Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
May 2, 2024 at 4:40 AM Post #2,266 of 2,276
I am not sure if you already talked about this, but is there an easy way to exchange the red buttons with silver ones? I really like the Burson design, but the one who decided to make the buttons in different colors should be slapped left and right 😁

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #2,267 of 2,276
I have a 2021 Burson soloist 3x gt coming this week to power my susvara and I have a few questions about the op amp choices. It seems the ss2590 is the preferred choice but where is the best place for the ss2590? I saw the diagram but I am still confused about whether the input buffer, voltage gain or volume control will be a better place for it. Should I also get a pair of 994 to go along with it or does it not make much of a difference. Thanks, just a lot of questions.

May 7, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #2,268 of 2,276
I am not sure if you already talked about this, but is there an easy way to exchange the red buttons with silver ones? I really like the Burson design, but the one who decided to make the buttons in different colors should be slapped left and right 😁
I agree, if I could change mine to silver I would too

May 7, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #2,269 of 2,276
I have a 2021 Burson soloist 3x gt coming this week to power my susvara and I have a few questions about the op amp choices. It seems the ss2590 is the preferred choice but where is the best place for the ss2590? I saw the diagram but I am still confused about whether the input buffer, voltage gain or volume control will be a better place for it. Should I also get a pair of 994 to go along with it or does it not make much of a difference. Thanks, just a lot of questions.
The consensus is that the voltage gain makes the biggest impact, with the input stage next, and the volume stage having the least impact.

My reference configuration is the following:

Voltage: SS2950
Input: SIL994
Volume: SS2950

Frankly, with the SS2590 and SIL994 in the voltage and volume stages, it doesn't really matter what you put into the volume stage. So, I wouldn't recommend getting a second pair of SS2590 (most people don't), but since I have them, I use them.

Others have put the SS2590 in the input stage with desirable effects. It boils down to personal preference and what other components you have in your chain.

I have found that the V7 Vivids are similar to the SS2590, so if you don't want to deal with extenders and figuring out how to make the giant SS2590 fit into your amp, the V7 Vivids are a great alternative.

The SIL994 is a great complement to either, but the V7 Vivid's dynamics don't reach the lows (mid-bass and sub-bass) like the SS2950, so it can be perceived as slightly more bright. This means that the SIL994 combined with the V7 Vivid might be a little too bright because the SIL994 is not really a warm op amp; it has good dynamics and great bass impact, but I think the mid-bass is slightly recessed.

A good combination for me has been the V7 Vivid in the voltage and the V7 Classic in the input, and either the SS2590 or Muzg in the volume. YMMV.

Everyone's experiences have been documented ad nauseum in this thread, including mine.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #2,270 of 2,276
The consensus is that the voltage gain makes the biggest impact, with the input stage next, and the volume stage having the least impact.

My reference configuration is the following:

Voltage: SS2950
Input: SIL994
Volume: SS2950

Frankly, with the SS2590 and SIL994 in the voltage and volume stages, it doesn't really matter what you put into the volume stage. So, I wouldn't recommend getting a second pair of SS2590 (most people don't), but since I have them, I use them.

Others have put the SS2590 in the input stage with desirable effects. It boils down to personal preference and what other components you have in your chain.

I have found that the V7 Vivids are similar to the SS2590, so if you don't want to deal with extenders and figuring out how to make the giant SS2590 fit into your amp, the V7 Vivids are a great alternative.

The SIL994 is a great complement to either, but the V7 Vivid's dynamics don't reach the lows (mid-bass and sub-bass) like the SS2950, so it can be perceived as slightly more bright. This means that the SIL994 combined with the V7 Vivid might be a little too bright because the SIL994 is not really a warm op amp; it has good dynamics and great bass impact, but I think the mid-bass is slightly recessed.

A good combination for me has been the V7 Vivid in the voltage and the V7 Classic in the input, and either the SS2590 or Muzg in the volume. YMMV.

Everyone's experiences have been documented ad nauseum in this thread, including mine.
I like some attack in my amp so I think I will do SS2590 in the voltage stage with extensions, input will be the V7 vivids or SIL994 and I will just leave the V6 vivids as volume. How would you say the SIL994 or v7 vivids differ in sound profile?

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #2,271 of 2,276
I like some attack in my amp so I think I will do SS2590 in the voltage stage with extensions, input will be the V7 vivids or SIL994 and I will just leave the V6 vivids as volume. How would you say the SIL994 or v7 vivids differ in sound profile?
V7 Vivids are more resolving and have a bigger soundstage. SIL994 has best bass impact; dynamics are about equal, I think. SIL994 are best in the input, IMO.

If you ever get a third set of op amps, get something warmer like the V7 Classics, Muzg, or SS3602. While the volume stage has the least impact, putting a warmer set of op amps than the V6 Vivids will help round out the sound. Again, YMMV and it's smart to do incremental changes as you're planning.

I wrote-up some early impressions of V7 vs. Sparkos here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bur...id-state-op-amps.971554/page-11#post-18044401

I still stand by these impressions for the most part.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #2,272 of 2,276
V7 Vivids are more resolving and have a bigger soundstage. SIL994 has best bass impact; dynamics are about equal, I think. SIL994 are best in the input, IMO.

If you ever get a third set of op amps, get something warmer like the V7 Classics, Muzg, or SS3602. While the volume stage has the least impact, putting a warmer set of op amps than the V6 Vivids will help round out the sound. Again, YMMV and it's smart to do incremental changes as you're planning.
Sounds good, I guess its time to find a V7 or SIL994, I have a r2r dac and I am counting on that to give the sound a little warmer signature. If not, I will just get a V7 classic and replace the volume or input stage.

May 7, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #2,273 of 2,276
Sounds good, I guess its time to find a V7 or SIL994, I have a r2r dac and I am counting on that to give the sound a little warmer signature. If not, I will just get a V7 classic and replace the volume or input stage.
Have fun! BTW, I edited the above post with a link to some comparisons I did of the V7 vs. Sparkos. That thread has a lot of good impressions from other members, too.

May 10, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #2,274 of 2,276
Have fun! BTW, I edited the above post with a link to some comparisons I did of the V7 vs. Sparkos. That thread has a lot of good impressions from other members, too.
Any issues putting the soloist on its side with the extensions installed? Thinking of putting the V6 vivid on extensions but wonder whether it will pull it loose if I put it vertical.

May 10, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #2,275 of 2,276
Any issues putting the soloist on its side with the extensions installed? Thinking of putting the V6 vivid on extensions but wonder whether it will pull it loose if I put it vertical.

Hard to say. The op amp slots seem to vary from unit to unit on how loose or tight they hold the op amps. The op amps and extensions also seem to have slight variations in their pins as well. I personally wouldn't try to go vertical with extensions, but whether or not it works will come down to your own situation.

May 10, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #2,276 of 2,276
I'm not going to lie, the SS2590 can be very finnicky due to their size, the need for extenders, and how they will orient themselves when the amp is vertical. I've had to re-seat the op amps several times in order for sound to come through properly.

Pro tip: Don't secure the lid with the screws until you're certain things are working properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back