Do I listen to friggin' loud? Do you listen too loud? Why not measure it?
Nov 1, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #16 of 20
I usually listen to modern pop / rock recordings at a level equivalent to 70 dB SPL with pink noise and C weighting / slow on the Radio Shack meter. Jazz / soundtracks / some classical usually equivalent to 74 dB SPL, and most classical equivalent to 80 dB SPL. Higher volume levels than normal result in fatigue / irritation before the album is done.

Nov 4, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #17 of 20
  With a leaky coupling, it was indeed lower, by about 0.3dB on my coupling
Doesn't ADEL lower SPL for the same perceived volume? I thought that was the principle of the technology.

It allows you to listen to a level of sound where the acoustic reflex won't be triggered too early - eliminates some of the pressure, so what you hear sounds a lot more natural.  I've used another IEM for today.

It's early morning (when I wrote this originally)  - just me and Mathew up - girls still in bed.  House is pretty quiet, but the Earsonics ES2 are fantastic isolaters.  Can't hear the keyboard as I type - and this is with no music playing.  My tinnitus is acting up a little this morning - it's audible - but not overly excessive.

So earphones = ES2 (high isolation)
DAP = FiiO X1ii
SPL meter is using A-weighted

1. First track is "Green Lights" from Sarah Jarosz album Undercurrent - comfortable listening level for me seems to be about 17/100 => seems to be averaging around 65 dB for me.  Peak is at 72.2 dB

2. Next track is "Sultans of Swing" - same volume level, again average seems to be around 65 dB.  Peak is 71.1 dB.

3. Third track is Feist's "The Bad In Each other" - volume now at 20/100.  This track has some dynamic bass thump. Average is now closer to around 68/69 dB - peak at 74.9 dB

Above could change if I was in a high noise environment - but should give an idea of my normal listening level anyway.

Nov 4, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #18 of 20
Noise floor at time of testing was ~38dB. Meter was sealed between earpads and results were recorded using A-weighting.
Max: 54.58 dB
Mean: 48.84 dB

Max: 81.1 dB
Mean: 54.73 dB

Max: 73.89 dB
Mean: 61.57 dB

Nov 9, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #19 of 20
Noise floor at time of testing was ~38dB. Meter was sealed between earpads and results were recorded using A-weighting.

Max: 54.58 dB
Mean: 48.84 dB

Max: 81.1 dB
Mean: 54.73 dB

Max: 73.89 dB
Mean: 61.57 dB

Thanks for sharing such detailed measurements. I lived in Yorkshire for 2.5 years. I need to make a visit up there in the not too distant future.

Mar 6, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #20 of 20
Damn you guys listen to your phones on low, I do 85db average with around 92 peaks (rarley listen below 70db), these aren't high dynamic range songs. You can listen to 85db constant for 8 hours a day, at 85db it is way way lower than what is being played at concerts. That's why you get nice headphones and amps so you can listen to them at real life volumes without distortion. No need to worry that much guys, you can pump it higher lol
edit: your hearing is gonna go at some point anyway, might as well have fun while you can hear everything :wink:
I played Blue Hawaii by Elvis through the whole album at 100db average and enjoyed every minute of it, and it's still not even close to clubs and concerts.
For youtube I usually listen at 50db.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back