Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
May 8, 2024 at 2:49 AM Post #2,206 of 2,220
I just stumbled across a pristine pair on eBay by chance. I would contact the regular tube sellers online and check availability. Perhaps you could try other E80CCs to start with; their main characteristics should be the same with smaller differences. (At least this is what I read but can't confirm from first hand yet.)

It is true, that the DAC seems to make a bigger difference with the MJ3, but all amps are quite strongly influenced by DACs in the end. I have never tried the Yggy, but the Cyan 2 is by far the best sounding DAC (to me subjectively) that I have owned. And I used to own a few including Chord TT2, Pegasus, Soekris 2541, Qutest, RME ADI2 and so on.
The Cyan 2, while it offers the beautiful and lifelike rendering of R2R architecture, is also highly dynamic, punchy, alive with good slam and plenty of details. Excellent DAC with strong party vibes! :)

Btw, thank you all guys for the positive posts! :)
The Holo DAC’s are great, I have the Spring 3 & it appears to work well with the Cayin I preferred it to theTT2 I borrowed.

Has anyone had any experience with Siemens E82CC, Langrex have matched pairs available, tempted to try some.

May 8, 2024 at 2:51 AM Post #2,207 of 2,220
I just stumbled across a pristine pair on eBay by chance. I would contact the regular tube sellers online and check availability. Perhaps you could try other E80CCs to start with; their main characteristics should be the same with smaller differences. (At least this is what I read but can't confirm from first hand yet.)

It is true, that the DAC seems to make a bigger difference with the MJ3, but all amps are quite strongly influenced by DACs in the end. I have never tried the Yggy, but the Cyan 2 is by far the best sounding DAC (to me subjectively) that I have owned. And I used to own a few including Chord TT2, Pegasus, Soekris 2541, Qutest, RME ADI2 and so on.
The Cyan 2, while it offers the beautiful and lifelike rendering of R2R architecture, is also highly dynamic, punchy, alive with good slam and plenty of details. Excellent DAC with strong party vibes! :)

The Holo DAC’s are great, I have the Spring 3 & it appears to work well with the Cayin I preferred it to theTT2 I borrowed.

Has anyone had any experience with Siemens E82CC, Langrex have matched pairs available, tempted to try some.

May 8, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #2,208 of 2,220
Hey after trying to get things sorted with my Cayin ha-3a. I've literally tried everything to cancel out the noise coming from my headphones.
I bought another cayin ha-3a from the same company i bought my old one at. SON-VIDEO in France. It was dead quiet. No noise at all. So i contacted them for a warranty claim or whatever, or keeping the new one, sending the old one back and they could maybe see if it was damaged so i could keep the new one. But 10 days later not a single reply, for other questions i always have an answer in 3 to 4 hours. My question to any of you , has anyone opened a cayin ha-3a?? Maybe it's something loose or something touching that shouldnt touch.
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

May 8, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #2,209 of 2,220
I just receive 2 pairs of tubes in the mail: Phillips E80CC and Siemens E80CC. They look identicals to my untrained eyes and, for now they are too cold to be try. The E82CC seem to be a different, shorter tube.
https://upscaleaudio.com/products/philips-ecc82-12au7-vintage-new-old-stock
20240508_101236.jpg

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #2,210 of 2,220
May 8, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #2,211 of 2,220
Honeypot

I like to have the cage on my amp when not using (never know who or if I may bump it) to protect the tubes and often do run it with the cage on, as yes it does help with RF interference. I do run it off as I have a shield for the only thing that when turned on (a wireless headset) can add a rhythmic buzzing with certain tubes. Else where I have my amp as well as power isolation its dead quiet.

Early on in this forum several mentioned this part you can buy allows you to use the tube cage with the taller tubes
I too use the 6v6G ST type tubes, and have used speaker wire banana plugs (take out the middle screw and connector for the wire) and leave them in the holes on the amp
I then can place the cage on the banana plugs and can easily remove and replace cage at will.

1715111355382.png
Amazon in the US had a great choice of barrel colors, styles and a wide range of prices

This has worked for me since I got the amp but I can't take credit for this, as it was mentioned very early in this forums threads
Here are close up pictures of the cage sitting on the banana plugs and clearing the taller 6v6G ST tubes
1715111459528.png 1715111523340.png

Hope this helps
Very nice idea! I used something similar, but that looks better 😁

May 8, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #2,212 of 2,220

Subjective opinions are most important, so im glad you are able to enjoy the cyan 2 over something like a TT2. It is also true that dacs influence amps on all levels, but the MJ3 has to be the most honest sounding amp i've come across so far. I think a huge part of the fun with it is changing parts in a chain and truly hearing the difference. Hence its amazing ability to scale. I've always been interested in amps more than dacs, the MJ3 has me feeling the exact opposite lol Im planning for an yggy as soon as the MJ3 is payed off. August couldn't come any sooner.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #2,214 of 2,220
Hey after trying to get things sorted with my Cayin ha-3a. I've literally tried everything to cancel out the noise coming from my headphones.
I bought another cayin ha-3a from the same company i bought my old one at. SON-VIDEO in France. It was dead quiet. No noise at all. So i contacted them for a warranty claim or whatever, or keeping the new one, sending the old one back and they could maybe see if it was damaged so i could keep the new one. But 10 days later not a single reply, for other questions i always have an answer in 3 to 4 hours. My question to any of you , has anyone opened a cayin ha-3a?? Maybe it's something loose or something touching that shouldnt touch.
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
It’s good that you have got an amp that is no longer noisy, I hope you get it replaced under warranty. It is very frustrating when you get no response or slow replies from dealers. My first amp was faulty, took a while to resolve the problem, ended up with a new amp. I did email Cayin customer service a couple of times, no response which was disappointing, my dealer was helpful in the end & supplied a replacement. Hope you manage to get a response soon.

May 8, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #2,218 of 2,220
It’s good that you have got an amp that is no longer noisy, I hope you get it replaced under warranty. It is very frustrating when you get no response or slow replies from dealers. My first amp was faulty, took a while to resolve the problem, ended up with a new amp. I did email Cayin customer service a couple of times, no response which was disappointing, my dealer was helpful in the end & supplied a replacement. Hope you manage to get a response soon.
Hi Mudguardian, I’m glad you were able to obtain a satisfactory resolution. As consumers of audiophile equipment, which can be very expensive, good customer service and standing by what you sell should be the purveyor’s motto.

May 9, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #2,219 of 2,220
Hi Mudguardian, I’m glad you were able to obtain a satisfactory resolution. As consumers of audiophile equipment, which can be very expensive, good customer service and standing by what you sell should be the purveyor’s motto.
Generally I have found that customer service in the audio industry is very good. I use my system as a form of therapy almost. After a stressful day I find listening to a couple of hours of music can completely change my mood. The Cayin is the best amp I have tried so far that connects me emotionally to the music. I have never been overly concerned about technicalities of my equipment but rather how it connects me emotionally to the music. It may not be important in the big scheme of things but if my system fails for any reason I get very grumpy quickly & impatient to get it fixed, then I really appreciate quick customer service.

May 9, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #2,220 of 2,220
Mudguardiain....couldn't agree more about being a form of therapy.I see my Cayin as not just a amp but a musical instrument .If I don't have that type of connection its not making me happy with what its reproducing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back