Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Apr 8, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #3,661 of 3,665
Is the RU6 a good match with a monarch mk2?

I did read some post earlier in this thread about it getting bass heavy, I just cancelled my order for the RU6 but I've got a bit of time till they act on it. I really liked the idea of a unique analog take with old DAC tech, some of the old pro gear sounded great due to this stuff. But After spending about 8 hours with the new MK2 via my RME babyface pro directly it sounded great, better than the Lehmann BCL which I thought was sounding a bit dull, odd because I thought it was a bright amp on its higher voltage settings. the MK2s love the RME for my ears. Though on the other hand I like that I read the RU6 has a tad bit of mid boost, but I'm worried this MK2 thing is near perfect and that it'll upset the apple cart.
I haven’t heard the Mk2, but with the Mk3 I think the RU6 is much more enjoyable than more “analytical” dongles like the THX Onyx, so I couldn’t recommend it enough.

Apr 8, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #3,662 of 3,665
If you are happy with the thing you have, and don't mind carrying it around, then save your money for the music.

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #3,663 of 3,665
I haven’t heard the Mk2, but with the Mk3 I think the RU6 is much more enjoyable than more “analytical” dongles like the THX Onyx, so I couldn’t recommend it enough.
From what I understand the MK3 is on the brighter side so I'm assuming some roll back is a good flavour perhaps.
If you are happy with the thing you have, and don't mind carrying it around, then save your money for the music.
Desktop I'm done, I need something for on the go. The last cog, but you make a good point, we sometimes we forget what all this is about. Truth be told these MK2 have taken be back to music, this kind of tonality and presentation is alien to me. I'm not even 24h into this experience, the HD800 I've been using so far is nowhere near to the tonality. My humble Rokit 5 KRKs are much better in that department but the Monarch MK2 is on another level, yes honeymoon but I don't think I'm overreacting :)

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #3,664 of 3,665
I've had the RU6 since it first came out. With my Xiaomi phone there was so much noise it was unusable. Same with an older Sony phone, so I stuck with my DAPs. Just picked up a Google Pixel phone and got the dust gathering Cayin out of the drawer......wow quite taken aback, no noise and a clean as a whistle, musical treat. Great synergy. A really nice surprise. Lovely dongle and now I know what all the fuss was about. With the Penon Fan 2 and the ISN Neo 3 it sounds great. Strangely with my favourite....the Penon 10th anniversary, it sounds quite thin. We know what synergy can do and what can happen when synergy is missing.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #3,665 of 3,665
I've had the RU6 since it first came out. With my Xiaomi phone there was so much noise it was unusable. Same with an older Sony phone, so I stuck with my DAPs. Just picked up a Google Pixel phone and got the dust gathering Cayin out of the drawer......wow quite taken aback, no noise and a clean as a whistle, musical treat. Great synergy. A really nice surprise. Lovely dongle and now I know what all the fuss was about. With the Penon Fan 2 and the ISN Neo 3 it sounds great. Strangely with my favourite....the Penon 10th anniversary, it sounds quite thin. We know what synergy can do and what can happen when synergy is missing.
RU6 is such a sensitive little buddy that different cables have different noise profiles. Even passive usb filtering like AudioQuest FMJ helps to make it sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back