Does the source influence MD recording quality?
Oct 7, 2001 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Vertigo-1

Señor Sony
Just wondering if a better source = better MD recordings, using digital outputs. If so, then I'll take the time to rerecord my MDs once my...umm thing comes in, otherwise I'll leave my MDs alone.
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2001 at 2:05 PM Post #2 of 7
well, MD digi recordings......only deal with 0s and 1s. And....MDs resample, too, to counteract jitter. It SHOULDN'T make a difference. But I dunno.

(prays itn makes no difference because vij doesn't have vertigo's stuff/cash..........)

Oct 7, 2001 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 7
I was thinking about this too..
I guess a better transport will give a better digtal signal. But I doubt it would make a difference when recording to a portable MD. Just try it with one of your CD's and post your findings!

Oct 7, 2001 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 7
Well if you have a lousy CD player/DA converter as a source, then you get lousy MDs. Garbage in, garbage out. If you have a good sounding source, you get good sounding MDs.

Oct 7, 2001 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 7
if you record digitally, you don't use the DAC. so it comes down on the transport.

anyways, don't think differences will be big. you're still moving the sound around a lot, compressing, using not-so-hot headphones for reproduction.

Oct 8, 2001 at 6:28 AM Post #6 of 7
The only thing that can degrade the MD recording are read errors, which i'm sure are minimal--> non-existant after error correction.

Normally, factors like jitter and DAC quality are more important, but these are not important in MD recording. As coolvj said, all modern MDs (after '95 i think) use asyncronous sampling rate convertors that reclock all the sames with a new (hopefully "better") clock signal, so jitter from the original transport will not be recorded into the MD.

Oct 10, 2001 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 7
It seems to me that eliminating stages is always a good thing.Using a digatal output from the source componant means bypassing the DAC,analog filter stage and output section.Digital is digital so even an inexpensive CD player would have the potential to produce a signal as good as a higher priced model.
And bypassing the line in stage of the MD recorder could also prove beneficial. You would be going directly to the ADC .By my count we just bypassed four active stages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back