Does anyone have experience with CD repair kits?
Jul 2, 2001 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mcbiff

100+ Head-Fier
I have a CD that is one of a kind. But since I bought it used it hasn't been under my loving care all of its life and is therefore scratched. As a result of this the last track on the disc is full of pops and cracks when playing. I've ordered a CD repair kit that claims to be able to repair scratches and I was wondering if anyone has used one of these solutions before? If so, please share your experiences.

Jul 2, 2001 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 5
What one did you order? Unfortunately, I've not come across a good one yet!
confused.gif

Jul 2, 2001 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 5
For minor scratches, these kits do work well. They are actually abrasion kits that buff out the scratches in the plastic coating of the CD so that the scratches no longer affect the tracking of your CD's laser. You have to be careful not to buff off too much plastic, and they won't work on very deep scratches, but they will save some CDs.

Jul 3, 2001 at 4:49 AM Post #5 of 5
If the kits don't work, you could call around to local stores and look for one that refinishes cds. There was a store near me that did it, and I must tell you, it was well worth the couple boucks they charged.

If the person at the store says they don't do that, ask them if they know of a place that does, many of the clerks at local audio stores are into music too and should help you out.

I've only had experience with one cd-thingy, the skipdoctor or something like that. It works, but I wouldn't trust it with my cds (I used it on an old cd-rom).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back