Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
May 5, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #1,906 of 1,910
For all those that are writing the Lirics off then they must all have had good auditions with them. Otherwise they are just blowing smoke. On another forum I posted that I was having the Lirics at home on audition after failing to get the E3s. One reply said that the E3 would wipe the floor with them. Judging by the remark I questioned the poster about his E3s. He didn't have a pair but did have the Aeons.
This could be me, having auditoned E3 extensively (~two weeks) at home and at the dealer and having auditioned Liric II’s at the dealer. I still own Aeon 2 Noire’s but E3’s are on the shopping list.

Simply said, E3’s have a high vow-factor and they do things I’ve never heard headphones doing before. From the first listen I knew they were something special. The space, extension, bass slam and reach etc. Like chesebert said, they need a proper amplification to shine. I drove them with Violectric V226 and they slam very hard with this amp. With FiiO K7, they sound less special (though still very good).

With Liric 2 I spent a lot less time. The reason being that they simply didn’t hook me up with their sound. They were more ordinary sounding headphones and lacked the vow-factor (after knowing what the E3’s can do). I drove them with Violectric also. IMO they can’t challenge E3’s and are closer to the Aeon 2 Noire’s in sound quality.

May 5, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #1,907 of 1,910
This could be me, having auditoned E3 extensively (~two weeks) at home and at the dealer and having auditioned Liric II’s at the dealer. I still own Aeon 2 Noire’s but E3’s are on the shopping list.

Simply said, E3’s have a high vow-factor and they do things I’ve never heard headphones doing before. From the first listen I knew they were something special. The space, extension, bass slam and reach etc. Like chesebert said, they need a proper amplification to shine. I drove them with Violectric V226 and they slam very hard with this amp. With FiiO K7, they sound less special (though still very good).

With Liric 2 I spent a lot less time. The reason being that they simply didn’t hook me up with their sound. They were more ordinary sounding headphones and lacked the vow-factor (after knowing what the E3’s can do). I drove them with Violectric also. IMO they can’t challenge E3’s and are closer to the Aeon 2 Noire’s in sound quality.
Could be. At least you've listened to both. I've got over 50 hours now on my Lirics as well as the audition pair and they have opened up considerably. From what I remember of the Ethers the mids and mid bass are far better on the Liric. The Ethers were not as good as my Denons to be honest, different certainly which was what I was originally looking for, even with the Lirics.

Came close to ordering the Aeons early last year but just couldn't find a dealer near enough to me and was looking at a time when there was a lack of units being delivered. If you consider the Liric to be only as good as the Aeons then I have truly wasted my money.

I found the Ethers somewhat bland at least the Lirics get my foot tapping. I've just had another couple of hours with the Lirics and even Adele sounds fairly good on them even though the album's clipping is obvious.

May 6, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #1,908 of 1,910
I just ordered the E3's from Crutchfield and they should be here by Wednesday. I am currently using Denon AH-D9200's for the past 2 years and I still enjoy them. However, I am always looking for the next best thing. Since open back headphones are a no go due to the wife of over 37 years of marriage could hear the music when I was listening to my Senn HD650's.

I wish I could listen to the E3's but I know of no place in Southern California that has them available for an audition. Funny thing is I live 30 minutes away from Dan Clark Audio in San Diego and from my understanding they do not have a store front for customers to listen to their headphones. That is the one thing I like about Schiit, I was able to go to their store front in SOCAL and listen to their products. Crutchfield has a great return policy and the support staff is top notch, I also purchased my Denon 9200's from them.

My current system setup is as follows:

DAC: Schiit Ygggdrasil+ OG
Amps: Schiit Folkvangr, Schiit Mjolnir 3,
EQ: Schiit Lokius
Source: Apple Mac Mini M2 Pro
IMG_8054.jpg

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #1,910 of 1,910
I wish I could listen to the E3's but I know of no place in Southern California that has them available for an audition.
The Source AV in Torrance is a great place to audition headphones! They carry the full DCA range, as well as Focal, STAX, Meze, and several other brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back