Campfire Chat - Official Campfire Audio 2024 Thread!
May 8, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #1,141 of 1,151
Thank you for the quick reply!
It seems that I can't find much information about this DAP but my goodness, how cool and retro it looks!
I am using the Sony ZX300 with my 2019 Andros and it was always a great match based on what you can find in different forums but you can still hear a faint hiss with either the 3.5 or 4.4mm. So I am guessing it will be even more so with the Ara.
The Ara are quite cheap in my country ( Japan ), you can find them "almost new" for less than 500$ so I am kind of considering them as well...
Of course! I have spent a long time with that dap and the ara. feel free to DM me.
I LOVE that DAP. It is retro and cool - but smooth in functionality.
I have difficulty with attention span and some electronics, so it is really nice for me and assists me bein the present person I want to be, while enjoying my tunes :wink:
It will drive the ara's at insane gain levels with no fuzz, It will push them farther than i can take them, volume wise, and that is too far. But tasty 🤤

Where are there 500$ ara's 👀
alot of people ditched them, they're different. for general listening your brain feels like it just got done doing hours of calculus. Some of us are into that. But switching from the Ara to the Singularity - the singularity is like balm on the ears.

It has it's place - solo/ duo instruments are INSANE on the Ara, especially those that cross octaves, and are bowed.
If you mixed it on the Ara, it would sound like hot fire on the Singularity.

Just my take on why they are out there like that. It is an easy IEM to become disatisfied with, and it is not an only IEM - it is the Ara, take it or leave it.

Any update or ETA please Chris?

I really dont need it, but ive wanted a mammoth since they came out

May 8, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #1,142 of 1,151
Thank you for the quick reply!
It seems that I can't find much information about this DAP but my goodness, how cool and retro it looks!
I am using the Sony ZX300 with my 2019 Andros and it was always a great match based on what you can find in different forums but you can still hear a faint hiss with either the 3.5 or 4.4mm. So I am guessing it will be even more so with the Ara.
The Ara are quite cheap in my country ( Japan ), you can find them "almost new" for less than 500$ so I am kind of considering them as well...
also to say I am working on a review for both that dap and the ara, at the same time.
I am traveling for work currently and am new to reviewing but enjoying writing to music. So Hopefully the end of this month, but happy to chat :)

May 8, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #1,143 of 1,151
Of course! I have spent a long time with that dap and the ara. feel free to DM me.
I LOVE that DAP. It is retro and cool - but smooth in functionality.
I have difficulty with attention span and some electronics, so it is really nice for me and assists me bein the present person I want to be, while enjoying my tunes :wink:
It will drive the ara's at insane gain levels with no fuzz, It will push them farther than i can take them, volume wise, and that is too far. But tasty 🤤

alot of people ditched them, they're different. for general listening your brain feels like it just got done doing hours of calculus. Some of us are into that. But switching from the Ara to the Singularity - the singularity is like balm on the ears.

It has it's place - solo/ duo instruments are INSANE on the Ara, especially those that cross octaves, and are bowed.
If you mixed it on the Ara, it would sound like hot fire on the Singularity.

Just my take on why they are out there like that. It is an easy IEM to become disatisfied with, and it is not an only IEM - it is the Ara, take it or leave it.

I really dont need it, but ive wanted a mammoth since they came out
That's crazy considering how close in tuning they are to the Andro Gold's which I considered to be a bassier Ara on looks alone with the same 7 BA no-crossover set-up. For MSRP, hard sell... for ~500 very interested. Especially to pit against the RN6 and Andro Gold.

Thanks for the reply!

May 8, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #1,145 of 1,151
That's crazy considering how close in tuning they are to the Andro Gold's which I considered to be a bassier Ara on looks alone with the same 7 BA no-crossover set-up. For MSRP, hard sell... for ~500 very interested. Especially to pit against the RN6 and Andro Gold.

Thanks for the reply!
The lack of bass is noticeable, in a way - The entire curve is flat almost, so it never stands out with there are mids and treble at the same time.

However, if you listen to a solo cello you will hear this, or any constant vibratory instrument as it shifts through the intervals. Every bit of passage between the intervals is covered. Its like getting on a roller coaster, buckle up.
With all the other frequencies at the same time, your internal driver (eardrum) cant process the information in the same way and it sounds dull.

listen to rap that has bass and tweeter and vocal going on all over, its very much mathmatical, rather than the heavy emotional drive typically sought in the music. Same for rock, in a different way.

The Andro catered to rock - so it held out.

Who sits around listening to solo cello?

May 8, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #1,147 of 1,151
The lack of bass is noticeable, in a way - The entire curve is flat almost, so it never stands out with there are mids and treble at the same time.

However, if you listen to a solo cello you will hear this, or any constant vibratory instrument as it shifts through the intervals. Every bit of passage between the intervals is covered. Its like getting on a roller coaster, buckle up.
With all the other frequencies at the same time, your internal driver (eardrum) cant process the information in the same way and it sounds dull.

listen to rap that has bass and tweeter and vocal going on all over, its very much mathmatical, rather than the heavy emotional drive typically sought in the music. Same for rock, in a different way.

The Andro catered to rock - so it held out.

Who sits around listening to solo cello?
Have you had any of the OG Solaris or Solaris iterations to compare from memory?

Would you place vocals at the ear (intimate)? The Solaris SE has a slightly diffuse stage which gave it its party trick (not so impressive these days, remember everyone calling it holographic... now everything is holographic or perhaps reviewers fell into the vernacular)

Lastly, would you describe it as genre limited (i.e. don't buy it unless you listen to xy or z)...
or a scalpel worth dissecting a diverse library with for alternative takes/listening of the same stuff? (This new ltd Planar is crying out)

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #1,148 of 1,151
May 9, 2024 at 2:30 AM Post #1,150 of 1,151
Have you had any of the OG Solaris or Solaris iterations to compare from memory?

Would you place vocals at the ear (intimate)? The Solaris SE has a slightly diffuse stage which gave it its party trick (not so impressive these days, remember everyone calling it holographic... now everything is holographic or perhaps reviewers fell into the vernacular)

Lastly, would you describe it as genre limited (i.e. don't buy it unless you listen to xy or z)...
or a scalpel worth dissecting a diverse library with for alternative takes/listening of the same stuff? (This new ltd Planar is crying out)
Sorry, i cannot make any comparison to the Solaris.

location wise - its like being in the studio, tapping the line right out of the booth. Male vocals tend to be more tenor tinted. I listen to a good amount of Kevin Gates - his vocals loose base, because of the way he is being eq'd on on tracks mixed with the digital signature left by editing software. The Ara picks up on it.
If it was comfort genre mixed by some one using the Ara, its going to hit on a single driver or car stereo.

00's rock/scene/fuse music is fricking great on them. Good Charrlot vocals, Story of the year kills, Bullet For my Valentine is insane - this is where that really technical guitar riff runing comes in too.

I listen to pretty much every genre. There is something addictive to the technicality of it.

It has Bass, like a LOAD of it. There is a thunder roll in Bloody Valentine - Good Charlot that actually startled me the first time i heard it on them. It is the only thing on the track at the time and you experience sub bass is all i can say...

I think I nailed it a few pages back ago in this thread when i tried to explain the technicality of this IEM. I dont know that i've heard any thing like it, and i dont know if any one needs it or if every one does, its a wild card. I think you have to burn in to it too, like maybe it drives you a little mad or a little more intellegent listening to it for all those detals, like working out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back