CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Apr 13, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #2,386 of 2,400
Would be interesting to hear Antipodes comment to these modifications...

Apr 15, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #2,388 of 2,400
Would anyone have experience with a k30 and using hqplayer to up sample to Dsd? Could you share how far you could push it?
I could only get to DSD256 with one of the less CPU intensive modulators. I don’t recall how I made it work. It was with HQPlayer 4. This far HQPlayer 5 is more CPU intensive.

Apr 15, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #2,389 of 2,400
Thankyou.

My unit has been upgraded earlier this year but I don't know how much extra or processing power it has.

Do we know if it's possible to plug something like a Mac mini into the streamer network port on the k series and run HQ player from there rather than plug it in downstream?

Apr 15, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #2,390 of 2,400
Do we know if it's possible to plug something like a Mac mini into the streamer network port on the k series and run HQ player from there rather than plug it in downstream?
You could have the Mac mini anywhere on your network. HQPlayer Desktop can be configured to use the NAA running on the K30.

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #2,391 of 2,400
Some may already be doing this but thought I would put this out there to help others.
Anyone with the CX/EX combo on the EX the non powered USB output if you use a dual headed usb cable you can pull the power from the Black audio USB powered output port that has very clean power on the CX, so you now have two powered Black Audio usb outputs on the EX player. Very handy. I connected the one EX USB powered output to DI-24HE/MSclaer/Dave, the other EX USB that's now powered goes to SRC-DX/Dave for direct connection to Dave's second BNC inputs for full upsample using HQPlayer/PGGB. Considering a USB Reclocker before the SRC-DX/Dave but not the Phoenix USB I have a couple of much cheaper alternatives that are highly rated, so will see if any further improvements are to be made. I am happy with my MScaler/Dave setup now I have the DI-24HE in place so these other tweeks are mainly for using HQPlayer/PGGB full upsample direct to Dave.

Dual head USB cable.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #2,393 of 2,400
New K22 owner here. Got it set up and running yesterday. Need to go through all the menus to figure out what I should change or set up. For some some crazy reason I thought that it came with an SSD, and so I just ordered a Samsung PM893 SSD. It seems that this is the go to SSD.
Ken are you still doing the quitting hobby then re entering hobby cycle?

I think by now we can both just assume we are life long music lovers and the hobby chose us.

Apr 19, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #2,394 of 2,400
Ken are you still doing the quitting hobby then re entering hobby cycle?

I think by now we can both just assume we are life long music lovers and the hobby chose us.
Hey Frank,
I was glad to see your post. I’ve quit and gone back so many times I can’t keep track. It’s like that line from the Sopranos. Every time I go out, they keep dragging me back. 😃

I think the 1266 TC was a big part of my headphone hobby. I had it for about two years and built a great system around it, but eventually, I got tired of the lacking mid range and unforgiving highs. Once I sold it, I could never find a headphone to keep me in the hobby. It’s tough to duplicate that bass and soundstage. I went to speakers for a while, and headphones kept calling me back.

So now my go to headphone is the d8000. Gives me pretty much the same bass as the TC, better tonality, but unfortunately not the same soundstage.

Just replaced my NUC with an LPS using Euphony software for the K22. I used to have a DX3 a few years ago and appearance alone. It looks like it went from a Toyota to Mercedes.

How are you doing?

Apr 19, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #2,395 of 2,400
Hey Frank,
I was glad to see your post. I’ve quit and gone back so many times I can’t keep track. It’s like that line from the Sopranos. Every time I go out, they keep dragging me back. 😃

I think the 1266 TC was a big part of my headphone hobby. I had it for about two years and built a great system around it, but eventually, I got tired of the lacking mid range and unforgiving highs. Once I sold it, I could never find a headphone to keep me in the hobby. It’s tough to duplicate that bass and soundstage. I went to speakers for a while, and headphones kept calling me back.

So now my go to headphone is the d8000. Gives me pretty much the same bass as the TC, better tonality, but unfortunately not the same soundstage.

Just replaced my NUC with an LPS using Euphony software for the K22. I used to have a DX3 a few years ago and appearance alone. It looks like it went from a Toyota to Mercedes.

How are you doing?
I am good. Similar to you TC was what got me engaged in the hobby as I mentioned to you before. After I continued to upgrade electronics for the TC, swapping in speakers was extremely easy. Ever since going 2 channel, never looked back as I enjoy it much much more than headphones. These days I own the Focal Utopia not because it is my favorite headphone, but more so because I can drive it reasonably OK with a DAP for portable use.

Glad to see you around. :)

Apr 27, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #2,396 of 2,400
I am considering an antipodes streamer. It would replace my Auralic streamer. Roon rock runs on an Intel NUC. I would like to hear your thoughts on my mental predicament I have with owning an server/streamer all in one.
I like to use ARC on holidays, and my kids use an iPad as a Roon endpoint to listen to their stuff. So my NUC runs 24/7. if I used a K50 or Oladra I would have to keep it on all the time right?Also, Roon recommends keeping streamer and core separate.
Would you say that there are sonic benefits to have server and streamer integrated?
Alternatively I could swing for the K22 and use it as a streamer, and keep my NUC with rock.
Thanks for your thought.

Apr 27, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #2,397 of 2,400
I got my K22 last week and I’ve had many components over the years and this is one of the few components that I am so completely satisfied. The sound quality is amazing.

Usually, you leave all components on. You can put it in standby if you like.

Comparing the K22 to what you’re currently using, it will be such an upgrade in sound quality, even having everything on one device

With that said are you locked into Roon? Personally, I don’t think it sounds that great in comparison to running Squeeze. Actually
I don’t think Roon sounds as good as anything else I have run on any other streamer ever. The interface is nice, but I buy a component for sound, and not the interface.

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #2,398 of 2,400
I got my K22 last week and I’ve had many components over the years and this is one of the few components that I am so completely satisfied. The sound quality is amazing.

Usually, you leave all components on. You can put it in standby if you like.

Comparing the K22 to what you’re currently using, it will be such an upgrade in sound quality, even having everything on one device

With that said are you locked into Roon? Personally, I don’t think it sounds that great in comparison to running Squeeze. Actually
I don’t think Roon sounds as good as anything else I have run on any other streamer ever. The interface is nice, but I buy a component for sound, and not the interface.
I feel in the current build of roon (since they optimized for speed) there has been an uptick in sound. It is closing in on squeeze but it’s gui and online integration is still miles ahead of material. Squeeze is still the choice fir a critical listening session.

Apr 27, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #2,400 of 2,400
Yes, I like to use Roon and don’t consider alternatives. It’s great to hear you like the K22. It seems like a sweetspot in the lineup. I will consider a home demo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back