Connecting computer to external DAC?
Sep 24, 2001 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Number9

100+ Head-Fier
I've given some thought to connecting my computer to an external DAC - but I'm not sure how to do it.

I know that there are some DAC's that connect via USB (Stereolink, Onkyo, and forthcoming Wheatfield). But I don't want to use those DAC's - looking to use something better such as an MSB.

Do you need a special card? How does the computer recognize the external DAC for DSP processing?

Sep 24, 2001 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 11
First off, DSP stands for Digital Signal Processing. So DSP processing is a tautology.
tongue.gif

But seriously, if your soundcard has a digital output, you can connect your computer to an external DAC. The digital signal is passed through the card and out into the digital output.

There can be complications, however, if your soundcard can't handle higher-resolution signals (like the audio on standard DVDs, which is a 24-bit 96-kHz signal) or if your soundcard resamples the signal (e.g. sending a CD's 16/44.1 signal as a 16/48 signal). You generally need to get a higher-end soundcard to send information cleanly to an external DAC.

Another solution might be to purchase the Xitel MD-Port DG1 or DG2. These units are little boxes that connect to your computer's USB port and have a TOSlink optical digital output on the other end. The only problem is that optical digital connections are often inferior to coaxial connections (due to complications with perfect signal transmission within the optical cable), but it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Sep 25, 2001 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 11
I believe that if there's something plugged into your soundcard or USB port, you can choose to use it as your audio device. For example, the Xitel MD-Port DG1 (which I used to have) is listed as "USB Audio Device" in the applicable control panel. I suppose you would choose a similar option when plugging directly into a soundcard.

Sep 25, 2001 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 11
It depends on the sound card...

I have had good luck with my Audiophile 24/96 with a MSB DAC... worked just great... everything recognized properly and worked tip top... thats all to say really...

Sep 25, 2001 at 12:55 AM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for the info. I was not aware of the DG-1 before. I did a Google Search and found this review which provides a pretty good explanation ...
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...iews/xiteldg1/

The lack of coax may not necessarily be a drawback. You can possibly connect a Monarchy Audio DIP to it, which accepts optical in and coax out while reducing jitter in the process. This should then provide a good interface to an MSB Link or simaler.

The Audiophile 24/96 is something I had considered at one time, but just as a computer soundcard, not as a passthrough. However, most comments that I've read seem to indicate that an external DAC is better than beefy soundcard. There are exceptions of course such as the ART DI/O which I am not sure whose opinions to trust on that.

Sep 25, 2001 at 6:45 PM Post #8 of 11
I'm not sure, but I can list some for you. The MidiMan/M-Audio DiO 2496 card has optical and coaxial outs, my Guillemot Hercules Game Theater XP has optical and coaxial ins and outs, and the Soundblaster Live Platinum does too, I believe. The Hercules and Soundblaster resample digital output signals, however, so if you're using this with an external DAC I'd suggest getting the MidiMan card. I think it doesn't supports lots of game noises, though.

Sep 26, 2001 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

There are exceptions of course such as the ART DI/O which I am not sure whose opinions to trust on that.

Trust me. The ART DI/O is one amazing piece of consumer level audio equipment. True, poor build, poor functionality (the jacks look like they are worth 10 cents each and the switching is a little flaky) and other annoying little QC issues... but damn... the thing sounds amazing. In fact I favored it over my MSB Link DAC.

I think a power supply upgrade is a necessety for the ART DI/O, which I shall do soon...

Sep 26, 2001 at 4:14 PM Post #10 of 11
Chych ...

So if I understand your configuation correctly, you have an Audiophile 24/96 card in your computer that you have hooded up to the ART DI/O externally? (via coax I guess?).

How does the sound compare when running audio into the Audiophile 24/96 only vs. passing it along to the ART DI/O? Is there a big difference (improvement)?

Thanks

Sep 26, 2001 at 4:23 PM Post #11 of 11
chych, when can we expect an actual review of your DI/O? And I still want to know if you found any sonic differences between your CD-ROM drive transport and standalone transport...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back