Cheap and cheerful cable-down IEMs
Jun 23, 2022 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bemymonkey

Head-Fier
Hi everyone! I'm looking for some cable-down IEMs for stationary (mostly at my desk or on the train) use. I have a bunch of over-the-ear type IEMs (SE215, SE535, lots of CCA and KZ sets like the C12 or ZS10 Pro, Audiosense T180 & T300) that I quite like, but the cable over the ear feels a bit annoying after a few hours at the desk - also, removing them when a colleague wants to ask a question is a pain.

What I really want is a cable-down equivalent of the CCA C12 or the Audiosense T300. Or, even better, my SRH840 full-size cans :p. I like a nice V and I'm not afraid to EQ. Dynamic, BA, hybrid - I really don't care :)

Absolute price limit is about $50-100 for Chi-Fi, $200 for something I can order online domestically (Germany) with a return policy.

Any recommendations? As stated in the title, I'm perfectly fine with cheap-and-cheerful. I still have two pairs of Logitech UE200, which are a $10 headphone IIRC and sound surprisingly decent, but they're kinda falling apart.

Jun 26, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #8 of 9
I looked at my ER3XR manual, and yes, there is an earwax filter and the package includes an extra pair, so it is a replaceable thing. But if you have an earwax problem, you're going to have it with any IEM. Ety is upfront about coping with it. Mine (had to look) are completely unobstructed after many, many hours of use.

The deep insertion question is different for everyone individually. For all the complaints, Etymotic has been in business a very long time with that design, which has to tell you something.

If you do try Etys, start with the foams, not the flanges -- you squeeze them and let them expand once once they're in, so there's no irritation. Hard to beat the isolation and analytical clarity.

Another legit MH750 seller is spassear, who is in the US. But $15 + shipping to Europe probably doesn't make sense when there are IEMs in the $20-$50 zone that are probably just as good, like the lower-priced Finals. Spassear: https://www.ebay.com/itm/352537526219

Wouldn't hurt to message the $6.50 Chinese MH750 seller directly either...you never know.
Forget about anything on AliExpress, and probably most of the ones on Ebay too. I especially love the ones that don't even show the same buds and white out the model number on the tag.
(Buyer beware:) https://www.ebay.com/itm/374102711106

May 8, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #9 of 9
Good market in Japan for cable down IEMs. My best find so far has maybe been the Ashidavox HF-EA1: single large DD with, apart from weighty and well extended bass, nice detail, nice airy treble, natural timbre, good seperation and space. There's an upgraded version too, which I haven't tried yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back