Internet to do streaming, it gets complicated due to a lot of reasons. Usually you have to pay for these streaming services which means, you have to connect an account with payment information. That is, where it gets complicated.

The best thing is to just not take the risk. Why would you not want updates? There is no reason to not want them. The only reason people say they don't need them and don't care is, because they can't have them. So if you have no choice anyway, you just give up and tell yourself "I don't need them" because the alternative would mean, don't buy that DAP. And if you wan't that DAP, there is nothing you can do.

Apr 25, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #2,978 of 2,984
Dear friend,

Hi, this shows the parameters of the DAC, for M11Plus, since the SOC can only support up to 384kHz at present, it can only support DSD256 playback at present, but we are currently studying how to make the main control support 768kHz, and then it can support DSD512 playback.

Best regards
Why are you lying again and avoiding a direct answer?
https://www.fiio.com/m11plusltd

By the way, Fiio M11 Plus LTD now plays DSD512 perfectly. Why can’t PCM 32/768, it’s unclear? Why you avoid answering my question is also not clear.

Apr 25, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #2,979 of 2,984
It is not that simple.

It is a complex and complicated topic. There is a chance that the lack of security updates never affects you, there is chance it does. Nobody can know the future and know what exactly you are doing.

Especially when you have an Windows PC, there could be malware on your PC that is doing nothing more than checking the network for vulnerable devices (that is something that actually happens, a _lot_). So having your device in the same network as an PC could already be enough. Maybe not. Depends on too many factors to answer.

If you don't do anything relevant on the DAP and there is nothing important, the worst that could happen is that the OS goes garbage. In the best case, a reset does the job. In the worst case, its a root exploit and your device is bricked. But that is very rare.

For example you don't use your Google Account on the Device, you don't use important credentials on any of the streaming services and there are no credit card informations or similar in the accounts of these services, than you can ignore it.

If you only playback local music files, it doesn't really matter. You're maybe hit by bugs that annoy you that are already solved but thats most likely the worst that happens.

If you connect it to the Internet to do streaming, it gets complicated due to a lot of reasons. Usually you have to pay for these streaming services which means, you have to connect an account with payment information. That is, where it gets complicated.

The best thing is to just not take the risk. Why would you not want updates? There is no reason to not want them. The only reason people say they don't need them and don't care is, because they can't have them. So if you have no choice anyway, you just give up and tell yourself "I don't need them" because the alternative would mean, don't buy that DAP. And if you wan't that DAP, there is nothing you can do.
Dear Vamp898 from distant Japan - you described this issue very well.
Unfortunately, from what I can see, there are only two of us who have a similar opinion on this thread
about the necessity and sense of using the latest versions of operating systems.

Apr 25, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #2,980 of 2,984
It is not that simple.

Can something like Bitdefender Mobile Security protect you? What is your opinion?

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #2,981 of 2,984
Unfortunately, from what I can see, there are only two of us who have a similar opinion on this thread about the necessity and sense of using the latest versions of operating systems.

I don’t concern myself with potential security risks on an Android DAP because in well over two decades of using various devices connected to the internet I have never had a security problem.

Maybe I am just lucky or maybe my being careful has helped but my perception of the level of importance of internet security on a DAP connected to two streaming services and essentially nothing else is formed by my past experience so no it isn’t an issue for me.

Maybe that is me burying my head in the sand but that is OK with me. I don’t buy particularly expensive DAPs and if a DAP becomes a paperweight due to a problem caused by an unsupported operating system I will rethink the gear I use as a source either with a DAP with a more up to date OS or swap to something different altogether, my iPad Mini is pretty handy for my typical use cases.

I find that a more satisfactory mindset for me than worrying about what OS my DAPs do or don’t have. Of course others mileage will vary and I have no argument with that. I just wanted to point out why some of us other folks don’t really care.

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #2,982 of 2,984
I don’t concern myself with potential security risks on an Android DAP because in well over two decades of using various devices connected to the internet I have never had a security problem.

Maybe I am just lucky or maybe my being careful has helped but my perception of the level of importance of internet security on a DAP connected to two streaming services and essentially nothing else is formed by my past experience so no it isn’t an issue for me.

Maybe that is me burying my head in the sand but that is OK with me. I don’t buy particularly expensive DAPs and if a DAP becomes a paperweight due to a problem caused by an unsupported operating system I will rethink the gear I use as a source either with a DAP with a more up to date OS or swap to something different altogether, my iPad Mini is pretty handy for my typical use cases.

I find that a more satisfactory mindset for me than worrying about what OS my DAPs do or don’t have. Of course others mileage will vary and I have no argument with that. I just wanted to point out why some of us other folks don’t really care.

By far, most security problems with Android are caused by side-loading "questionable" or "hacked" apks...

Apr 26, 2024 at 4:59 AM Post #2,983 of 2,984
Why are you lying again and avoiding a direct answer?
https://www.fiio.com/m11plusltd

By the way, Fiio M11 Plus LTD now plays DSD512 perfectly. Why can’t PCM 32/768, it’s unclear? Why you avoid answering my question is also not clear.
You could find the output sampling rate is not DSD512:
1714121933365.png

The M11PlusLTD could support DSD512 when using USB AUDIO output instead.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back