dCS Bartok
May 4, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #2,041 of 2,050
My dealer recommends the Mutec REF10 SE 120 clock. He also claims that the Rosinii clock is worse and more expensive than Mutec. The dealer, as the owner of the Bartók, does not intend to update it to APEX. If he is thinking about changing, switch to Rossini APEX and then it may be better.

I've studied this whole thread and I know that some of you haven't heard Rossini clock with Bartók. That this clock was created specifically for Rossini DAC and it does a good job there. The advantage of the Rossini clock is the fact that it is almost maintenance-free and requires only one power cable. This is quite important to me.

My second dealer tells me not to spend money on any watch other than the rubidium clock from Esoteric. The price of these higher model watches is quite high.
Can you even use a 10Mhz clock?

The clock inputs on the dCS DACs are word clock inputs (usually 22.579Mhz and 24.576Mhz) are they not? Not 10Mhz

May 4, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #2,042 of 2,050
Can you even use a 10Mhz clock?

The clock inputs on the dCS DACs are word clock inputs (usually 22.579Mhz and 24.576Mhz) are they not? Not 10Mhz
Yes, I understand dCS only accepts word clock, you need both clocks hooked up otherwise you get an error message. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I played around with them but don’t own dCS.

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #2,043 of 2,050
Yes, I understand dCS only accepts word clock, you need both clocks hooked up otherwise you get an error message. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I played around with them but don’t own dCS.
I'm confused though, how is the 10Mhz clock implemented/used in this sort of setup if the DAC doesn't accept 10Mhz

May 4, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #2,044 of 2,050
I'm confused though, how is the 10Mhz clock implemented/used in this sort of setup if the DAC doesn't accept 10Mhz
I think we are in agreement. I don’t think dCS can use 10mhz clock. You need a clock that can output both 44.1 and 48 clocks at the same time.

I honestly have never ever seen dCS paired with non dCS clock at any dCS dealer or any show.

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #2,046 of 2,050
DCS Vivaldi is the only DCS dac that can use the mutec Ref 10 clock
It’s a clock for the clock and not a 10mhz clock for the dac, correct? Man we are getting into the weeds here.

My point was that the supposed “dCS dealer” who claimed to use a 10mhz clock with Bartok (pre APEX) was full of 💩

May 5, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #2,047 of 2,050
20240423_213724.jpg

I am using my Bartok 2.0 with Denafrips Terra World Clock with excellent result. Terra can output a 44.1K and 48K signal at the same time.
Screenshot_20240501_002846.jpg

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #2,048 of 2,050
I can add that the Grimm MU1 sounds wonderful with the Bartók clocking via AES.

May 7, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #2,049 of 2,050
My dealer recommends the Mutec REF10 SE 120 clock. He also claims that the Rosinii clock is worse and more expensive than Mutec. The dealer, as the owner of the Bartók, does not intend to update it to APEX. If he is thinking about changing, switch to Rossini APEX and then it may be better.

I've studied this whole thread and I know that some of you haven't heard Rossini clock with Bartók. That this clock was created specifically for Rossini DAC and it does a good job there. The advantage of the Rossini clock is the fact that it is almost maintenance-free and requires only one power cable. This is quite important to me.

My second dealer tells me not to spend money on any watch other than the rubidium clock from Esoteric. The price of these higher model watches is quite high.
I have got the Ref10, not the SE but you cannot connect it directly to the Bartok. I have 2 other Mutec MC3+ connected to the ref10 and have the word clock outputs of the MC3+ connected to the Bartok. You will need 2 MC3+, one unit clocking 44khz samples and another clocking 48khz samples.

I have never tried the rossini clock but since I already have a Ref10 and MC3+ from the Dave setup, all I needed was to add another MC3+ and I was able to clock the Bartok nicely.

Now, with and without the clocking setup, I could clearly hear differences. The Bartok on its own was very very good but activating the clock made the sound very much more focused compared to without as if another layer of haze was removed. Don’t bother asking me about the science as I love to experiment and trust my ears more :wink:

Frankly quite amazed a very good Dac like the Bartok could be further improved with external clocks.

May 7, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #2,050 of 2,050
I have got the Ref10, not the SE but you cannot connect it directly to the Bartok. I have 2 other Mutec MC3+ connected to the ref10 and have the word clock outputs of the MC3+ connected to the Bartok. You will need 2 MC3+, one unit clocking 44khz samples and another clocking 48khz samples.

I have never tried the rossini clock but since I already have a Ref10 and MC3+ from the Dave setup, all I needed was to add another MC3+ and I was able to clock the Bartok nicely.

Now, with and without the clocking setup, I could clearly hear differences. The Bartok on its own was very very good but activating the clock made the sound very much more focused compared to without as if another layer of haze was removed. Don’t bother asking me about the science as I love to experiment and trust my ears more :wink:

Frankly quite amazed a very good Dac like the Bartok could be further improved with external clocks.
I know people who connected Rossini DACs to Ref10 and MC3+. Maybe I'll meet someone who directly tested Ref10 SE 120 and MC3+ vs Rossini clock. Now these two clocks are on my list.

Apparently Ref10 SE 120 and MC3+ is in the same league as Vivaldi clock, but at half the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back